WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'll be in Asia for a holiday in March 2016 for the first time (Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Osaka and Tokyo). I'm looking at making a purchase while over there, I've narrowed my search down to Hong Kong and Tokyo however open for other suggestions.
I've spent some time researching what i want and what to get and have cut out a lot of options but i seem to have hit a brick wall and have been stuck for a few weeks now and can't seem to make that last decision.

The budget is around $4000aud (roughly $2800us) and i'm looking at purchasing pre-owned from one of many stores i have stumbled across in multiple threads on WUS.

Option 1 is a pre-owned Omega Speedmaster Professional 3573.50 which i would most likely look at buying in Hong Kong (Kens, Pak Lee etc..)
Option 2 is a pre-owned Grand Seiko SBGA001 SD which seems to be an easier find in Japan (Komehyo)
or
Option 3 is a New Grand Seiko SBGA101 SD most likely from Yodobashi or BIC Camera in Tokyo

I know they are very different watches.

So my dilemma is i will be in HK first, so do i just make the purchase and not look at any GS in Japan or wait until Japan and possibly give up a better price on the Omega from HK?

Any input on where would be the better place to buy or even personal experiences in any of the above mentioned locations.
With the weak Aussie dollar would it be a better option to purchase from home? The pre-owned GS market in Aus is fairly thin so i don't know if i would find what i want.

Thanks All :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think...

HK: Easier to negotiate because demand has fallen from the slowdown in tourism but currency has appreciated, so less bang for your buck. I think the pre-owned scene in HK is a bit murky. If you know how or start learning how to spot fake Omegas and feel comfortable with your knowledge come next March, then it might be worth it to shop in HK. Also, wouldn't hurt to can check out GS prices in HK and then go JPN.
JPN: JPY depreciation and a brand new GS!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would definitely buy from a reputable store if i purchase from HK.

As for the JPY, with its depreciation the Aussie dollar has followed as well so that doesn't help us Aussies much haha

Appreciate the input though

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When you're in Tokyo check out a store called Quark: ?????????????ROLEX??????????? (If you speak Japanese that domain name is kind of a pun.) They have a huge variety of used watches. The last time I suggested it a guy was looking for an electric blue Milgauss or something like that and the second location he walked into had one.

For window shopping though Hong Kong is amazing. Hop on the Star Ferry over to Kowloon and take a walk up Nathan Road and you'll see some great stuff. Take side trips into buildings too because there's some weird stuff in the upper levels once in a while.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Seiko boutiques in most major East Asian cities carry GS. I believe HK will surely have them in stock. Possibly you can get better discounts there than in Japan. Perhaps some HK residents in WUS can confirm?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Check and see if there is an additional discount for using a VIsa or Master Card at Yodobashi & Bic in Japan. I got an extra 6% off for that, plus the ease of those stores processing your duty-free right there on premises.

I totally understand your dilemma. I will be in Singapore in November and then Japan again in January, but cannot go too crazy on the buying.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've not bought any watches in Hong Kong, but have got a few in Japan, including one from Bic Camera.

Speedmasters are very popular here, so it's quite easy to find used examples in very good condition, both the regular production models and limited editions/rare pieces. I got my 3572.50 from a store called Sanwaworld.

You should check out the cluster of watch stores at Nakano Broadway, they have almost everything there, including of course speedies and GS. I think the biggest and probably most well known store there is Jackroad. Very reasonable prices and great service. There are also quite a few watch stores in Shinjuku, though they tend to be further away from each other. I think Komehyo is there, Quark too. And there's GMT, they have really good stuff too though I'm not sure if I've seen any GS there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that have posted so far, all very informative.

Toranaga, thanks for the pointers in Japan, we'll be stay in Shinjuku, that's how my research stumbled across komehyo.
I hadn't heard of some of the stores you mentioned, I'll have a further look into them

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the Bic Camera in Namba, Osaka as well. I found that it was better stocked in the watch Department than the Yodobashi and Bic that I went to in Tokyo. Had a very very nice collection of GS. Easy to get to from Shin-Osaka.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks to all that have posted so far, all very informative.

Toranaga, thanks for the pointers in Japan, we'll be stay in Shinjuku, that's how my research stumbled across komehyo.
I hadn't heard of some of the stores you mentioned, I'll have a further look into them

Cheers

No problem! They're all within walking distance of Shinjuku station. In fact, GMT is very near Yodobashi Camera.

·
Registered
880 Posts
be careful if you get pre-owned watches from Hong Kong. unless you buy from reputable pre-owned dealers, there's a high possibility that your watch is a frankenwatch, and they're very good at doing that. I got fooled twice buying Tudor from HK. the first Tudor I got, the watch looks perfect and all the parts are from its correct period. however, when the watch was serviced I was told that the feet that supposedly hold the dial into the movement has already broken and the dial is just literally glued to the movement with super glue and when they took it off the whole top part of the movement fell apart. the second Tudor I got from HK was supposedly has all the period-correct parts and when it was serviced the dial is apparently redialed and though they did a good job at that, it's still not the original dial. I probably would never buy any pre-owned watches from HK anymore.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
be careful if you get pre-owned watches from Hong Kong. unless you buy from reputable pre-owned dealers, there's a high possibility that your watch is a frankenwatch, and they're very good at doing that. I got fooled twice buying Tudor from HK. the first Tudor I got, the watch looks perfect and all the parts are from its correct period. however, when the watch was serviced I was told that the feet that supposedly hold the dial into the movement has already broken and the dial is just literally glued to the movement with super glue and when they took it off the whole top part of the movement fell apart. the second Tudor I got from HK was supposedly has all the period-correct parts and when it was serviced the dial is apparently redialed and though they did a good job at that, it's still not the original dial. I probably would never buy any pre-owned watches from HK anymore.
Did you actually buy in HK or are you talking about ebay?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
275 Posts
Shame the AUD has crashed so badly and the USD has risen so much. Makes HK a far less attractive option for you.

Have you had a chance to personally compare or try on the Speedmaster and the Seikos? Personally I would take price out of the equation as you already have your budget and focus on one watch you really want before your making your trip.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ Goostah
I have tried both and would hopefully eventually have both of them.
The price per se isn't what I'm tossing about, it's more so relative to the market in Aus, where and what watch would offer the better deal while in Asia.
e.g. if watch 1 is very similarly priced to Aus and watch 2 is 50% cheaper than Aus it seems more logical to go for watch 2 while overseas and save those pennies again and purchase watch 1 down the track locally.

Hope this explains what I'm thinking and others can chime in.

Once again thanks all that have replied thus far.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Understand and it makes sense.

Personally, given it's either a Speedy or the Seiko I would pass on HK and look to buy in JP. The pre-owned market for Speedies is far more abundant in JP than HK and their prices seem to be competitive. That and you also have the added benefit of getting 8% consumption tax refunded, just remember to take your passport when you buy.

It's still worth having a look at some of the HK stores if you have time but the Seiko will be less common in the pre-owned stores and a lot of the Speedies tend to be the auto version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts