WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this for Christmas, but I didn't have the desire (or nerve) to wear it until today. After several weeks of ownership, I guess I could have at least given it a chance.

But alas, my impressions remain the same. I cannot fathom one bit why Citizen would allow a watch that looks like this to go out with an MSRP of $299! Or for that matter, with that kind of watch face, period! I thought psychoactive drugs were illegal in Japan, too. Why would Citizen designers think that the "punch out" look of the clock numbers be attractive? It's ugly, looks cheap, and does little to impress the casual observer that Citizen makes desirable and remarkable products.

I feel that a watch of this style would normally be found on a back alley jewelry salesman wearing a trenchcoat, being sold alongside of "Rollex" and "Tisot" (misspelling intentional)

Granted, it's part my fault for actually keeping this watch this long. Watches for me are a personal choice, like ........ are to women. Truth be told, my wife got this for me. I'm rather picky about watch designs that I prefer. But, she did quite well buying a watch for me for Christmas 2012. I guess she was trying to do the same this year. I really appreciate the fact that she wanted to give me a new watch as a gift. It's a very nice sentiment. But if I try to buy her a Coach or Dooney & Burke purse, I know I'll be stepping into dangerous waters if I don't pick a design that would be worthy of those brand names.

Anyhow, my negative feelings toward this watch are targeted more to Citizen for the tacky design they used with this model, with some negativity directed toward Kay Jewelers, who (from my experience) probably hard sold it to my wife (along with their rigid "no return" policies).

watch.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Watches for me are a personal choice, like ........ are to women.
I guess the forum was thinking I was spamming products here. The "........" are those bags women like to wear over their shoulders that begins with "P" and rhymes with "Nurses"

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
For some reason the old saying "never look a gift horse in the face" comes to mind. In this case it does have a low budget styling to it. You should offer your wife a relaxing day at the spa in exchange for the return reciept, I could do alot with $299! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I know what you mean but I thought it was going to be something really horrible! Like a fake diamond encrusted two-tone number on a leopard skin strap with the numbers applied crooked and something misspelled on the dial.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well..it's not THAT bad, but it's not a beauty either..the bracelet looks cheap and the dial is waaay too busy. I mean c'mon huge arabics with big chronos and thin hands?? Blue is nice though. It could look a lot better if it had received some more love from its designers

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
3 bills is steep for that surely. But it could be much worse she could have gotten you a kenneth cole or invicta at that price!

(But do agree it looks budget but definitely still wearable)

This is why i tell my girl to not buy me anything...ever. because now you kind have to keep it...

But hey at least she cares!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ill give you $50 for it.
you can't lowball him that much his wife gave it to him. Sentimental value adds on 5..... 6! more dollars

:p

to be honest the watch looks bad just because of the numbers it had potential :/

where is that member who made that thread asked why there were no negative reviews on here?
this is a negative review

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Come on its not bad. Plus you might have got a good price re-selling...........NOT. Well not after this thread though (just kidding) btw what did she get you last year??

·
Banned
584 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the design, but good lord, it's not THAT bad.

That being said, Citizen's designs lately have really gone downhill - they're getting tackier and blingier, which is really disappointing. They're generally good for a go-to, solid but not boring watch, and they've come up with some real stinkers over the last year or two. I hope they change direction soon.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
What were Citizen thinking?

Probably something like "Let's go out and design a sporty chronograph based on a popular design and let's put it on a bracelet and hope that lots of people like it and buy".

It's just a Citizen chronograph, of which they make about a billion trillion different designs and which they sell oodles of around the world each year to people that are happy to receive them. For every one person like yourself that looks at it and thinks it's the most hideous thing ever there are one hundred people that look at it and think 'yeah, I like it'.

It's not the best Citizen watch I've ever seen but it's very far from being the disaster you seem to think it is. The problem isn't with Citizen's design but rather an extremely fussy person receiving a present for which they seem quite ungrateful for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The watch may not be a "disaster". but it sure is "disastrous" for Citizen.

I realize Citizen is trying to get into certain markets. I can even see Citizen designing a watch face like that for their Drive line (which is a whole other story), but even the Drive line doesn't represent Citizen's expected reputation. Neither should design oversights like cutoff arabic numerals. If they were tick marks instead, I'd have a far more positive opinion of it. They could have put tick marks the size of those at 3 and 9 o'clock all around the face and it would look much more sophisticated.

As I said before, I appreciate my wife getting me a Citizen watch for Christmas. But I feel she got ripped off in the process (by Citizen and Kay Jewlers). I'm disappointed in Citizen's designers. I hate to see if/how they ruin next year's Blue Angels watch by incorporating their new design philosophies into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what you mean but I thought it was going to be something really horrible! Like a fake diamond encrusted two-tone number on a leopard skin strap with the numbers applied crooked and something misspelled on the dial.
You haven't previewed their 2015 line yet, have you? :p

...although, I'm now concerned they'll permanently decide to put a black rubber band with blue stripe on their Grand Complication before I get a chance to afford one of them.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well her previous gifts show she has good taste, this must be some kind of test. Choose your next step carefully LOL!

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I agree with you that the broken numerals are a bad idea, but personally do t think it's overall that bad, I'd happily wear it if my wife gave it to me.

Look at the bright side, at least she only spent a few hundred instead of a few thousand

·
Registered
946 Posts
What were Citizen thinking? Probably something along the lines that there are many different people out there with many different opinions on what makes a nice watch, what you think looks horrible and cheap could be the exact watch a whole range of other people would love...

I would also hazard a guess that Citizen pay attention to their sales figures, and will almost certainly have designed it with an eye on what has sold well or poorly with previous designs, and will have designed it with a target market in mind - one that quite specifically doesn't include you it would seem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would also hazard a guess that Citizen pay attention to their sales figures, and will almost certainly have designed it with an eye on what has sold well or poorly with previous designs, and will have designed it with a target market in mind - one that quite specifically doesn't include you it would seem.
Normally, I would agree with your statement, except for one thing...

In my research, looking for opinions from others who own the same watch, I have discovered that the watch I have seems to ONLY be available from Kay Jewelers. I expected to at least find it on Amazon. I can usually get a good consensus of people's opinions by reading Amazon reviews for identical items. However, this watch style is nowhere to be found except at Kay. Now I'm wondering if Kay actually requested this design, or Citizen is dumping this design on whatever retailer agrees to take it.

There are many similar looking models on Amazon, and they DON'T have any dial numbers. They just have tick marks. They do actually look a lot nicer. But due to Kay's return policies, I'm stuck with this one (unless the movement somehow **breaks**)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I guess as I mature my perspective changes...

I look at the pen my 10 year old daughter bought me as a gift, with her own money. A bug-eyed monster pen, press the monster and one eye pops out. Hideous. Doesn't feel good in the hand. But as a gift it is priceless to me. I use it to take notes on conference calls, write thank you notes, etc. Every time I pick it up I see her smiling face.

So I say get over it. It is not a bad watch at all. Strap on a NATO and try it again. I'd give my wife another huge hug for supporting my silly little hobby. You never know when you may get the chance to say "I love you" again. I wouldn't waste a moment worrying about Citizen's design choices. In my humble opinion, that has got to be the most beautiful watch I've seen in a long, long time.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hmm... I actually like that watch very much, I don't see what the problem is. Besides, it's a gift, that should at least count for something.

I'd give my left you-know-what to have my wife buy me a watch... ANY watch. She doesn't support any of my watch or gadget hobbies, and has NEVER bought me a watch, so if she even showed up at Christmas time with a $10 digital I would be very grateful.

First world problems, my friend.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts