WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of camera people use to get those nice up close shots that people post on here. My 4 mp Kodak has trouble taking clear shots. Or, do I need to adjust any settings? Any tips would be appreciated. santasmile

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I use a Sony Cyber-shot 5.1 MP. If you haven't tried it yet, use the macro setting whiich should help. Also use a tripod, which I myself need to go out and buy. Hope these small suggestions help you out some.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Showoff! ;-) :-d ;-) :-!
Dxomas (Kevin) takes amazingly great pics!
Very few in his league, Pacificchrono (Tom) being one :-!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I hear that a light box helps a GREAT deal in taking photos like those beauties shown here. I saw a post a while back where someone made one out of a large cardboard box, some white paper, and tape. Seemed to help their photos a good bit for nearly $0.santasmile

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I hear that a light box helps a GREAT deal in taking photos like those beauties shown here. I saw a post a while back where someone made one out of a large cardboard box, some white paper, and tape. Seemed to help their photos a good bit for nearly $0.santasmile
I remember that one. I think there was one where someone had used a plastic bin with what looked like a white sheet inside with a couple of lights. Nice simple set-up :-! .

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We just built a light box this past week and weekend. It cost us about $20 total. We used lamps we were not using. So that saved some.

Here is the link to the one we built.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Here are two links to threads that show our first shots using the light box.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=43186

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=43245

We still have a long way to go to make them look good.

By the way we also use a Canon Powershot SD800IS to get all of the shots including the macro's.

Good luck.

Stephen

·
Registered
224 Posts
A very basic Sony Cybershot 2MP digital pocket camera with a fixed 33mm lens, F.2.8, without zoom function.
Attached, an example of the quality I am able to achieve with it, which I think, is not too bad.

MMT
Very nice photo... Thank you...
I set gray balance for you, I hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I use a Fuji FinePix F30, it has an awesome sensitivity of 3200 ISO which help me much with all kinds of lighting. I need a tripod only for lume shots....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use a Fuji FinePix F30, it has an awesome sensitivity of 3200 ISO which help me much with all kinds of lighting. I need a tripod only for lume shots....

Fuji makes a very nice cam, beautiful pic... Thank you.

I'm at work and bored... I hope you don't mind me working on your photo?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I am too lazy to take really good photos, never really made an effort, but the macro function is your friend (little flower icon on your camera somewhere) and I take my photos from a mini tripod with a time delay and it's set to take three photos at three different exposures. I use an old canon G1.I don't have a lightbox, I have two architects lamps, the ones that attach to the desk and articulate like a robot arm with a big magnifying glass and a round florescent bulb around the magnifying glass and a piece of white tabloid paper taped under the lamps to soften the light. pretty low budget but every once and a while I get a couple of really nice shots. I have a fondness for lume shots too!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I am too lazy to take really good photos, never really made an effort, but the macro function is your friend (little flower icon on your camera somewhere) and I take my photos from a mini tripod with a time delay and it's set to take three photos at three different exposures. I use an old canon G1.I don't have a lightbox, I have two architects lamps, the ones that attach to the desk and articulate like a robot arm with a big magnifying glass and a round florescent bulb around the magnifying glass and a piece of white tabloid paper taped under the lamps to soften the light. pretty low budget but every once and a while I get a couple of really nice shots. I have a fondness for lume shots too!

We really cant tell.....................................................:-d :-d :-d :-d :-d J/K

you have some nice shots there crowe LUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMe on:-! buddy

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
We really cant tell.....................................................:-d :-d :-d :-d :-d J/K

you have some nice shots there crowe LUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMe on:-! buddy
lol I have to tip my hat to the guys to take better pictures on accident than I do on purpose ;-)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
M if you really think about it most Crows are lazy always waiting for someone else to do the kill for them and then want to reap all the bennies (clean-up)...........................................those no good crows...................................:-d :-d :-d :-d :-d :-d J/K

I own a Fuji s5 and its great, most of the time for me is just having the right lighting/back-drop or surroundings and the right shot after about a few 100.........:-d :-d :-d its a good thing they came out with digi because i would be broke just developing some of my trash pics

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
I currently use a minolta-konica 5.3 mp with 3x optical zoom and telescoping lens. It has a two macro modes and 4x digital zoom. It is small...about 3 inches by 4 inches by 1.5 inches so it is also a nice cam for carrying in the pocket when going somewhere.

I use a tripod, lightbox or light table of sorts which was a project my dad and I built and it uses 4 halide tungsten outdoor spots...I think 100 watt each.
I use some bali hand dyed fabric for most of my background which is nice as a copyright seal almost as no two pieces of hand dyes batik is the same pattern so it makes it easy if someone wants to "borrow" a pic without permission.

I like my Minolta and also like Fuji (used one on some of these I think), Olympus makes some great digicams and I understand the Canon A530 point and shoot is really a pretty good inexpensive cam. I like the small cams with the telescoping lenses. The flush fixed focal length lenses just dont get the field of view to get great close up macro shots. Someday I may break down and get a cam like Kevin ....a Nikon slr digi or maybe Canon. But, I am going to wait for them to get down to around $500.

You will probably want to consider getting a photobucket or other online photo service for serving your photos so you dont have to download your pics each time you want to post one. With a photoserver, you can easily insert the HTML in your posts and show whatever pic or pics you like.

But, other than that,.....I use a 3 second delay like Crowe and others and just use a little imagination when inspired.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts