WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am down to my last watch and cannot decide what to do. I have always loved watches, but once I got an Apple Watch, it’s all I wear. I have this beautiful Polar explorer just sitting on a winder, and have watched it’s value shoot up.

Do you guys think the value will keep increasing or should I sell while it’s so high?

If I do decide to list it, what’s a fair value? Seems like prices are crazy.

thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Market seems to be softening, if you’re going to sell I’d say do it now.

Check watchcharts and watchrecon to get some pricing ideas.

I’d stay clear of chrono24 for any comp values.

·
Registered
44,234 Posts
Definitely sell it....
Maybe with the profits buy another Apple watch and put a Nato on it....
A gold cased Apple Watch even.

• Haha
Reactions: Mickey® and donk

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thinking further...why not sell the Apple Watch your phone tells the time. Thinking even further...why am I replying to this topic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you have always loved watches , personally I would keep it. The Polar 2 is a classic.

You won't be selling for anything remotely close to the prices being currently listed. Large dealers can sit on stock for now but pieces are not moving at current pricing so the prices will be being south at some point.

Ring a respected dealer and see what they offer , if you are not happy with the price sell privately for 20% more and deal with the hassle that is selling a watch.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would keep it. I bought an Apple watch in early Covid to replace my FitBit and for more features. I purely wear it at home as I work from home, but anytime I leave the house my EXP2 or any other watch gets prime choice. I love my AW don't get me wrong, but it's a compliment of my iPhone not a watch in my book. There is nothing special or romantic about an AW.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Love that watch. Almost bought one several years ago when they were about $4k, and people were writing articles about the unloved Rolex models.

Covid cash and the high stock market valuations have done a number on luxury goods. Its always going to have a good value, but not sure how long the craziness is going to last. Inflated watch prices have dipped recently in conjunction with the stock market dip.

Obviously if you are not wearing it, it is a good time to sell (well more so at the beginning of the year). I'd hate to sell that and regret it later, but if it has no sentimental value and no joy to wear day to day - well its a good time to cash in.

Looks gorgeous. What year is it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love that watch. Almost bought one several years ago when they were about $4k, and people were writing articles about the unloved Rolex models.

Covid cash and the high stock market valuations have done a number on luxury goods. Its always going to have a good value, but not sure how long the craziness is going to last. Inflated watch prices have dipped recently in conjunction with the stock market dip.

Obviously if you are not wearing it, it is a good time to sell (well more so at the beginning of the year). I'd hate to sell that and regret it later, but if it has no sentimental value and no joy to wear day to day - well its a good time to cash in.

Looks gorgeous. What year is it?
2012. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
By "last watch", I assume you mean you love the Apple watch so much you sold off all your other mechanical watches. I caution you that the novelty of the Apple Watch will wear off, and you will find yourself reaching for a real watch. That was my experience, anyway. I got an Apple watch about six months after they first came out, and I still like the it (mine broke a while back and I plan to replace it). After first getting it I wore it almost every day for the better part of a year. Eventually, though, I found myself reaching for my real watches, and only wearing the Apple under certain circumstances. It did make a nice nightstand clock.

If you sell your Explorer you'll certainly make enough off of it to get back into the mechanical watch game at some later point, if you want. If it isn't at peak value it has to be pretty close these days. But if you've sold off everything else and made decent money off of them I would consider keeping the Rolex around. Even if values go down at some point, it will always be worth a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Assuming you really don't wear it and don't expect that to change in the future, sell now.

We've begun backsliding on most of the Rolex models - this one included - and I don't think those slightly higher prices will be coming back for a while.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts