WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, all my upcoming trips were cancelled because of the stupid virus and I'm stuck home and bored. I now have a bit of money over and I'm hoping to purchase a new watch. I was hoping for something Rolex milsub inspired. I definitely do not want a Steinhart and preferably not a date but that's about the only criteria. I've looked at SIlver but they don't seem to be in production any longer. Tiger concept looks good but I've heard their quality is subpar and the same goes for Watch experimental unit.

Any opinions of models or brands I should look at?

·
Premium Member
Ball x2, B&M, CW, Edox, Eterna, Glycine, Hamilton, Marathon, MG x2, Mido, ML, Tag, Tissot, Yema
327 Posts
I'm looking at a Rado Captain Cook. Nice watch.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The thing about Milsub Homage watches are that there are loads of them from under £/$100 to several thousands. I think you need to think about what movement you would prefer and go from there or decide on a dial size and use that as your criteria.
Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing about Milsub Homage watches are that there are loads of them from under £/$100 to several thousands. I think you need to think about what movement you would prefer and go from there or decide on a dial size and use that as your criteria.
Best regards,
Jim
Just looking for something to have some fun so $0-$700 maybe. Will probably sell it but I want to know if the milsub is A watch that would suit me before making a purchase (will take a long time until I get there though)

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the ginault ocean rover fall into this category?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I’ve checked them out multiple times and they’re beautiful! However, maybe a bit to expensive for what I’m going to be using it for. For that money I would probably buy a vintage omega :)

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
What's wrong with the Steinhart? I'm not particularly a fan but at least you get fairly solid QC, build and finish, and a good movement. It's in your budget.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's wrong with the Steinhart? I'm not particularly a fan but at least you get fairly solid QC, build and finish, and a good movement. It's in your budget.
I don't really have an answer haha. It's a bit of a double standard considering I'm buying a homage but there's just something about the brand that turns me off. No real reason though he he

Reactions: catsteeth

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I don't really have an answer haha. It's a bit of a double standard considering I'm buying a homage but there's just something about the brand that turns me off. No real reason though he he
I can get that. I really like their Marine Officer bronze Chrono', a reasonably original design. Yet because the rest of the brand is 75% homages, I just couldn't buy it. It's a shame because it's a great watch at a good price, with at least some Swiss reliability in it.

Good luck in your quest. I'd be tempted to find a used Silver brand watch.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Best regards,
Jim
WD

I'd appreciate a list as I can only think of Ginault & Steinhart - and I dont really want either of those - but something in between

·
Registered
264 Posts
Although you have some doubts about the Steinhart, I don't think it gets any better than that, especially considering the particular model. Really good build quality, great ETA, swiss made, the whole watch is spot on including the price tag.

Good luck! Do share if you manage to find anything better.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Although you have some doubts about the Steinhart, I don't think it gets any better than that, especially considering the particular model. Really good build quality, great ETA, swiss made, the whole watch is spot on including the price tag.

Good luck! Do share if you manage to find anything better.
I know you're right and I'm probably stupid but I rather get a little pit worse quality for the same money than having steinhart on the dial

·
Registered
895 Posts
When I just "had" to have a 5517 homage I made my own LHD version with a Tudor 9401/0, it was my watersports watch for close to 20 years. Then I returned it to normal had it serviced and gave it to my son when he graduated a service academy. When I created it, the base watch cost me $400, an impossible feat these days, just pick a dif base watch, all the parts are much easier to source nowadays.
5517swhsmall.jpg

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
Oh dear, I think Steinhart watches are the dog‘s doo dah’s but if you don’t like them I’m certainly not going to push the matter. TBH Patek watches do nothing for me and that’s a hanging offence in these parts. You like what you like.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts