WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm torn on this.

First of all, I love the fact that James Bond has worn luxury timepieces like Rolex and Omega: they're beautiful watches, pleasing to the eye, and they're very classy. Personally, I prefer Omega to Rolex, but this is another discussion for another day. What makes me think is whether someone like Bond or Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt would wear such things in real life. For the situations that they find themselves in, is it realistic for them to wear watches that, in some cases, cost around $10,000? I understand that these are just movies, but Bond has worn Seiko and Hunt wore a Casio DW-290 ($25 on Amazon) in Mission: Impossible, a G-Shock in Mission: Impossible 2 and 3, and eventually switched to a Tudor in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. One of Hunt's partners, William Brandt, played by Jeremy Renner, wears a Rolex. So we find these guys wearing high end watches and watches that just about anyone can afford. But what do real people in their line of work wear? I mean, they do exist: just check out the Special Activities Division. Believe it or not, they are above units like SEAL Team 6/DEVGRU, have no uniform, and probably work alone. It's probably not very realistic for Bond to be wearing a $6,000 Aqua Terra, nor Aaron Across (in The Bourne Legacy) to be wearing a $9,000+ IWC.

On the one hand, these watches are flashy and people want to see these characters being bad asses and looking good while doing it. On the other hand, it seems impractical to me when a simple G-Shock or Seiko would do the job just fine. How do you feel about what Bond, Bourne, and Hunt wear? What would you choose if you were in their position (in real life)? If you think these guys should be wearing something else, what should it be and why?

·
Registered
838 Posts
If they appreciated watches, they'd wear nice watches - same as anyone here I'd imagine!

If someone employed by defence/security organisations like MI6 acted like Bond they'd be sent packing within a week. People like that don't exist as there is far too stringent checks on operative funding and institutional bureaucratic processes. He'd sit behind a desk most of the time. I want to work in defence/intelligence/security type fields upon qualification.

I do love a bit of Bond though!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they appreciated watches, they'd wear nice watches - same as anyone here I'd imagine!
Sure, but can these luxury watches take the kinds of punishment that they're put through in these films, or is it just about the pizazz?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Probably. I mean its not often Bond leaves a villains clutch without anything more than a bruised pair of plums or a bit of a graze.

Mostly its a pizazz thing though...Omega would pay an absolute fortune for that placement and probably with huge dividends. That was why Skyfall moved from the martini to the Heineken after all.

Bottom line though, I'd fight baddies wearing a PO :)

Reactions: jtstav

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably. I mean its not often Bond leaves a villains clutch without anything more than a bruised pair of plums or a bit of a graze.

Mostly its a pizazz thing though...Omega would pay an absolute fortune for that placement and probably with huge dividends. That was why Skyfall moved from the martini to the Heineken after all.

Bottom line though, I'd fight baddies wearing a PO :)
Ha, I'd probably go with a Planet Ocean as well, even though my latest acquisition would probably do a much better job:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/so-just-came-mail-846038.html

I don't know. I can see a PO on a rubber strap being great for exploring the urban or natural jungles or diving or any kind or "extreme activities," but I guess I just don't see the practicality of it. G-Shocks are built better, more functional, cheaper, and can take more abuse. For example, if I owned a PO on a rubber strap, I most certainly would not go swimming with it... even if I was staying at a luxurious hotel in Shanghai. :-d

To hell with consumerism. I am a slave to it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Makes me curious as to what Craig himself gets out of having the burden of being paid to wear an Omega every day.

I agree though, I dabbled in acrobatics for a couple of years and it culminated with one or two experiments with freerunning. Most definitely wouldn't be wearing anything while doing that. Not only does a watch constrain wrist flexibility but it would get an absolute pounding.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Wearing a non dress watch with tuxedo at a black tie event would look out of place enough to draw unnecessary attention.

Not sure if this would be a good thing for a secret agent like Mr Bond is portraying to be.

He really should be wearing some small dress watch with leather strap with quartz.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Only civilians count time in minutes and hours elapsed.
Bond counts time in martinis served and girls seduced.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think it depends on the mission. as said above, if there is an event where the agent has to be wearing a suit (like maybe a bodyguard mission), the watch has to be appropriate to the looks and fashion of the society. I can't name anything here because I know nothing about style :roll:

I imagine all the gear and weapons and clothes change with every mission mostly. if you think about it like shoes and boots, you see that there is a specialized type for every use - pretty sure that's the case with watches too b-)
so if there is a more military mission I do believe somethig like a typical G-Shock might be used. easy to read digits are always handy, as are timers and alarms. or maybe a proper timex...
so my vote goes, as always, to the GW-M 5600/5610 models. slim, light and useful little devils.

Mr. Bond would use it for sure, and after a crazy adventure in the jungles he'd come out, dust his sleeves off and hands the watch to the nearest little kid saying something fun and clever :)

best,
Mikey b-)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bond should wear something nearly indistructable IMO. Something like a Sinn or a Demasko (due to their hardened steel cases). Then again, Kelsey Grammer once said "if James Bond had any style he'd be wearing an AP" (paraphrase). I agree with Kelsey.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Makes me curious as to what Craig himself gets out of having the burden of being paid to wear an Omega every day.
I don't think he does. He's a Rolex collector, and it's quite likely that he has an agreement that he wears an Omega when on Bond 'duty'.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Why will james bond be wearing a sinn or a damasko? They r German.
He's English Spy. He should be wearing a Bremont.

As for Jason Bourne. If he is real. I m kind of sure he will be wearing a secret service issued jorg gray.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Bond wears just ONE watch. He can't be bothered with extra baggage--he travels light. He needs a solid timepiece that can serve multiple purposes, one of which is to look supremely stylish. As shnjb said, Bond is periodically dressed up in a tuxedo or other formal attire. A digital watch won't telegraph wealth/prestige. So... no digital watches for him.

Besides, the other consideration is that his watch is usually a specially modified one by tech agent Q. They settled on doing their mods on Omega, nothing else. Essentially, Bond doesn't have much choice in the matter and I don't think he minds. ;-)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Bond wore a Rolex because Ian Flemming wore a Rolex.

·
Registered
769 Posts
But it's a government issued piece of equipment. He breaks it he gets a new one. I'm sure it gets replaced every month or so without concern. And it does need to be multipurpose for different settings so it has to be useful from tuxedo to wet suit.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Well, James Bond and Ethan Hunt are very different spies. Bond is undercover in the ritziest of places, often wearing a suit or tuxedo. An expensive watch fits him. Hunt is more of an active field agent, so something durable and accurate matters.

When working undercover, the idea is to be convincing. A G-Shock would look out of place at a poker match with a $10 million buy-in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I met someone who did select things around the world and in this casual setting he was wearing a digital watch of the G-Shock sort.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
There was a time when there were no G-Shocks. Men, and women, went to war in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and were wearing stainless steel watches, to include Submariners. A Submariner, as well as a Seamaster, can handle James Bond and his ilk.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Bond should wear something nearly indistructable IMO. Something like a Sinn or a Demasko (due to their hardened steel cases). Then again, Kelsey Grammer once said "if James Bond had any style he'd be wearing an AP" (paraphrase). I agree with Kelsey.
or a Bremont.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts