WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
40,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At WatchUSeek we know that every watch you own doesn't just tell time, it also tells a story, which is why we've partnered with NOMOS Glashütte for something we're calling #myNOMOS.

So, what story does your NOMOS tell? Let us hear it below!

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,676 Posts
Not sure my NOMOS watches tell a story.

Anyway, my first NOMOS was the Tangente „Kleinstkredit".

This special edition "Kleinskredit" which translates into „micro credit" or „small loan" was one of the Wempe 100 edition on the occasion of the 100th birthday of Wempe and was available from Wempe from February 2005. The models (Tangente, Ludwig, Tetra and Orion) were each limited to 100 pieces. The watches differed from the classic version by a small % at "6".

This NOMOS was equipped with the 1 T manual wind movement with hour and minute display, small seconds at 6 o'clock, silver-plated dial, black minute dial, Arabic numerals, blued steel hands, stainless steel case, water-resistant to 3 ATM, sapphire crystal, hand-sewn Shell Cordovan leather strap.

Over time some other Nomos watches joined the „Kleinstkredit".

[Tetra „Goldelse", another limited edition]

[Club Campus neomatik]

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My story is one of initial disappointment not with the watch but that I could not buy it.
I first saw the original German version of the "Doctors Without Borders" Tangente while on holiday in Dresden in 2012. I liked it very much and Nomos donated 100euros to the charity for every watch sold. When I got home I tried to buy it but found that it was not available in the UK or on the Nomos site.

Later I found a Dealer in Germany who sourced one from a German AD. I have been very pleased with it and wear it every weekend.
What is not obvious from pictures is that this limited edition of 1000 does not have blued hands, they are black. I do not know when this version was launched.

I was a little disappointed that it was not so limited after all when a UK version came out and then a US version, which of course had to be larger, although it was more money for MSF.

Still accurate and in good shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My Ahoi is in some ways the story of an 8 year watch journey and my job with my current employer. My first nice watch was a preowned Tangente 35mm that I bought after randomly coming across a Hodinkee article at some point in 2012. I was not a connoisseur of watches or watch content at that time, so I have no recollection of how I would have come across that article, but after seeing it I knew I had to have one. Somehow, I remained completely content with that one watch for a couple of years until the Ahoi Atlantik was announced. I appreciated the Bauhaus influence of the Tangente, but really wanted something a bit more fun. The Atlantik, with its added water resistance, increased size, perlon strap and the orange second hand really spoke to me. It was the first watch that I purchased new from a dealer. I loved everything about the Atlantik, just ended up wishing it was more of a regular blue and decided to move it on. This was probably a mistake, but it really kicked off a journey for me where I ended up going through a lot of different Nomos watches and watches in general, though always managing to have at least one Nomos in my collection at all times. Since then, I've done my best to read every piece of news about Nomos that I can find. I was even able to tour the factory back in 2017 while on a day trip during my vacation in Prague. You might say I'm a fan...

However, I never gave much further consideration to the Ahoi again until a couple years ago on a trip to Copenhagen. I've worked for a Danish company since 2012 (the same year I bought my first Nomos) and in 2018 I had to visit our headquarters four times over a four month period for some specific training. During that 3rd visit that April, I stopped at the local Bucherer dealer one evening when I had some free time to myself and spotted an Ahoi in a blue color that I had never seen before, too dark to be the Signalblau, to light to be the Atlantik. I asked the saleswoman if she knew anything about it's unique color and she had no information. The color though, it was exactly what I had been dreaming of when I sold my first Ahoi. I decided then that I had to have it and it's been my number one watch among rotating assortment of others since. I did end up messaging Nomos on Instagram to figure out what it was...they got back to me quickly and it turns out it is a limited edition of 74 watches they made for Bucherer boutiques in Germany and northern Europe in the summer of 2017.

I've brought this watch on virtually every work and personal trip with me since I've had it, both in the US as well as Internationally. It's been hiking, in the ocean, on business trips and to weddings with me, a true go anywhere do anything type of watch. My Nomos Ahoi represents the epitome of what I like about watches and Nomos in particular, classical styling with hints of playfulness. Its a reminder of all my time spent in Copenhagen, my favorite city in the world and a place that I was supposed to travel to a few times this year but can't due to the pandemic. And of course its tied to the memories of all those people and places I've encountered with it on my wrist.

From the store in Copenhagen the day I found it:

Hiking in Montreal:

Urban "Hiking" in NYC

Getting Gelato in Lisbon

Lounging at home

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine tells me what time it is (and the date) in a simple calming uncluttered way. Minimal sensory overload, but at the same time, I know what is inside of it should I care to think about or examine it.

Reactions: CMSgt Bo

·
Registered
329 Posts
In the midst of the global pandemic, #myNOMOS Metro Datum Gangreserve reminds me of the everyday moments of beauty, discovery, tension, and solidarity that come with life in a big city. It also helps me remember why it's so important that we re-capture the spirit of global interconnectedness that (typically) arises from our major metros. Without that spirit to fuel the artists, artisans, and storytellers of the world, great works like the Metro Datum Gangreserve would not exist, and that's not the kind of world I want to live in.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
For many years I had a few pieces of gold jewelry in my safe that had sentimental value, but never got worn. One day I made the decision to sell the pieces and use the money to purchase something special that would be a reminder of those old memories, but something that could be regularly worn to create new memories as well. A watch seemed perfect. I loved the Nomos aesthetic and quality and quickly settled on the Club Dunkel. Germany is my birthplace, so a German watch carries even more meaning. Someday my son will enjoy this Nomos more than he would a piece of dated jewelry. Very happy with my decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
For #myNomos story, it all goes back to wanting to celebrate the impending birth of my daughter. Having been searching for just the right watch for well over half a year, I settled on the Nomos Zurich in late 2018 after spending some time with it at a local AD. In need of a well rounded watch that was elegant yet able to be dressed down, this model hit all of my wants and desires. With every intention to hand it down to my daughter one day (if my efforts to get her interested in watches are successful, that is), the minimalist style and beautiful lines would work well whether worn by a male or female with the proportionate wrist size. The watch is beautiful regardless of whichever sapphire window you view it through and I often catch myself enjoying the view while typing an email. Even with the money and, more importantly, my wife's approval to purchase something like a Rolex OP or other similar watch from a "name brand" watch company, the allure of Nomos and its design style won me over and there are of course plans to add other models from Nomos in the future. Happy to be a part of the Nomos family and all my best to my fellow Nomos owners.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A month or two after I gave my Rolex Sub to my son I realized I needed a decent watch. I had worn the Sub 18/7/365 for 15 years. Then I began a corporate job and recognized that a dive watch doesn't go with a suit and tie. I acquired a gold Baume & Mercier, it was 34mm,a two hander with Roman numerals. Yes it was quartz. It was the 80's after all. But it kept great time, and was thin as a dime.
I lasted about 10 years in the corporate world. The B&M went into a drawer. I started wearing the Sub more often, but found it somewhat heavy and bulky. Plus it had only been serviced once or twice in 25 years and was keeping pretty lousy time. ( spent $1K to get serviced before giving it to my son.)
For the next several years I rotated the Sub with a collection of more or less disposable casio's and boccia's. Then it was September 2013 and my son turned 35 and I gave him the Sub. Then I gave my daughter the B&M. Then I realized I needed a good quality dressy but no too dressy watch.
As luck would have it the NYT's published its annual watch supplement in October. I went through it looking for my watch. I was dismayed to see that every watch featured was between42 and 46mm. The Sub was 40mm, but that was a tool watch I wasn't looking for a tool. But a watch that was well made, well designed,comfortable to wear, and discreetly understated.
After a brief search I found a 38.5mm Longines that I liked, Heritage1940. Still have it, still like it. My son told me it was too dressy. And my daughter had married a boy whose family lived on St Croix. I decided I needed a dive watch again. I bought a 36mm Omega Seamaster and sold it a month later. It weren't no Rolex.
In December 20013 I discovered the 35mm Nomos Tangente. Well made,well designed,comfortable to wear, and discreetly understated.
Seven years later:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.