WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old man is reaching his third or fourth mid life crisis. He's been interested in a Rolex Daytona for years. Now he asks me (he knows I collect and study watches) what I thought of the idea of DLCing a Daytona. I personally don't like the look (turning a shiny dress watch into a tactical shiny dress watch???) but its his wrist and his lump of cash. Any of you guys have something like this to show? any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ethan

Sent Via Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok........not very helpful.

any wus users get this done?

Sent Via Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I don't recall seeing a Daytona done that way, but we've occasionally had members post other models that have been DLC'd. It's extremely expensive IIRC. Like you, I'm not a fan of the look.

Jeannie

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I can't imagine it would look at all nice. Perhaps he could spend to cash getting a gold one?

Not a Daytona fan at all, but for my money gold would be much, much better.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
PVDrolexdaytona_fr.jpg
If you do get this watch, don't spend like $40,000 for some made up "special edition" pvd version of it. Rolex does not produce a pvd version of any of their watches. Just buy a Daytona, then get it customized yourself, or buy a Daytona marketed as being customized this way.

I'm saying this after seeing a lot of false advertising regarding the "prohunter" edition, and "deep blue" edition. Who ever sells them makes them seem like they're a special edition from Rolex, when all someone did was put a pvd coating on a watch, add a few lines to the dial/caseback, and add over $10,ooo to the price. And don't forget the "certificate of authenticity," which doesn't prove anything special, and is a placebo affect.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
If his interest is a DLC'ed Rolex then he should purchase one. He needs to understand though, that such a modification will void his warranty, if I'm not mistaken, and Rolex would likely not service his watch. Granted, he could have it serviced several other places, but an additional fact remains. The more you customize an item the more limited the market you place it in. If he were ever to get bored of it, now that it's DLC'ed, he would have to find a very specific buyer to pick it up. He may choose to be buried with the watch, and therefore not be concerned with its future value, but most would hope a purchase of such a watch as a Daytona retain most of its original value. Has he considered Panerai, Zenith or any of several other manufacturers that offer a DLC, PVD, or factory blackened case?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If his interest is a DLC'ed Rolex then he should purchase one. He needs to understand though, that such a modification will void his warranty, if I'm not mistaken, and Rolex would likely not service his watch. Granted, he could have it serviced several other places, but an additional fact remains. The more you customize an item the more limited the market you place it in. If he were ever to get bored of it, now that it's DLC'ed, he would have to find a very specific buyer to pick it up. He may choose to be buried with the watch, and therefore not be concerned with its future value, but most would hope a purchase of such a watch as a Daytona retain most of its original value. Has he considered Panerai, Zenith or any of several other manufacturers that offer a DLC, PVD, or factory blackened case?
Most likely, he's buying it pre owned anyway. He has a friend with a jewelry store/pawn shop chain. Believe me, as a WIS, the first thing I said to him was to look at other companies like Sinn or Zenith. The fact is, he wants to buy a "Rolex". He wants the name brand. When it comes to resale value, I know he's wanted this for a long time. So, the only time this watch Will leave his wrist is when he's gone. As for the coating itself, a Panerai would be perfect for him because of the look he wants. The reason he likes DLC, is because he spent a week straight on that auction site looking at Rolexs. It was love at first sight. So he might get a cheap subpar coating and regret it. I suggested a cerakote coating from Jay at MCWW (I have something there now) bury he wants DLC. Anybody own one of these and have any thoughts on how they feel about it? Also, what's the origin of your coating?

Thanks.

Ethan

Sent Via Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
That probably kills a fat % of its resale value.

But how the owner feels about it is what's important; in your case there's added sentimental value.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I tried one on at my friend's watch shop. They aren't bad looking, just not my taste. If I had the cash for a Rolex it wouldn't be a PVD, SS all the way! Not the greatest shot of the PVD Daytona.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts