WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I looking for some help on this one. My mother bought my dad a watch like this (see below) in 1970 and someone stole it on him a couple of months ago. While we bought him a new one he keeps going on about the one that was stolen. It's not an expensive watch but ..... I really pity him!

His 70th birthday is coming up and I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could find a similar one and if necessary have it professionally refurbished to near new condition.

I was just wondering if you could cast a discerning eye over this watch and give me your opinion and what you consider to be a fair price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-VINTAGE-LARGE-ORIG-GOLD-DIAL-OMEGA-GENEVE-WATCH-DATE_W0QQitemZ190206934139QQihZ009QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your help guys

William.

·
Banned
3,380 Posts
Well, the dial is dirty, stained and marked. The gold plate is worn through on parts of the lugs. The watch hasn't been timed and is being sold 'As is'. I'd think $75 is a deal for the seller. Although, people get crazy with the bidding so I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $125 (Too much IMO)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your opinion quatre temps.

However, if I was to get it for less than $100 what would it cost to have it professionally refurbished to near new condition bearing in mind it's for my dad and not resale??

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I'd probably go towards the higher end of that but I have a thing for the Geneve. With a local service you have a classic watch for just over $200 and that is never something to sniff at.

However, just as a bit of advice on ebay tactics ... It's fine to discuss a watch you want to buy in the abstract, but by posting it here you have just pretty well guaranteed that you will face stiff competition.

Do bear in mind that while a battered steel watch can look characterful, a battered gold watch only ever looks battered - especially if the plate has worn through.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be possible to have it fully restored to it's original even if the plate has been worn through??

Re. posting it here. Yeah, I know I run that risk but...if it goes above my budget I will leave it go. There will be others.

·
Banned
3,380 Posts
Thanks for your opinion quatre temps.

However, if I was to get it for less than $100 what would it cost to have it professionally refurbished to near new condition bearing in mind it's for my dad and not resale??
A local watch mechanic could probably clean and regulate the movement for about $75 but if it requires parts then it goes up from that price. If Omega refurbishes it then you could be looking at $500-$600 or more because you could bet they'd end up replacing almost every exterior part of that watch (IE, dial, crown, hands, crystal, re-plate case and service movement)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, you may well have answered my question. The watch CANNOT be brought back fully. It may run well but it's going to look battered no matter what.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
When I llok at this type of auction I try to calculate what would be cost of restoration from what can be seen in the pictures. This specific watch has significant wear to the plating. This is going to be a considerable expense, if repaired properly. One could try and get away with plating over the existing plating with minimal pre-treatment. This should not be too expensive and will look like crap. To get this repaired properly you are looking at probably 200+ US$ which is more than this watch will likely sell for.

Would it be possible to have it fully restored to it's original even if the plate has been worn through??

Re. posting it here. Yeah, I know I run that risk but...if it goes above my budget I will leave it go. There will be others.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean by big $$$$.....or should I ask?? Essentially it just wouldn't be worth it??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But I have absolutely no interest in selling the watch on. I want to use it to replace my fathers stolen one.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Then buy it as is and wear it as is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There isn nothing functionally wrong with it as far as I can see. It is just going to look a bit ropey. You can just give it a gentle polish and treat the bare patches as character - that is certainly what I would do if I were in your position.

It is a lovely movement and seems ok from the photo.

·
Banned
3,380 Posts
What do you mean by big $$$$.....or should I ask?? Essentially it just wouldn't be worth it??
$500-$600 is big $$. Could be more. I'm just giving a very rough estimate if Bienne did the complete refurbish/overhaul.

Only you can determine what the repairs are worth. Sentimentally? Sure, it might be worth it to see a huge smile on a family members face. Is the watch worth it? No, not to a regular 'Joe' like you or me because we have no connection to the watch.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
But I have absolutely no interest in selling the watch on. I want to use it to replace my fathers stolen one.
Good reason to pick this you. Your dad will love it, even if there are small issue conditions. Hopefully, you can get it cheap.

Seller is very close to where I live. If you win and there are any problems, I'll show up at his house for you. ;-)

·
Registered
207 Posts
O.T. -Sorry

Seller is very close to where I live. If you win and there are any problems, I'll show up at his house for you. ;-)[/quote]

Mrsnak, now that's class right there. Unbelievable how you're willing to do that. Good guys own Omegas!:-!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts