WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a sin on here but I am confused....
I am in love with two watches but can only afford one

1st watch is the chronomat evolution with the mother of pearl face
2nd watch is the planet Ocean Omega with the 45.5mm case

I am dealing with a real honest AD of both and he recomends the Omega he says the service is better and the new co-aial movement is unbeatable.
I must say he is the first to tell me that, most AD's think of Breitling as a superior watch. This sales rep makes less for selling me the Omega so I have to at least appreciate a move that seemingly has no financial motivation.

I love the look of both watches. I love the Bling factor behind the breitling man that watch is a head turner. I also love the option of a Blue strap and a green strap on it, I think that is a nice combo. on the other hand

The omega is $1000 cheaper and it as a subtle sporty appeal to it. It does not look good on any strap other than an orange or black (not too fond of the orange). You can't even put it on a brown strap (and still have it look good anyway). He said I could have the strap of the Omega high polishedand that would add a bling factor he said they use the same steel so it would be easy, but since they are and AD they can't do it themselves.

I am a huge guy so I love big watches. I am also young so I love the bling factor of the Breitling more than I like the sporty look of the Omega but is high polishing the omega going to make it look stupid. Is the Breitling service as good as Omega? Should I even worry? will this watch have any problems? Is Breitling that much more prestigious??? What about the women factor (getting their attention I mean)?

Somebody who knows a lot about watches please HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Okay, UPWS, here's my take on your situation.
I have placed my responses within your original post so that I could tackle each one separately. Here goes nothin'-

This might be a sin on here but I am confused....
I am in love with two watches but can only afford one

1st watch is the chronomat evolution with the mother of pearl face
2nd watch is the planet Ocean Omega with the 45.5mm case

I am dealing with a real honest AD of both and he recomends the Omega he says the service is better and the new co-aial movement is unbeatable.
I must say he is the first to tell me that, most AD's think of Breitling as a superior watch. This sales rep makes less for selling me the Omega so I have to at least appreciate a move that seemingly has no financial motivation.

The Omega will cost you less to service in the long run. Not just because of the Co-Axial Escapement, which should go about six-seven years before needing to be serviced, but also because I have found that Breitling charge more for servicing than Omega does.

I love the look of both watches. I love the Bling factor behind the breitling man that watch is a head turner. I also love the option of a Blue strap and a green strap on it, I think that is a nice combo. on the other hand

The omega is $1000 cheaper and it as a subtle sporty appeal to it. It does not look good on any strap other than an orange or black (not too fond of the orange). You can't even put it on a brown strap (and still have it look good anyway). He said I could have the strap of the Omega high polishedand that would add a bling factor he said they use the same steel so it would be easy, but since they are and AD they can't do it themselves.

Regarding the bling factor, well, yes, the BreitLING (ya get it, ya get it!!??) definitely has it going on, but the Omega is a more understated watch and it's design will not date as fast as the Chrono Evolution. And there's something about mother-of-pearl on a man's watch that really bugs me for some reason. Besides, I once told a customer that "when you go through life, you don't get remembered for what watch you have on your wrist, you get remembered for who you are, what you say, and what you do."

I am a huge guy so I love big watches. I am also young so I love the bling factor of the Breitling more than I like the sporty look of the Omega but is high polishing the omega going to make it look stupid. Is the Breitling service as good as Omega? Should I even worry? will this watch have any problems? Is Breitling that much more prestigious??? What about the women factor (getting their attention I mean)?

If you are a big guy, then either watch will work. Both watches will give you decades of excellent time-keeping. Breitling has aimed itself at a more prestigious level, but I personally don't see the evidence in the watches themselves and I think some of the cost is for the design of the watch (some people would say 'over-design'. but that's another story). Mechanically, both brands are pretty evenly matched, but I think the Co-Axial in the Omega gives it a definite edge over the Breitling.
Also, with regard to high-polished finishes, if it is done well, it can make the watch look very bling. Most Breitlings have a high polished finish to their cases. In fact, in the Chronomat Evolution range, the only model that is matte-finished is the new Blackbird model.
As for the women factor, well, both watches may get their attention, but then it's up to you (you handsome dog, you) to keep them interested.

Somebody who knows a lot about watches please HELP!!!!!
I sell a lot of watches UPWS, but what the hell would I know?
Anyway, when all is said and done, the watch you choose will be the right choice for you and to hell with what anybody else thinks. After all, you're the guy that paid for the watch.
Remember, everything I've said is just my 2c.
Good luck.

teeritz

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Go with the coax, it is of much more better quality than the breitling which has a stock engraved eta inside its case. Truth to be told, Omega was always of far better quality than Breitling wether it comes to movements, case, reliability and accuracy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with George. The Omega has the better movement, and a classier look. Breitlings are fabulous, but are a little "over the top" with some of their models from a design perspective.

That being said, if the Breitling calls (screams?) to you, the go for it. There's really not a bad decision here :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
or you could end up like me? and a few other forum members with an omega and a breitling. As for which is better? the one that when you look at your wrist makes you smile.

My problem is all my watches make me smile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, UPWS, here's my take on your situation.
I have placed my responses within your original post so that I could tackle each one separately. Here goes nothin'-

I sell a lot of watches UPWS, but what the hell would I know?
Anyway, when all is said and done, the watch you choose will be the right choice for you and to hell with what anybody else thinks. After all, you're the guy that paid for the watch.
Remember, everything I've said is just my 2c.
Good luck.

teeritz

THANK YOU GUYS IT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
What about the women factor (getting their attention I mean)?
As a woman, I can tell you that most of my female friends don't notice a guy's watch. A few will notice if it's a Rolex but otherwise watches are not what we're looking at. ;-)

That said, I'm unusual since I always notice a man's watch...which is why I'm hanging out on a watch forum. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts