WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like watching the live NASA TV, but they always seem to quote the time as say "5.15pm central". Where in the hell is central:-S

It sure would be better if times were quoted in GMT then we would all know what time it was in our own spot on the planet. Like here in Australia where I am located at GMT+10

Anyone know how what the time difference is from "central" to GMT.

Many thanks

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I like watching the live NASA TV, but they always seem to quote the time as say "5.15pm central". Where in the hell is central:-S

It sure would be better if times were quoted in GMT then we would all know what time it was in our own spot on the planet. Like here in Australia where I am located at GMT+10

Anyone know how what the time difference is from "central" to GMT.

Many thanks
Stevie,

Central Standard Time (Central to us Yanks) is GMT -6 so you would be Central +16 if that helps.

My local time is Eastern (GMT -5) but as a ham radio operator for almost 50 years, I relate more to GMT or as they call it today UTC.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
269 Posts
You have a good point there. However, NASA has never (to my knowledge) used UTC as a frame of reference for time during missions.
As was pointed out, Mission Control is in Houston, TX USA, and the local time at that location is what is used for time reference. Interesting also that KSC, where launch facilities are situated, is located in a different time zone (Eastern Standard or Savings, depending on the time of year) than Mission Control. Despite this, since Houston takes command of the mission from the moment the launch vehicle clears the tower, it is Central Time that is used. I've read in several books that during the Gemini and Apollo missions, the astronauts set their watches at Houston time. I believe that STS crew frequently wear two watches, with one set at Houston time and the other as a stop-watch/MET (mission elapsed time) computer. I think the X-33 can perform all these functions concurrently. It must be a bit of a challenge having a 90 minute day in orbit...keeping the time straight is all that more important...B-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts