WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with your old cheap watches that have no resale value? I'm sitting here looking at my Fossils and other designer brands that I got over the years and wondering what to do. All of them are no more than $100ish new. Do you guys just keep them in a drawer to tick to death? Do you take them to a garage sale and sell em for a beer money? I can't imagine them living in a box with the watches I admire.

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Brother one mans trash is another's treasure post them in the sales section for little to nothing you never know you might have something someone is actually looking for.

I have over 100 watches and no I'm not a hoarder I just wanted to be on here a while before I actually tried to sell anything but my wife has now put her foot down and the all must go lol.

So I'm in your boat, now granted most aren't on the fossil cat but still. Bulova, Phillip watch, Jacque Lemans such n such you never know who wants what and for what. Enjoy

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I usually put them for up for sale. It might not get you a lot of cash from the sale, but it could mean the next strap you buy is essentially free, or if there's enough of them it's a free watch.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've done forum giveaways with watches like these, it's a good way to make new acquaintances and get the watch into the hands of an appreciative new owner.

Gifts to friends are nice, done that too, although not everyone will be grateful to receive a used Fossil.

You could always list them on fleabay with no reserve.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You could give them to nieces, nephews, your kids, whatever. If they aren't worth much then why not try to breed more WIS with them? You can find posts all over the forums about people's first watches being a gift to them as a child and how excited they were. I would try to instill that feeling and perhaps plant that WIS seed in someone else.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I gave the Fossil to my nephew (he's 11). I still have a Timex Ironman and a Skagen that keep ticking away. They'll never see any wrist time again.

I don't keep them in the watch box though. They're not worthy. They just sit in the back of a drawer until I figure out what to do with them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You could give them to nieces, nephews, your kids, whatever. If they aren't worth much then why not try to breed more WIS with them? You can find posts all over the forums about people's first watches being a gift to them as a child and how excited they were. I would try to instill that feeling and perhaps plant that WIS seed in someone else.
I gave my three year old nephew a $22 wal-mart casio for christmas. He just about crapped himself with excitement. The grandparents on the other side of the family spent hundreds on expensive toys. His excitement and the look on their faces that their expensive toys were being ignored in favour of a watch that they obviously looked down on (they are very well off and if you can't tell I don't like them) made it the best $22 I ever spent.

A $100 watch to a youngster may end up being a very, very big deal.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I'm for the give away, I have given a couple to people who were grateful and they are used.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Absolutely. A lot of us are looking for a new watch just to freshen the collection or knock around, and don't have much cash. Sometime, a cheapie is just the ticket.
Brother one mans trash is another's treasure post them in the sales section for little to nothing you never know you might have something someone is actually looking for.

I have over 100 watches and no I'm not a hoarder I just wanted to be on here a while before I actually tried to sell anything but my wife has now put her foot down and the all must go lol.

So I'm in your boat, now granted most aren't on the fossil cat but still. Bulova, Phillip watch, Jacque Lemans such n such you never know who wants what and for what. Enjoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gave my three year old nephew a $22 wal-mart casio for christmas. He just about crapped himself with excitement. The grandparents on the other side of the family spent hundreds on expensive toys. His excitement and the look on their faces that their expensive toys were being ignored in favour of a watch that they obviously looked down on (they are very well off and if you can't tell I don't like them) made it the best $22 I ever spent.

A $100 watch to a youngster may end up being a very, very big deal.
Hear, hear. (My $20 Casio gets me excited as well!) I tend to lean toward small, simple vintage mechanical watches, but if somebody offered me a used Fossil I wouldn't be offended. Last December my supervisor at work was cleaning out the workshop, and there was a Timex Expedition analog/digital that some previous employee had left hanging on a railing for several years. My super knows I like watches, so he offered it to me instead of just tossing it. It shines brightly now that I've washed it up a bit, and so does my grateful smile. :)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I gave the Fossil to my nephew (he's 11). I still have a Timex Ironman and a Skagen that keep ticking away. They'll never see any wrist time again.

I don't keep them in the watch box though. They're not worthy. They just sit in the back of a drawer until I figure out what to do with them.
Some day, you'll be moving or helping a friend move or it will be time to paint the back bedroom; you'll be glad to have that beater.

I have an old Seiko that sees action once a week: when I mow the lawn. Another Timex I strap around the fore-stock of my hunting rifle so that I can see the time without pulling my sleeve up (especially usefull on sub-zero hunting mornings).

You can always throw a NATO on it and slip it through the handle or strap on a backpack and when you're traveling, you always have a second watch to show your home time. If you have an old watch with an alarm, it is useful if you want to take a nap.

But in the end, most everyone has kids, nieces and nephews and yes, an old watch can make their year. ;-)

Reactions: watermanxxl

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I never know what to do with them either. I've never sold a watch, it's just not 'me'. I've given a few away to family and friends to spread the love for watches far and wide, and my 9 year old son has a few in a little watch box I made for him (he doesn't wear them yet but maybe one day he will - although by then I'll have probably given him some more 'better' ones so they're probably doomed to remain unworn forever!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
Like all watches I just hoard them. My first ones were hand crankers I just keep em in a drawer year after year but at least with my more recent oldies I have made sure the batteries were removed so they don't leak.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just dug some oldies I was referring to out of a drawer. These are the worst of them- 2 Armitrons and an Unlisted. Only the digital is still keeping time. I guess my kids, 5 and 7 years, are getting some "congrats on finishing the school year" presents.

Reactions: Ticonderoga

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just dug some oldies I was referring to out of a drawer. These are the worst of them- 2 Armitrons and an Unlisted. Only the digital is still keeping time. I guess my kids, 5 and 7 years, are getting some "congrats on finishing the school year" presents.

There ya go!

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
If you plan on using /f29 for "substantial" purchases, doing some cheapie sales there to start is a great way to build up feedback. I sold a few watches for less than $20 there, when I was starting out. I think today, I'd probably do a forum giveaway, keep them for giveaways to friends or family, or keep them for parts for later.

Reactions: Ticonderoga

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you tell me what /f29 is? Is that the WUS sales corner?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can you tell me what /f29 is? Is that the WUS sales corner?
Yes, it is. If you look at the address bar in your browser, you'll see that each WUS forum has a different F-number in its URL. A number of the forums have come to be nicknamed by these numbers, such as F71 for this forum or F2 for the Public forum.

That Armitron reminds me of my current Saturday-morning-cutting-the-lawn Timex 1440. Nice, easy to read display. I like it.

Timex1440.jpg

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Give 'em to friends and family. Who knows?... if they got you started in the hobby, the same watch may do the same for someone else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts