WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best option?

• Stick it in my watch case and forget about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell it for parts on eBay

• Get it repaired by a master watchmaker

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Take it to a poor country and get someone there to fix it for cheap during my next trip abroad.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Try fixing it myself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wearing an Eterna Airforce regularly for the past few years, but it has developed several problems and I haven't decided what to do with it.

• Rotor is detached, so it must be hand wound.
  • Because I was winding it by hand, the threads on the case where the crown screws down have worn out. So not waterproof anymore and crown sticks out a bit.
  • Runs a bit fast.

I never used the steel bracelet. Been using a leather band since I bought it. The steel bracelet is still new in the box.

I have lots of watches, so here are my options:

1. Stick it in my watch case and forget about it.
  2. Sell it for parts on eBay (noting that it still can keep time if wound by hand).
  3. Get it repaired by a master watchmaker (expensive)
  4. Take it to a poor country and get someone there to fix it for cheap during my next trip abroad.
  5. Try fixing it myself.

Just for reference, this is the watch model (pic from another ebay listing).

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Since you have enjoyed wearing it over the last several years, I would take it to a certified watchmaker and have the threads on the case replaced and either having the movement serviced or replaced - whatever is the least expensive of the two.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
It's worth getting repaired, properly. Otherwise.... Consider selling it to someone willing to get it fixed.

Reactions: NC_Hager626

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The consensus so far being that it should be properly repaired, my concern was the threads on case. I imagine the rotor is an easy repair, but are the threads something any watchmaker can do or is it something specific to Eterna that would require and authorized repair. I though maybe they would have to replace the case.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
The consensus so far being that it should be properly repaired, my concern was the threads on case. I imagine the rotor is an easy repair, but are the threads something any watchmaker can do or is it something specific to Eterna that would require and authorized repair. I though maybe they would have to replace the case.
I'm guessing the threads are on a tube which is either screwed or pressed into the case. Either way it should just be a replacement part and likely not terribly expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts