·
Registered
904 Posts
I enjoy all three with this

Spring Drive Marine Master

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Voted for quartz mainly because of what I do for a living. I work in a machine shop so my work watches tend to get dinged and banged around quite a bit, hence the G-Shocks. But I do wear my autos on the weekend when not at work.

S

·
0 Posts
Handwounded and vintage: Valjoux 23, Valjoux 72, Venus, Valjoux 7733 / 7734, Valjoux 7760, Peseux 7001.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Overall I prefer automatic, but it depends on the watch IMHO. On classical watches a nice handwound movement is nice too! For diver's or tool watches quartz movements can be ok too. I really like Citizen's Eco-Drive movements :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
can you explain us what are these?
and what is the difference between aytomatic and handwind?(don't laugh i see u! B-) )
The Venus and Valjoux movements are (older) chronograph movements. The Peseux 7001 is a handwound movement with subsecond at 6. (it's for instance used as a base movement for the NOMOS movements AFAIK).
The difference between automatic and handwound movements is that a hand wound movement needs to be wound with the crown (daily) to keep it running. Automatic movements can be handwound (to get them started for instance), but they use the energy of the moving of your wrist to keep the watch running.

S

·
0 Posts
can you explain us what are these?
and what is the difference between aytomatic and handwind?(don't laugh i see u! B-) )
Well, Micha already explained the topic, you´ll see a lot of different movements here: http://www.watchscape.hpg.ig.com.br/index.htm.

The pics are exquisit imho so take your time to have a closer look.

Here´s a Valjoux 23 - a vintage beauty -:

And here´s the watch:

These old movements do have their special attraction (to me) because you can imagine what watchhmaking was about these times.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Vintage inhouse Omega movements , vintage Longines, IWC vintage and modern inhouse movements, Rolex movements, Zenith vintage and new movements as well as lemania movements, I however do like excelsior park and gallet movements the valjoux 72x, 88, 92 and 23 are fine by me even if the finish and quality are far inferior to lemania chrono movements.

P

·
0 Posts
Vintage inhouse Omega movements , vintage Longines, IWC vintage and modern inhouse movements, Rolex movements, Zenith vintage and new movements as well as lemania movements, I however do like excelsior park and gallet movements the valjoux 72x, 88, 92 and 23 are fine by me even if the finish and quality are far inferior to lemania chrono movements.
What is your opinion of the 2500 co-axial movement used in the Planet Ocean, or is it too soon in history to comment?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
What is your opinion of the 2500 co-axial movement used in the Planet Ocean, or is it too soon in history to comment?
Nice movement but too soon in history to comment. I generally have preference for something tested over the very long run using a very high grade ebauche/movement like lemania or inhouse. I am not a big fan of the eta 2892-a2 and other eta calibres.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A bit currious..;-)
I prefer handwound movements.
Lemania probably being the affordable ones that I like to see if I can purchase.
Valjoux handwound also are nice historic movements.

I find it interesting to see that only 20 percent desire handwound. It would seem that a highly prized piece of timekeeping that we wear on our wrist would need to take care of itself, as in automatic. It might take all of 45 seconds to wind a watch each day - how much simpler can life be? A fine automatic is great, but it seems to be more complicated and hence tending toward need for repair more frequently than the simplicity of a workhorse handwound. That's merely an opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm new to watches, but at the moment I prefer automatic. I just like the idea that a watch can operate without a battery and that it's been made to a very high degree. My opinion may change in the future, who knows.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I prefer this movement:

:-!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts