WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not all that into old watches -- mainly bcz they have other people's "history" on them: scars, scratches, etc, despite their fantastic designs.

But apparently, many WISs still greatly prize those old Breitlings, Wakmanns, Gigandets, HEUERs and many others (the Pogue) from the 70's, no matter how tattered they are.

In a way many of those brands were the "microbrands" of their time.

It is no wonder that so many micros today are resurrecting many of those old designs. Some might argue (as I do) that the best designs were reached about 5 decades ago.

Anything from our time? By that I mean, say, 2000 - 2020.

·
Registered
995 Posts
OK, I'll try to take a stab at it.. With current fashion for dive watches (which IMO will not be 50 years long lived) perhaps some of the iconic dive watch designs would be those desirable ones.
And I mean mechanical, as quartz in any forms- HAQ/Battery/Solar/Radio Controlled will not be so interesting, as the tech behind them would no doubts advance.
However, some classic Spring Drives (e.g., Credor Eichi or even GS) may be still in demand.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We will likely still be in covid lockdown so I'll say the kitchen clock.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Another vote for the Pelagos and maybe the GS Snowflake.

Two signature pieces from lesser-known but great brands that began their resurgence during that time period.

Plus both of these designs are mostly original, and not a part of the homage, fauxtina, and back catalog reissues that are so common now.

·
Premium Member
38,878 Posts
I'm very confident the Tudor Pelagos LHD is going to be an incredibly valuable watch in 50 years, write it down.
I’d agree that it’s going to be the best performing Pelagos and may well increase in value. But incredibly valuable? I’m sceptical.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with the Grand Seiko Snowflake. Grand Seiko has been around for a while but I feel like the snowflake talking points around the design elements of the watch have been getting some serious traction, especially in the last 3 or so years. Spring drive technology is truly ground breaking. Other major watch brands tout their antimagnetic spring technology, but for the most part a Rolex movement today is 90% the same as their movements from 50 years ago. the snowflake is a great fusion of traditional Japanese design, and ground breaking technology.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’d agree that it’s going to be the best performing Pelagos and may well increase in value. But incredibly valuable? I’m sceptical.
That's a really good point, and what defines "incredibly". I feel personally, a watch that resells for (adjusted for inflation of course) 3 to 4 times it's original MSRP would be incredibly valuable. But, when I stop and think about someone paying 3 million for a vintage stainless Daytona... I think you're right, the use of the word "incredibly" in these specific terms is probably not right. I wouldn't be surprised it even 15 or 20 years from now someone pays (adjusted for inflation vs todays dollars) $15K for a LHD, someone will also be concurrently paying $10 million for a stainless Patek, and from that, the LHD is only just "valuable".

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd say certain ana-digi G-Shocks, like some of the MR-G models and G-Steel models. The reason is, they're distinctive and interesting.

It's not going to be the Snowflake. That's mass-produced and people aren't throwing them in the trash.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts