WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hello from Rio de Janeiro to you all! I'm new to WUS and would very much appreciate to know how you guys manage to take such beautiful pics. What equipment are you using (cameras, filters, special backgrounds, lenses, ilumination tents...)? Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm using an old Sony Alpha NEX-F3 (12mp) with manual lens adapters off Amazon and old Minolta, Konica, etc. Manual Lenses off Ebay.

A solid tripod with a lot of movable axis, is important as well.

Natural Light is your friend.... if you don't have enough light, use a long exposure (This is where the tripod becomes INVALUABLE).

Here's a hand-held shot I took with a manual focus lens.

12826236_1699038537040208_2049931808_n.jpg

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
389 Posts
for reference:
Nikon D600
Usually Nikkor 55mm 2.8 micro or 35mm f2D for watches
all else 50mm 1.4G
tripod and one light/umbrella
Nikon S2 Nikkor 50mm SC 1.4 for film

but seriously, its not the camera

·
Registered
460 Posts
for reference:
Nikon D600
Usually Nikkor 55mm 2.8 micro or 35mm f2D for watches
all else 50mm 1.4G
tripod and one light/umbrella
Nikon S2 Nikkor 50mm SC 1.4 for film

but seriously, its not the camera
The camera is the least important part of the equation.

1st. Lighting.
2nd. Lenses.
3rd. Stable-Platform
4th. Camera.

In that order, in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In that order, in my opinion.
It's not the bow and arrow, it's the Indian! And the Indian seems to be missing from your list ;).

Anyway, there are numerous things more important than the camera. Light, quality even more than quantity (you can always add more), a good idea of what you actually want to show, lots of things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm using a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, either for work purposes (product photography, editorials, ambient pics at our start up) or privately (vacation, food pics). I have a lense that came with it (24-70mm) and an old one (50mm 1.8f) that was pretty cheap. I also have a spare Canon EOS 600D which was my first before I got the Mark III. If I need flashlights (product photography or certain editorials) I use Walimex (some model with 600 watts). Other than that I rent lenses if I need it for specific photography (wide angle for interior, ultra wide angle for smaller rooms or astrophotog, macro for jewelry shots)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I only shoot film and I've old SLRs from the 70s and 80s mostly, but also a 1939 Leica IIIb.

At the moment I am overusing a beatiful Pentax LX with a small kit of K lenses, including a K50 mm f1.2.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fuji x-Pro 2, came out not long ago, big improvement over the 1 and easy to carry around. APS-C. Have some watch pics, will post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Nikon D7100 and 24-70 2.8 lens. The lens was very sharp on my FX camera but I can't help but notice a little back focus now with the D7100. And I kind of miss the creamy background and low noise of FX.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Canon 300D and Canon 7D + Polaroid battery grip.

Canon 18-55, Canon 70-300, Sigma 105 macro, Tamron 18-200, Tamron 10-24, Sigma 150-500. Kenko x2 multiplier.

Various Cokin P Grad filters, screw in UV filters, and a Polarising filter.

Remote and wireless shutters.

Affinity Photo software - (obviously for post processing at home)

Big fecking Tamrac Expedition 8 bag to carry it all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Nikon D4s and a lot of telephoto lenses, I usually shoot sports for my kids. I also have a Fujifilm X100T, which I want to mess around with using for some watch pics as it has a macro feature built in. Going to have to do some playing around to get the hang of it as taking pics of watches is not something I'm accustomed to at all!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I use Nikon DSLRs. Don't have a macro lens anymore so most of my watch photos are taken with the old Nikon 75-150mm lens form 1980 with the now discontinued Nikon 4t close up lens mounted to the front of the lens. And I use a tripod and external flash aimed at the ceiling to bounce the light and make it look like natural lighting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've shot Nikon for years, started with film while in school. The same lens I started with then is the one that I still go to most, the 50mm f1.8. Amazing little lens, tough and affordable. I find myself using my iPhone and GoPro more than the DSLR these days though. With a good editing app like VSCO, you can do most from a mobile device or tablet. I even edit images from my DSLR on my iPhone (via Wifi dongle on the Nikon).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Panasonic Lumix GM5. It was the smallest mirrorless I could find with wifi/NFC and a built-in viewfinder (which I stopped using). You can check out some shots at @sigberto on Instagram (I'm too new to link).

I had a bigger SLR system, but made a full switch after a decade with Canon because I wanted to take my camera traveling more. I can fit my little GM5 and four lenses in a camera bag the size of a lunchbox, about what it took just for my old camera and one lens. With a small fixed lens, I can fit the camera in a jacket pocket and take it around the city any time. The GM5 is on the Micro Four Thirds lens system, so I actually use mostly Olympus Zuiko lenses, usually the fixed 25mm and 45mm f/1.8 lenses. I also have a Panasonic Zoom. If I started shooting watches, I'd immediately get a macro lens, which I only have for my older camera, and some basic desk-photo-lighting equipment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Nikon D4s and a lot of telephoto lenses, I usually shoot sports for my kids. I also have a Fujifilm X100T, which I want to mess around with using for some watch pics as it has a macro feature built in. Going to have to do some playing around to get the hang of it as taking pics of watches is not something I'm accustomed to at all!
I've tried for ebay and for fun. It's frikken' hard! You need perfect lighting to avoid reflections, and I found that a small tri-pod helps a TON. It's a fun challenge if you like photography as a hobbie, more than just for quick shots.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Panasonic Lumix GM5. It was the smallest mirrorless I could find with wifi/NFC and a built-in viewfinder (which I stopped using). You can check out some shots at @sigberto on Instagram (I'm too new to link).

I had a bigger SLR system, but made a full switch after a decade with Canon because I wanted to take my camera traveling more. I can fit my little GM5 and four lenses in a camera bag the size of a lunchbox, about what it took just for my old camera and one lens. With a small fixed lens, I can fit the camera in a jacket pocket and take it around the city any time. The GM5 is on the Micro Four Thirds lens system, so I actually use mostly Olympus Zuiko lenses, usually the fixed 25mm and 45mm f/1.8 lenses. I also have a Panasonic Zoom. If I started shooting watches, I'd immediately get a macro lens, which I only have for my older camera, and some basic desk-photo-lighting equipment.
Good point about size and weights of SLR's. I can't and I won't take my SLR's offshore - due to a too high a risk factor of getting damaged. The roustabouts on the Rigs aren't exactly delicate when they throw your bags into the helicopter baggage compartments.

I did buy a small Canon SX710 for working offshore. We can get some incredible sunsets in some global locations, as well as other sights. The Phone camera just wasn't hacking it well enough. The small Canon gives me control with aperture, shutter speed and ISO. At 20 MP the prints don't come out too badly either - not against the price I paid for it - just over £200 - which in the UK I'll consider a bargain - against the £1000 I paid for the Canon 7D body only.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts