WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might as well get the watch that replaced the Milsub for the Royal Navy: 1980 CWC ROYAL NAVY DIVER
I really like their watches - I bought a Mellor-72 Mechanical that's firmly on my rotation, and was extremely satisfied with the quality. Definitely a piece that in my opinion stands out on its own, and not a homage. I am also very happy with my Steinhart (similar model) but I get that some people may not like them as much. If I may add, I'd go for the C3 lume which is the one that the watch would have come with for its original purpose, and not the faux-vintage options, but everyone has its preferences.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
You might as well get the watch that replaced the Milsub for the Royal Navy: 1980 CWC ROYAL NAVY DIVER
I really like their watches - I bought a Mellor-72 Mechanical that's firmly on my rotation, and was extremely satisfied with the quality. Definitely a piece that in my opinion stands out on its own, and not a homage. I am also very happy with my Steinhart (similar model) but I get that some people may not like them as much. If I may add, I'd go for the C3 lume which is the one that the watch would have come with for its original purpose, and not the faux-vintage options, but everyone has its preferences.
/\/\ THIS /\/\

Reactions: Dr_Spielmann

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Steinhart OVM 39
Armida A9
Silver Watch Co.

Only the Steinart may be available new. Armida has a three hand milsub styled variant on sale now, but it has a fully lumed sapphire bezel, so not very “vintage.” Don’t know if they will do a traditional model anytime soon.

There were a limited number of aluminum bezeled A9 milsubs produced a few years back in several variants (ETA or Seiko movement, applied or printed markers) but they seem to show up infrequently on the used market. Similarly Silver did a short run of a couple of milsub variants, but they have now closed up shop. Also hard to find on the used market. The quality for the $400 admission fee on both is pretty good (I own both though the Silver is a Tudor homage).

I would look for a gently used OVM 39 to see if you like the style; but realize it isn’t using a sub clone case. Still, a nice looking watch and from what I have read and seen in vids and pics, the quality seems on par with Armida & Silver.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Start looking for a used NTH Amphion?

There's a Commando version with date on the NTH website Nearly New section, and you can buy the original bezel insert for it, which would put you just under $700. But wait long enough and you may be able to score a deal on a gently used Amphion. Along with the OG and Commando, there was also a Dark Gilt version, which a lot of people preferred.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a couple more at a lower cost:

The quartz version of the CWC watch I posted earlier: CWC ROYAL NAVY DIVER ISSUE SPEC (QM60) This one was issued to Royal Navy divers from 1990 till recently, 300M water resistance. A fastastic diver that can be worn daily - if you're open to quality quartz movements, this could be a no-brainer.

Lorier Neptune: NEPTUNE SIII - BLACK/GILT This microbrand has better reviews than most, and they have a language of their own, which elevates them over a lot of vintage-focused & homage-focused microbrands.

This one Precista Royal Navy Diver PRS-82 Timefactors The Precista was originally part of the same trio of Royal Navy Divers (together with Rolex & CWC). The brand is now owned by Time Factors and Eddie has a solid reputation, making quality watches for a very good price. Hard to beat considering it comes with an ETA2824-2 movement.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
OK last one from me. Owner of the brand has been flogging these on FB. It's got a Miyota 8215 movement and doesn't mention sapphire, so probably mineral glass, but the price is right...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe check Cincinnati watch company as well! They are producing a blue dial and black dial milsub with great specs and Swiss movement I believe and under 500! It’s still on preorder but delivery is Jan - March if you don’t mind the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've read through this entire thread and my recurring thought is that OP wants and desires a Steinhart but dislikes and abhors Steinhart.

Some of us have been in similar situations when it comes to a partner or mate, so my advice is to go for it.

Schizophrenic attraction and repulsion has its merits.

·
Registered
903 Posts
After re-reading this again, the Tiger looks like a great deal, no logo under $250 delivered, the Steinhart OVM 39 "has" to be a better watch, so how about a BSH no-date dial on one?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well, all my upcoming trips were cancelled because of the stupid virus and I'm stuck home and bored. I now have a bit of money over and I'm hoping to purchase a new watch. I was hoping for something Rolex milsub inspired. I definitely do not want a Steinhart and preferably not a date but that's about the only criteria. I've looked at SIlver but they don't seem to be in production any longer. Tiger concept looks good but I've heard their quality is subpar and the same goes for Watch experimental unit.

Any opinions of models or brands I should look at?

View attachment 15535347

Have I got a deal for you!!! Only $50.34...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts