WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us have large collections with lots of overlap. This thread is not for you.

I have 8 watches and consider that too many. One watch overlaps two others in my collection but it’s just so well designed it’s not going anywhere.
For me, it’s the C63 Sealander. What is yours?

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Some of us have large collections with lots of overlap. This thread is not for you.

I have 8 watches and consider that too many. One watch overlaps two others in my collection but it’s just so well designed it’s not going anywhere.

View attachment 16028339
So, which ones does it overlap with?

As for mine, no overlap. I go by colour and get the watch I like the most in each of them. Blue and green done, salmon/orange incoming. Greyscale does not interest me. Purple surely does...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have 5 watches currently, and the only one that does NOT overlap is my Planet Ocean as its the biggest by quite a bit and my only diver.

My other 4 are generic 3-handers. 2 Grand Seikos from the Heritage collection, and a Rolex OP36 and Explorer II. Literally one of those 4 plus the Planet Ocean would have the same functionality in my collection. Maybe just 1 Rolex and 1 GS and the PO if I want to keep a no-date and a date watch.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I have four that overlap. My 5th an SBGV207 is an all-rounder in style and the most accurate, therefore the others are redundant.

In the spirit of the question I suppose my KonTiki. It's 200m WR but my Seamaster is 300mm. It could be worn as a dressy watch, but the GS is smaller and possibly more dressy. It's a great all rounder but then my Deitrich TC is slimmer so a better all rounder.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think you've found your groove, and that's a beautiful thing. Those three are definitely similar, but they are also great examples that define a look and, I imagine, a feeling for you. They all have a lovely blend of elegant ruggedness and probably make for a great day to day rotation.
That's not "overlap", that's style :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have 5 watches currently, and the only one that does NOT overlap is my Planet Ocean as its the biggest by quite a bit and my only diver.

My other 4 are generic 3-handers. 2 Grand Seikos from the Heritage collection, and a Rolex OP36 and Explorer II. Literally one of those 4 plus the Planet Ocean would have the same functionality in my collection. Maybe just 1 Rolex and 1 GS and the PO if I want to keep a no-date and a date watch.
Wow, down to only 5 now? I don't think I could do it.

·
Registered
G-Shock Square G-5600E
488 Posts
Here is a photo of my whole collection - seven watches. All are solar-powered quartz except for the TW Steel bottom left and Hamilton Khaki next to it. I park them on the wooden stand at my bathroom window where they happily suck in the sunlight. The TW Steel was my last purchase that reminded me of the Jaeger-Lecoultre aircrew watches we had while I was in the RAAF. Much the same shape and size. It's a huge watch and probably my favourite dress watch next to the Citizen Diver. The watch at top right is a Citizen Monocoque and I hope to replace it with the latest Monocoque upgrade called the Promaster Tough (see here) when its battery dies. (2008 model)

I don't think I will be expanding the collection although there are a few watches I like but can't really justify spending money on now that I'm retired and on a fixed income.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have two Glycine Combat Subs. Both the same case size, dial color, hand set and numerals on dial. I was worried the overlap would bother me. It hasn't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Bremont supermarine s300 white
1,345 Posts
My collection use to overlap with either divers or gada type watches. Now I'm down to two. Next and more than likely last watch is 3861 hesalite speedy. For me no overlap and the perfect 3 watch collection. A gmt, chronograph that's iconic albeit new movement, and a vintage dress watch.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do Daniel Wellington and Nomos count as an overlap? If they do... shrugs

Current watches :
1) a silver DW (old daily)
2) Christopher Ward C1 moonphase (newer daily, after second strap completely worn out, swapped in new straps and transitioned into winner daily)
3) G-shock all metal, rubber bands, woman's version (newly purchased, summer daily)
4) Nomos Ludwig 35 (dress, special occasion)

Watches to purchase in the near future :
1) Tissot Le Locle powermatic 80 (poor man's perfect dress watch. I've grown past that price range but this one really looks good. Probably as my second winter daily)
2) Cartier Santos medium (the only dress watch that looks natural on it's bracelet in my opinion. Summer daily if I do end up buying it)

Grail-tier watches that I might or might not buy :
1) Glashutte Original PML white (dress)
2) Glashutte Original Senator moonphase (dress)
3) Frederique Constant Manufacture Slimline Moonphase, Rose Gold version (only in this list because of price, but then it's actual gold so... looks like JLC moon but have dial details that better suit my taste)
4) Zenith Chronometer Sport 2021 white (the only sports watch that I can say I truly love. Summer daily)

Super Grail-tier watches that will probably never be obtainable :
1) Grand Lange 1 moonphase (dress, heirloom)
2) Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Moon, white (dress)

Conclusion : by now, I assume you've picked up that I love dress watches, and I love moon. Due to my preferences, a lot of my watches and future watches will have overlaps in features. However, this is not a problem for me as I'm 100% sure about my taste, and I see each of them to be different enough to be worth of a purchase.
(ok, maybe not GO PML vs Lange 1, but split-dial is just such a fire design)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Smiths Everest and the Seiko Mountain Glacia Alpinist, they are my "overlap" in my 4 watch collection.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
All my watches overlap one way or another, the biggest overlap probably between my Seiko Turtle and MM300. They overlap in some ways but are different enough in movement, quality, price and looks that I keep both.
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Do I have overlap? Maybe.

·
Premium Member
14,613 Posts
Would you consider this an "overlap"?

Considering I already have this?

Out of these?

Given we buy what we like, sooner or later we'll find ourselves having "overlaps" - similar design language, similar price points, colors, wearability...the list goes on.

I see nothing wrong with having slight overlaps, it simply tells you what you actually like.

View attachment 16028339

1 - 20 of 30 Posts