WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
One NTH Amphion Vintage Gilt just came back into stock at Watch Gauge. It's the last new one left available worldwide.

Reactions: VincentG

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One NTH Amphion Vintage Gilt just came back into stock at Watch Gauge. It's the last new one left available worldwide.
View attachment 15540643
View attachment 15540631

God damn it looks good!

Reactions: docvail

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many of the watches mentioned, while Submariner homages, are not Milsub homages. I'm having the same dilemma. The WMT looks amazing because it looks exactly like the original and can even be aged, but I'm also not sure how I feel about that. I also like the Steinhart OVM 39mm (the 42mm looks more like the original, but it's too big) because it has the vibe down but it's its own thing, and it's quality is outstanding. It's a real tool watch. I've decided to build my own to get a taste of it and see how much I like it. It'll cost me a couple of hundred bucks.

I struggle with homages like the WMT because I get hung up on what other people will think, especially as I know people who do wear high end watches including Rolexes. I'd like to not care, but that's how I was raised. I think I'd feel more comfortable wearing the Steinhart for this reason, but I'd enjoy looking at WMT more on my wrist because it really looks like my grail watch that I will never get.

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
20 or so years ago in my collecting heyday I realized I was not going to be able to own a 5517, so I did the next best thing, an homage based on a 9401/0, it was my gada on the water watch for all the time I had it, I then returned it to normal had it serviced and gave it to my son for his college graduation. Going through the process of servicing the watch was a rude awakening to the new realities of where Rolex collecting is at and I was left completely disgusted by it all. It was a good 20 year run is all I can say :)
5517swh.JPG

·
Registered
296 Posts
The problem with most of these homages is that they still look distinctly modern because everything is bigger about them: the case is usually over 40mm instead of 39 or under, the bezel is wider and chunkier, and the cases are almost always thicker (usually that's the fault of the movements, modern autos tend to be thicker). The materials are usually upgraded as well, which is great for quality, but not great if you want that warm, vintage look of soft acrylic distortion or faded aluminum bezels, instead of the modern offerings of crisp scratch-free sapphire and glossy ceramic bezels. Finally, the vintage bracelets were thin, jangly, and light, unlike the solid blocks of tightly assembled steel you get out of China now for $10 or less.

So, you need to decide if you really want to chase that original vintage look and feel, or you want to accept modern specs and materials.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Or you could build one

IMG_5648.jpg

This was the base 89.0US $ |Antique Watch 1960 Watch Men's 39.5mm Japanese NH35 Movement Black Sterile Dial Black Aluminum Plate Bezel green Luminous G11|Mechanical Watches| - AliExpress which works for you because the dial is sterile and has no date window.
You could just change the hands and the insert with a 60 mins graduated and you’d be pretty much done.
Comes also with a bracelet that you can remove but it’s nice to have the option of having it if you fancy a change.

NH35 powered, acrylic crystal, and 39.5mm diameter.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I’ll second the recommendations several prior posters:

CWC Royal Navy Diver Quartz (auto may be close to used Omega price territory)
Armida A9 (used aluminum bezel model)
Silver milsub (used, again if you can find one)

I have each of these (though my Silver, too, is a Tudor snowflake homage) and the quality on each is certainly acceptable for the price charged. The CWC is a bit nicer all around than the others, but not a sub homage - just the MoD specified dial, handset & bezel.

The Dagaz offering looks attractive, though I have no experience with it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tiger Concept 5513 Sub owner, can vouch that it has decent quality for the price. I'm sure there are higher quality brands out there, like the Steinhart OVM. But from what I've seen, the Steinhart uses a different case shape to the actual Milsub, if you care for those differences. I did, so the Steinhart was a no-go, and this Tiger Concept was a decent affordable way for me to give that Vintage Sub look a go. Mine's not exactly a Milsub configuration, but you can get William at Tiger Concept to customise your watch for you, the Milsub hands/dial/bezel swaps right over.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Tiger Concept 5513 Sub owner, can vouch that it has decent quality for the price. I'm sure there are higher quality brands out there, like the Steinhart OVM. But from what I've seen, the Steinhart uses a different case shape to the actual Milsub, if you care for those differences. I did, so the Steinhart was a no-go, and this Tiger Concept was a decent affordable way for me to give that Vintage Sub look a go. Mine's not exactly a Milsub configuration, but you can get William at Tiger Concept to customise your watch for you, the Milsub hands/dial/bezel swaps right over.
View attachment 15902342
View attachment 15902343
It looks amazing! When you say decent quality could you elaborate a little? :) thinking of picking one up but I’m afraid of it feeling cheap and the bracelet rattling, thanks!

·
Registered
484 Posts
It looks amazing! When you say decent quality could you elaborate a little? :) thinking of picking one up but I’m afraid of it feeling cheap and the bracelet rattling, thanks!
I can't really comment on the bracelet, as I'm using an aftermarket bracelet designed for an Invicta Sub. The endlinks happen to be a pretty good fit, but there's some amount of play/rattle in the bracelet. As for the watch head itself, bezel action is solid and ratchety, and the crown action is very satisfactory. The case finishing is good and inline with what I feel is expected at this price. Not a total spec monster like some other microbrands and mushroom brands out of Aliexpress.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts