WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relief checks will be in our hands in the next three weeks or so. If this money will help you pay for necessities, fantastic.

However if you are fortunate enough that you are considering using it to partially fund the purchase of another watch, let me offer an alternative: donate it to one of the many wonderful charities supporting our medical workers on the front lines, or low-income families, who are being hit the hardest by this horrible crisis.

You won't get anything shiny on your wrist. But it will put a hell of a glow on your soul.

Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Just spend it. That's the whole point. And really, how many folks in the market for a rolex are even gonna get it given the low income level? Unless you have a stay at home spouse or a bunch of kids anyway.

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
I have a question. There will be no taxes withheld from the stimulus check. But will it have to be reported as income? I believe that’s how Bush’s post-9/11 checks worked. There were no taxes withheld, but they had to be reported as income at the end of the year.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you qualify for it, you probably need it.

The best thing you can do for your community is take care of yourself - pad your retirement funds, fix a leaky roof, get a tune up, join a gym (when they re open), get your kid some academic enrichment courses, etc.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
There have already been threads asking about "the best watch under $1200". It's tough to tell someone what to do with their money but if you don't actually need the check, donating it or passing around a few bucks to people that actually will need it, is the best thing you can do.

As a matter of fact, if you really want to be "the good guy of bad times", donate anyway BECAUSE you make too much to qualify for a $1200 check.

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
Very generous tips to grocery/restaurant workers.

The stimulus checks are completely non-taxed. They learned their lesson from the last time.
And they don’t need to be reported as income?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just spend it. That's the whole point. And really, how many folks in the market for a rolex are even gonna get it given the low income level? Unless you have a stay at home spouse or a bunch of kids anyway.
Really, I think the whole point is to pay bills. Then again I guess that can be considered spending it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Very true. I agree.....but making too much money to qualify for the check should not keep you from encouraging people to do the right thing, considering the circumstances.
Oh 100% agree and please don't take my post as anti-helpful sentiment. I just thought the thread was weird given the guidelines for aid. Helping others is the best answer, unless you need the money, in which case I would say pay what you need to pay and please let others know that you need help. We are all in this together.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Relief checks will be in our hands in the next three weeks or so. If this money will help you pay for necessities, fantastic.

However if you are fortunate enough that you are considering using it to partially fund the purchase of another watch, let me offer an alternative: donate it to one of the many wonderful charities supporting our medical workers on the front lines, or low-income families, who are being hit the hardest by this horrible crisis.

You won't get anything shiny on your wrist. But it will put a hell of a glow on your soul.

Stay safe.
This is the correct mindset. If you don't need it, donate it to those who do. There are a lot of people out there hurting because of this corona virus thing - some not making rent, some not making house mortgage, some not going to make a business mortgage. Some are just out of work and their jobs aren't paying them to be 'off'. Help others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.