WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this watch for a while and finally got around to wearing it. I was wondering what spring bars are correct for this type of lug? The bars I have are too skinny and fall out of the hole. My watchmaker suggested fat spring bars that fit but I am worried that they may wear the lug holes down and become bigger?
20190705_183158_resized.jpg 20190705_183215_resized.jpg

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Hard to tell with pictures not showing the spring bars but because it has drilled lugs, maybe shoulderless bars wound work.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My watchmaker suggested fat spring bars that fit but I am worried that they may wear the lug holes down and become bigger?
He's given you good advise, and no the fatter spring bars probably won't wear out the lug holes, at least in our lifetime.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Standard spring bars are 1.8 mm. If they're currently 1.8 mm. Someone may have drilled out the lug holes to make them wider

Fat spring bars tend to be 2.5 mm, but don't think you have enough lug space to fit them and a strap as they will move strap closer to the case due to thickness

DON

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I think the watchmaker meant a thicker body springbar and not a bigger tip one.

On my Bulova watch like that one, I use a 1.8mm thick springbar with ether a double flange(those collar looking things at each end) or a 1.8mm thick single or double shoulder spring bar

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My watchmaker did indeed put shoulder less spring bars in the watch and they clicked in nicely. Only problem is that as you can see in the picture the top strap is crooked, not sure why, the lugs are not bent? Also, would a tapered strap be period correct for a watch like this?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
From the picture, it looks like the right upper lug, at 1 o'clock, looks to be bent inwards. All the rest look straight

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
As has been already said, it has a slightly bent lug.
I am sure that the watch has seen many adventures in its day.

It probably left the factory with a leather strap but probably left the Bulova store with a expansion band(which was the style of that era)

I am not talking about the hair pulling one band fits many sizes type of expansion band of the 1970's and 1980's but of the one size only version. It would have gotten a 16mm (or whatever the inches equivalent was) expansion band.

Here are a couple of mine with this type of expansion band. These have got to be 60 or 70 years old and no inner lug wear to the watch.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts