WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in the WUS forums, so I apologize if my thread is in the wrong place - please let me know if I should move it (and be nice) :-d

I have spent about a month now navigating through different threads on this site, trying my best to learn the elementary of watches, their mechanisms and the different brands. I am of course familiar with basics by now, and I feel ready to move on to actually purchasing a proper (budgeted) watch.

My enthusiasm, if I can call it that, began as I was looking for a watch for my girlfriends birthday, which is later next month (September). It did not take long before I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I was lucky enough to have a friend in the watch-making business who could guide me in the right direction, but apart from that I was (and kind of still am) on my own feet.

Now I know how incredibly many watch styles, categories and brands there are to choose from, and I didn't want to be the guy asking "which watch should I get for $x?" without being more specific. So I have spent some time on this, and narrowed my interests down to a couple of brands/models, and then from here I was hoping to get a more experienced opinion.

As of now I really want to get something from perpetual-watch (perhaps the chronograph C-06 pictured). I love the thought of a small company with competition-worthy products, their designs are great, and their build quality seems good too. The only thing is that I am still too much of an amateur to know wether or not I can trust them, even though their reviews are great.
chronograph_C-06_III__1377874439_84.211.105.228.jpg

The alternative would be something from CW (Victoria - leather strap pictured). As you probably are can tell, I am looking for something simple, classic and with a strap. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of CW's women's watches, but I have the impression that the brand delivers great quality for the price, and is trustworthy, which is important to me.
R30-ROM-SWK_8__1377874511_84.211.105.228.jpg

So what do you think? I'm on a budget since I'm fairly young, so don't really want to spend more than $500..

So far I've also looked at watches from UHR, Tissot, Hamilton, Aristo, Archimede, Stowa, Strela and a few other more renown brands. I just keep going back to perpetual.. Can I trust my guts on this one, or should I keep looking?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Hi,welcome...I've never heard of Perpetual Watch Co.....Christopher Ward, I own a C-60....They make a good watch and you
can do allot worse, and little better.....IMHO.
Good luck and good hunting

PS
I searched Perpetual Watch Co.. It is in fact a Chinese watch. In my opinion it is in no way
close to the quality of CW....IMHO you should buy a quality watch and that would be Swiss,
as in the CW watch.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The Perpetual looks great. I heard about the brand a while back but never really paid much attention but the design is very nice. If you should decide on the Perpetual you should find out which movement it uses and whether it could be serviced locally.
The Perpetual @ 41mm could be on the large side for the girl friend.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
Like LBF I have never heard of Perpetual. CW has a good reputation for providing excellent quality watches at a top notch price. The Perpetual seems to be calling to you (though the quality is not likely to match the CW) so if you decide to go that way check what movement is in it and ascertain that you can get it serviced with some degree of ease.

·
Premium Member
36,086 Posts
I think you would be happier with a Christopher Ward, as their customer service is most excellent should anything happen down the road, and it is a very well built watch for the price.

All of your other choices you listed would be good pieces as well, just comes down to your personal preference.

It it were me, for a beginning watch, I would choose a recognized name brand instead of something less common because of the proven quality and service support the name brands offer.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If the watch is a gift for the girlfriend, why don't you start playing with YOUR watches when she's around and ask her questions about them to gauge what SHE would want in a watch. Taste and preferences in watches can be a very personal thing, so figure out what she likes and dislikes. The key to gift giving is that it should be the gift they would want to receive, not the gift you want to give.

-hayday

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Perpetual is a Chinese brand. Good Chinese Mechanical Watches/Direct From Hong Kong Workshop/$150

I have looked at their stuff before. They are probably one of the better Chinese brands. Many of their watches come with sapphire crystals and they use Sea-gull movements. They are mostly sold out, but browse their site fully to find what's currently for sale.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You mentioned Stowa as a brand you've looked at. If you have the budget, Stowa is about as good of value for money as you can find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey again,

So thank you for the feedback, and sorry for the late reply - I've been quite busy lately.

Hayday - you made a great point, although I should of known/thought of that myself.. I guess it's because I have a greater interest for watches then she does that I've kept asking myself what would be the right choice, although it's not for me. I've kept your post in mind since, which brings us to the second point:

I had narrowed my choices down to two, but then I was foolish enough to keep looking at other brands, and my interest grew again. So now two more have been added to my list; the Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline and the Citizen Eco-Drive Ciena.
Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 6.28.25 PM.jpg EM0093-08H_fullsize.png
But I'm definitely not going for the PerpetuaL - I'll get that for my self some time :) Although I personally would love the watch, I'm not so sure she would share the same fascination for it. The others (CW/H./C.) are cleaner and more simple.. I honestly don't believe she'll care for what features or movement the watch has.

mpalmer; the same goes for Stowa - I think I'll get her something from a more generally "recognized" brand (cf. Nokie's comment), but thank you anyways. I've added Stowa to my personal wish-list along with PerpetuaL

And Sea0bass, crucial point; I almost forgot that size could be an issue (absolutely no pun intendend), which shows how much of a newbie I am, so thank you..

Does anyone have experience with Hamilton/Citizen/CW? Most reviews seem pretty good (I'll btw try to write a review myself once I'm done with this, given I have enough competence) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts