WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on another thread started by a woman who was deeply touched that her father gave her his Seiko 5 Sports. You could feel how much she was effected by his gift and it got me thinking about the watch my father gave me. When I turned 50 a few weeks ago, he gifted me his Rolex Oysterquartz day/date. Ironically it was given to him by a business associate when he did business in Saudi Arabia in about 1980. It hit me hard. I remember as a young kid thinking it was the coolest thing in the world--Bright gold with diamonds!!!! The '80s were like that for you too young to remember! When he would go out of town and leave the watch at home I would sneak it out so I could wear it to school. Looking back I'm really happy I didn't lose or damage it. I don't think I would have made it out of the '80s if I did!

Here's a pic of the watch along with my white gold OP day/date.

I'd love to hear your story about a watch given to you by a loved one....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Got this circa 1967 Longines from my dad the last time I visited them. Originally given to him by my mom when they got engaged. It wasn't worn much, and at one point didn't work anymore. Sometime about 10 years ago (maybe more?- Neither of them remember), they got it serviced, but I don't know what was done at the service.

My dad doesn't really wear the watch much, so they thought I would like to have it.

I shined it up with a cape cod cloth, used some polywatch on the crystal to remove some scratches and put a new band on it. I was thinking about getting it serviced, but it seems to be keeping really good time, so I'll probably wait a little for the service.

Here's a pic with it on my wife (I was using her as a watch winder before I finally caved in and got one):

This is what it looked like before I cleaned it up:

This is a pic of the movement. I'm not sure if it is the original movement, as I wonder if it was replaced when my parents did the service. It looks like a Longines 291, but I don't know much else about it.

Here's a pic of the inside of the case back. Not sure what all of the numbers mean (is one a model number?):

I have been wearing the watch a couple of times a week to work. I assume it is fairly fragile (relative to a modern auto), so I only wear it when I know I'll be mostly desk diving. The rest of the time, I've got it on a watch winder.

·
Premium Member
69,696 Posts
None. Most of my family come from coal mining backgrounds and wearing a watch was not only impractical it often made the wearer the target of practical jokes.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
:-d..:-d..I give them watches...;-)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
gordon9999;121 Grandfather's 1959 Tudor Oyster: [IMG said:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/27/c8ba868ccd55699dc93abd2f0835fdca.jpg[/IMG]
Both are amazing but I LOVE the Tudor. I certainly understand why you treasure them.

I can't make out the inscription on the back of the Tudor. Can you tell us what it is?

Reactions: grayhulk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Both are amazing but I LOVE the Tudor. I certainly understand why you treasure them.

I can't make out the inscription on the back of the Tudor. Can you tell us what it is?
"Skipper
&
Shipmate
A.H <last name redacted>
C.C.C Papaw 59"

(C.C.C standing for Coast Guard Cutter.)

Now, if you can read the initials on the pocket watch, I'll be truly impressed. I thought it was just a decoration until my grandfather explained it…

And, yes, I adore this watch. It had been sitting in a drawer for decades when my mom came across it about a year ago. Still ran and kept great time, even before I got it serviced, polished, and put a new alligator strap on. I wear it all the time. Accurate to within about 8 seconds a day after 56 years, and it's never had a single part replaced.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A real daddy's girl, for sure...
You probably figured out that I was referring to your earlier post when I started this thread!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now, if you can read the initials on the pocket watch, I'll be truly impressed. I thought it was just a decoration until my grandfather explained it…
I'm guessing FLC?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 20 of 72 Posts