WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up, I was always sorrounded by men in my family who had nice watches. My dad had a Seiko 6309, my uncle had a Rolex GMT Master II, my other uncle had a Breitling Navitimer.
I was always facinated by watches, and the more complex or different they looked... the more I liked them. Anyway, I used to cut out magazine print ads with watches I would have when I "grew up".

I found an old shoe box recently that contained these print ads.. and there were some nice watches in there from the early to mid 80's.

I found a print ad for this Citizen Promaster and TO THIS DAY... I am struck by how cool it is. 1300m depth rating was pretty impressive back in the mid 80's. Also the use of Titanium was pretty rare back then. So it was a pretty advanced watch back then.

Alas, I never owned it, and have actually never seen it in real life.

But, this was my first "grail" watch. I had to have it. Maybe one day I will find it on ebay... but I think they are pretty rare. Photo borrowed from the SCWF photo database.

Citizen Promaster 1300

·
6,880 Posts
Definitely the Bond Seamaster. Bought it and ended up selling it b/c it wasn't getting as much wrist time as the PO.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
My first grail was my first automatic watch, that I lusted after for over a year. I owned it for 3 months and sold it.:-:)-:)-(

Breitling Super Avenger

Now, my grail is the Rolex DeepSea. It will be in my possession this next week. Hopefully, it doesn't suffer the same consequence of my first grail.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My first grail was a green dial Eterna Super KonTiki. The year was 1998. I had the money in my pocket, so I set out to purchase one in London...only to find that the model had just been discontinued.:-( Worse, not a single AD in the UK had one (not that there were many to try). So I bought a Rolex Explorer instead.

A couple of years back redstart, a wonderful Dive Forum regular who sadly no longer posts, offered me his via PM. I had to decline as I couldn't afford it at the time. Strangely, I am kind of glad I did not buy it. It will always be the "one that got away.":)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first grail was my first automatic watch, that I lusted after for over a year. I owned it for 3 months and sold it.:-:)-:)-(

Breitling Super Avenger

Now, my grail is the Rolex DeepSea. It will be in my possession this next week. Hopefully, it doesn't suffer the same consequence of my first grail.

Jason, Why did you sell it? I have the lastest evolution of that watch.. the Skyland and I love it.

Please make sure you post pics of your Deepsea when you get it.

Thx

·
Registered
331 Posts
That is a cool Citizen fverwoer! Keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you'll track one down.

For about 4 years, my grail was the Marinemaster 300M. I finally got it this year!

Other grails, which may or may not make it into my collection are the Planet Ocean and Seadweller!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Definitely the Bond Seamaster. Bought it and ended up selling it b/c it wasn't getting as much wrist time as the PO.
Ditto.

Only in my case, I ended up trading, selling, et cetera, until now, where I own both the 2531.80 and the 2541.80 models. Niether is going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Mine has always been the Seiko Spring Drive Diver, model SBDB001:p. It has everything, lume, GMT hand, and being a geekwad, the technology of the movement says it all.

But, I've never bit. I've a rule that I won't spend that much coin on a watch without first trying it on, especially since the dimensions of this watch are just huge in my opinion.

Maybe, someday, the money won't matter. But today, alas, it doeso|.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Mine has always been the Seiko Spring Drive Diver, model SBDB001:p. It has everything, lume, GMT hand, and being a geekwad, the technology of the movement says it all.

But, I've never bit. I've a rule that I won't spend that much coin on a watch without first trying it on, especially since the dimensions of this watch are just huge in my opinion.

Maybe, someday, the money won't matter. But today, alas, it doeso|.
I think about that one from time to time. Somehow I've been able to start a watch fund and not buy. If I ever get the fund to SDMM status, I will be taking a very hard look. I would think in 6months to a year I'll find something to spend the watch fund on. Lets hope not! I might have to ban myself from here for a few years. This site sent me on a big buy and flip binge of some which I've much regretted!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
After I finally got over wanting 100's of really expensive watches that I just wanted, I narrowed it down to two. The Rolex LV Sub and the Breitling Avenger Seawolf. I will only be keeping one though, so I'll have a tough decision to make some time in the future.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My first grail was a Rolex Explorer (I, not II) - now it seems too small. My next grail was an orange Doxa , which I got. Current grails would be a PO, a Rolex GMTII (not the new version, which I don't like as much) and a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, it was the Sea-Dweller...then this past weekend I tried it on side by side with a DeepSea, and now Im just incredibly confused.

I normaly wear either my Samurai, or my DOXA, and the Sea-Dweller just felt sooooo small on my 7.5 inch wrist.....:-s

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Well, it was the Sea-Dweller...then this past weekend I tried it on side by side with a DeepSea, and now Im just incredibly confused.

I normaly wear either my Samurai, or my DOXA, and the Sea-Dweller just felt sooooo small on my 7.5 inch wrist.....:-s
The Sea Dweller to me is one of those watches that seems perfect in any scenario, but I can see with the dimensions of the new Deepsea, the Sea Dweller would feel small. To me the Deepsea is overkill while the Sea Dweller is flat out perfect. I have not seen the Deepsea in the flesh though to comment, but the dive extension is flat out cool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Sea Dweller to me is one of those watches that seems perfect in any scenario, but I can see with the dimensions of the new Deepsea, the Sea Dweller would feel small. To me the Deepsea is overkill while the Sea Dweller is flat out perfect. I have not seen the Deepsea in the flesh though to comment, but the dive extension is flat out cool.
The Rolex Sea-Dweller was and is still my grail watch. Especially in the diver's segment of the market.

When I first starting recreational diving I did so with a dirt cheap Pulsar watch with a rotating bezel. It had a depth rating of 100FT and I testing that rating at every opportunity. I used to drool over the watches that my fellow divers wore and swore to treat myself to a nicer dive watch when I could afford one. To me, the money at that time was best spent on diving and not on the equipment (I rented or borrowed for a while). I noticed the nice Seikos, Citizens, Rolexes, and Omegas that adorned the wrists of my fellow divers. But, I noticed that the "best" divers did not always wear these nice timepieces. It was not uncommon to pair up with someone wearing all the latest gear and a Submariner and have to surface early because they were exhausted or ran out of air. Having said that, however, I always caught myself staring at their nice watch anyway.

Finally during a deep wreck dive my Pulsar imploded and the pieces and parts scattered around. I grabbed what I could and stuffed them in my BC's pockets. That Christmas I received a Citizen Aqualand Analog Depth Meter that I still own and dove with for years. While a fine watch, it didn't have that panache that stood out amongst the crowd and it certainly didn't look that great with a suit on.

There was one watch in my mind that could pull of the dual duty. I appreciated its rarity and its function. It was a "pro" version of the Submariner that I always checked out on my uncle's wrist. It was the "Sea-Dweller." I always lusted after the Sea-Dweller over the Submariner, despite the few differences between the two. It was this ad that I cut out of a magazine and looked at periodically that helped fuel the passion:

The ridiculous depth rating, the shiny but not-so-shiny case, the feel of of the bezel, and the fact that you could beat the heck out of a Rolex and it keeps time and its looks did me in.

Well, this year I finally had to means to obtain a Sea-Dweller and I did. I have not been disappointed. Unfortunately due to work constraints and my wife's crazy work schedule I have not been able to test it underwater yet. It has held up to serious desk diving, however. I plan to change that next year.

This watch, while small by today's standards, goes well with anything. Suit, jeans, t-shirt, sweat pants, and shorts - anything! Sure, Submariners are a dime-a-dozen around most parts but the fact that you're wearing a Sea-Dweller in a crowd of Submariners makes you feel just a bit more special.

I have larger watches in my collection, but I keep wanting to wear the Sea-Dweller. It's just right at 40mm. It's not "Hey! Look at me I'm wearing a huge watch" - it's "I have good taste and an appreciation of a classic tool watch." The truth of the matter is - it's very comfortable to wear and you hardly notice it most of the time.

Without further ado, here is my grail:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Omega Seamaster 300 from 1967.

I finally found one (No date) a few years ago and sent it to Omega, Bienne for the full spa treatment. I also found a pristine 1972 Seamaster 300 with the date. Why these watches you ask? It's a loooong story!!:-x

Back from Omega--looks like new!!

On my wrist.

The date version

Here they are together

·
Registered
908 Posts
The Rolex Sea-Dweller was and is still my grail watch. Especially in the diver's segment of the market.

When I first starting recreational diving I did so with a dirt cheap Pulsar watch with a rotating bezel. It had a depth rating of 100FT and I testing that rating at every opportunity. I used to drool over the watches that my fellow divers wore and swore to treat myself to a nicer dive watch when I could afford one. To me, the money at that time was best spent on diving and not on the equipment (I rented or borrowed for a while). I noticed the nice Seikos, Citizens, Rolexes, and Omegas that adorned the wrists of my fellow divers. But, I noticed that the "best" divers did not always wear these nice timepieces. It was not uncommon to pair up with someone wearing all the latest gear and a Submariner and have to surface early because they were exhausted or ran out of air. Having said that, however, I always caught myself staring at their nice watch anyway.

Finally during a deep wreck dive my Pulsar imploded and the pieces and parts scattered around. I grabbed what I could and stuffed them in my BC's pockets. That Christmas I received a Citizen Aqualand Analog Depth Meter that I still own and dove with for years. While a fine watch, it didn't have that panache that stood out amongst the crowd and it certainly didn't look that great with a suit on.

There was one watch in my mind that could pull of the dual duty. I appreciated its rarity and its function. It was a "pro" version of the Submariner that I always checked out on my uncle's wrist. It was the "Sea-Dweller." I always lusted after the Sea-Dweller over the Submariner, despite the few differences between the two. It was this ad that I cut out of a magazine and looked at periodically that helped fuel the passion:

The ridiculous depth rating, the shiny but not-so-shiny case, the feel of of the bezel, and the fact that you could beat the heck out of a Rolex and it keeps time and its looks did me in.

Well, this year I finally had to means to obtain a Sea-Dweller and I did. I have not been disappointed. Unfortunately due to work constraints and my wife's crazy work schedule I have not been able to test it underwater yet. It has held up to serious desk diving, however. I plan to change that next year.

This watch, while small by today's standards, goes well with anything. Suit, jeans, t-shirt, sweat pants, and shorts - anything! Sure, Submariners are a dime-a-dozen around most parts but the fact that you're wearing a Sea-Dweller in a crowd of Submariners makes you feel just a bit more special.

I have larger watches in my collection, but I keep wanting to wear the Sea-Dweller. It's just right at 40mm. It's not "Hey! Look at me I'm wearing a huge watch" - it's "I have good taste and an appreciation of a classic tool watch." The truth of the matter is - it's very comfortable to wear and you hardly notice it most of the time.

Without further ado, here is my grail:

Perfectly said:-!:p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts