Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver Chronometer

Votes: 18 90.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 21, and my parents are buying a watch for my 21st birthday. I am looking at watches that retail no more then $6,500. As of right now the three watches I’m considering are the Chanel J12 Chronograph Black, Cartier Pasha Seatimer w/rubber band, and Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver Chronometer. What are you opinions of these watches? Is there a reason why I should or shouldn't get one over another? Is there another watch you would recommend I look at?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Whoah.....Nice parents!
Welcome to WUS ryan. :)
I'd pick the U.N. personally of those 3.
Way more true watch company heritage.
6,500 is a pretty rarefied area for watches, LOTS of sweet choices.B-)
Hope you visit and post often and let us know which you pick!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Welcome to WUS Ryan!!!! I would have to second John choice of the UN MMD. I have two of them and really love them both. You might want to check out the rubber strap option on the MMD. That is what is on both of mine and they are really comfortable.

Here is a couple of wrist shots for you:

Maxi Marine Diver Brown Dial and rubber strap:

Maxi Marine Diver Blue Surf Blue dial and rubber strap:

Here is a shot of both on my wrist:

Good luck on which ever you choose. You have some really nice parents!!!!! |>

Stephen

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Go with the UN. It's a fabulous watch; and the one watch I wish I had never sold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! sooo many watches to look at in my price range! I think I have out ruled the Cartier(which I personally think is an awesome watch). I really do like both the UN and the Chanel. Both those watches are completely different. The Chanel is a "fashion" watches oppose to the UN is a "real" watch that has awesome movement... The problem is that I live in Florida and go out clubbing (miami, nyc) and the crowd that I associate my self with tend to go for the more showy fashion watches. A lot of my friends are going out and wasting there money on Jacobs and whatnot… This watch I get now is not going to be the last watch I get...sooo

·
Registered
345 Posts
channel watch !? c`mon man.. get real
from the 3 you mention i would go with the UN.. because is a real watch.. and not some designer junk

·
Registered
293 Posts
IMHO out of those 3 the UN is the way to go. With that price range you have a very large window. What about Panerai? They have an excellent history and are a very "in" watch. Whatever you choose try it on and make sure it screams at you!
Good luck and enjoy.

S

·
0 Posts
WOW! sooo many watches to look at in my price range! I think I have out ruled the Cartier(which I personally think is an awesome watch). I really do like both the UN and the Chanel. Both those watches are completely different. The Chanel is a "fashion" watches oppose to the UN is a "real" watch that has awesome movement... The problem is that I live in Florida and go out clubbing (miami, nyc) and the crowd that I associate my self with tend to go for the more showy fashion watches. A lot of my friends are going out and wasting there money on Jacobs and whatnot… This watch I get now is not going to be the last watch I get...sooo
Go for a Graham if clubbing and showy fashion watches is your concern.

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
I have two other suggestions: Rolex Sea Dweller (better movement than the UN,the cartier and the chanel. It has also a better crown system and a very solid case) or the L.U.C Chopard Pro One (inhouse movement with twin barrels exceeding 65hours of power reserve, it is extremely well finished and very robust too).

·
Registered
40,497 Posts
:) The UN is the best of the three and by a long way. One worth checking
out, but is a little dressy, the Glashutte Original Senator Automatic.
Well within budget and apart from the crowd.

P

·
0 Posts
I just turned 21, and my parents are buying a watch for my 21st birthday. I am looking at watches that retail no more then $6,500. As of right now the three watches I’m considering are the Chanel J12 Chronograph Black, Cartier Pasha Seatimer w/rubber band, and Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver Chronometer. What are you opinions of these watches? Is there a reason why I should or shouldn't get one over another? Is there another watch you would recommend I look at?
Do you already have a car? I put that type of money into cars for my kids, not watches. But if you already have a car, then a watch is an awfully nice keepsake.

P

·
0 Posts
Go for a Graham if clubbing and showy fashion watches is your concern.

I got within an inch or two of buying the Graham Oversize Chronofighter. They don't get much bigger and gaudier than that. But I got a Suunto X-Lander instead. Just as big, just as visible at night, and about $7,000 cheaper :- )

If we are mentioning other brands, put my vote in for the Jaeger-LeCoultre, the shockproof model. I have a JL Master Calendar in rose gold, and of all the watches I've ever owned, including Rolex, that's the one I see as a lifetime keeper.

P

·
0 Posts
I have two other suggestions: Rolex Sea Dweller (better movement than the UN,the cartier and the chanel. It has also a better crown system and a very solid case) or the L.U.C Chopard Pro One (inhouse movement with twin barrels exceeding 65hours of power reserve, it is extremely well finished and very robust too).
I know that you are partial to the 3135 series of Rolex watch movements, but how do you feel about the 40 mm sized (or larger) Jaeger-LeCoultre movements? I personally like them much better than Rolex, but you have more knowledge and experience than I do.

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
I know that you are partial to the 3135 series of Rolex watch movements, but how do you feel about the 40 mm sized (or larger) Jaeger-LeCoultre movements? I personally like them much better than Rolex, but you have more knowledge and experience than I do.
Well JLC movements are fine movements for dress watches and they succeeded well in the master control 1000 hours, master geogrpahique, master reveil, master compressor and reverso automatique.But they are not somewhat I would use as a daily beater or for very rough acvities. The rolex movements are the thickest movement produced today also I do like the microstella balance wheel and jeweled pivot system of Rolex. The 889 and its successors are very good movements but my other choice if I had to buy a heavy duty watch would be the new IWC Ingenieur with the 80110 movement with the samuel pellaton proven winding system.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Just a thought but why not two watches.

With your budget, you might be able to go a tad obscure and find a fashion watch and a watch with a beautiful movement as well.

I will let others post suggestions, but just a thought that I figured I'd through into the pool.

We have quite a few nice watches in the house that didn't break the bank. You may wanna pick up the Wristwatch annual and stroll through it and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Congratulations on your milestone|>

scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Channel is the best looking. In a similar price range, and equally "showy" in my opinion is a Louis Vuitton watch. I might get some flak for it, but I like their models.

The Rolex Sea-Dweller isn't too flashy, but is a serious timepiece, and conveys a sense of "wealth" that is popular in South Florida without screaming it. Plus, it is black on SS, so it will match anything you wear out! It is big enough to fit with the popular trend, without being so big that it looks silly (and can outlive the large watch trend when/if it tapers down). Plus, it has crown guards to protect from all those other big watches you might bang into while moving around a crowded bar. And, if I remember correctly, you might have a grand left over to go out for an evening. I know Miami/NY can put a serious dent on a wallet, especially for a birthday.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would go with the Ulysse Nardin of the three you listed. With that type of money you could do purchase some great watches. As you may know, one of the top diver watches is the IWC Aquatimer. IWC has many beautiful watches that should be looked at. I guess I could name 100 different watches in this price range.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
this thread is a year and a half old guys. I'm pretty sure he got a watch and is making the big bucks by now.:-d

1 - 20 of 25 Posts