WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been out of the world of watch discussion forums and blogs for a while because I had WIS-fatigue, but I'm back for a question!

I am trying to help a friend who has eschewed wearing wristwatches for most of his life until recently when he started wearing an Apple watch and now he's getting a watch for celebration of his matrimony.
Last time I was looking, one couldn't quite score a 15300 or a Daytona new (those cost above $11000) so the best deals for $10000 were mostly JLC's.

What would you guys buy if you were buying your first nice watch for $10000?

·
Registered
539 Posts
If he does not own a Rolex yet I would go with a Date Just, Oyster Perpetual or Sub C.

You can get probably get a better discount on a DateJust or Oyster Perpetual.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I have no idea. I figure out what I want and then worry about what it costs and whether I'm willing to spend the money to get it. I don't determine how much I have to spend and then go looking for a way to spend the money.

All the best.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Don't think it's quite available widely yet so soon after SIHH but I'd spring for this one . . .

Attachments

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Don't think it's quite available widely yet so soon after SIHH but I'd spring for this one . . .
You have "a thing" for blue Reversos, do you? <chuckles>

All the best.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
708 Posts
Assuming I already have my current watches to play with, I'd put myself on the waitlist for one of them new Daytonas

·
Registered
95 Posts
I second GO PanoMaticLunar. But, I also recommend the old VC Overseas, as they got very close to 10K level, with the introduction of the new model. I think ADs want to clear old Overseas stock, before the new ones are shipped. The steel bracelet, white-dial one looks great!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well the timing is perfect right now for the Spring auction season. Yes I understand your friend is looking for new. Still I'd recommend your friend take a look at the big 4 houses (Antiquorum, Christies, Phillips, Sothebys). What the auctions will give your friend is a wide exposure to most major brands & watches quickly. (Not going to see much Seiko -- they have not generally done well in the secondary market.). There is some good scholarship, with the exception of Antiquorum's. Not to buy. For a newbie, it's a good way to build knowledge. You can see how many watches are so similar vs. the truly innovative ones.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
You have "a thing" for blue Reversos, do you? <chuckles>

All the best.
:-d Yes, bordering on irrational I think . . . was thinking about the new blue dialed Gondolo as a next purchase but this Reverso keeps inserting itself into the mind set. Another Reverso would be somewhat, if not very redundant but odds are it'll win out, though the die has not yet been cast . . .

Reactions: tony20009

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
:-d Yes, bordering on irrational I think . . . was thinking about the new blue dialed Gondolo as a next purchase but this Reverso keeps inserting itself into the mind set. Another Reverso would be somewhat, if not very redundant but odds are it'll win out, though the die has not yet been cast . . .
I like both watches. I especially like that I'm not the only person here who likes "corners." Have you looked at a GP Vintage 1945...just for a change of pace from the "usual suspects?"

Actually, though not the specific model above, it seems one can get some really sweet deals on GP watches. The VC AD in Baltimore has the GP below offered for less than $3K. That's not a bad price at all for a watch of that caliber.

I would not have expected the pre-owned market offered deals that nice on GP watches. Truly, with nice buys like that, there's really little reason anyone can't own a full on HEW. I have to be honest, I didn't look at their pre-owned inventory the last time I was there. It may be worth a trip when I get back home to see if they have something like the watch above that would make for a nice impulse buy...I don't generally think of HEWs that way, but for less than $3K, why not?

All the best.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the timing is perfect right now for the Spring auction season. Yes I understand your friend is looking for new. Still I'd recommend your friend take a look at the big 4 houses (Antiquorum, Christies, Phillips, Sothebys). What the auctions will give your friend is a wide exposure to most major brands & watches quickly. (Not going to see much Seiko -- they have not generally done well in the secondary market.). There is some good scholarship, with the exception of Antiquorum's. Not to buy. For a newbie, it's a good way to build knowledge. You can see how many watches are so similar vs. the truly innovative ones.
How does one participate in these auctions to learn about watches?

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
I like both watches. I especially like that I'm not the only person here who likes "corners." Have you looked at a GP Vintage 1945...just for a change of pace from the "usual suspects?"

Actually, though not the specific model above, it seems one can get some really sweet deals on GP watches. The VC AD in Baltimore has the GP below offered for less than $3K. That's not a bad price at all for a watch of that caliber.

I would not have expected the pre-owned market offered deals that nice on GP watches. Truly, with nice buys like that, there's really little reason anyone can't own a full on HEW. I have to be honest, I didn't look at their pre-owned inventory the last time I was there. It may be worth a trip when I get back home to see if they have something like the watch above that would make for a nice impulse buy...I don't generally think of HEWs that way, but for less than $3K, why not?

All the best.
The blue dialed model is very nice . . . new GP watches for whatever reasons can be had with nice discounts so used models have to follow that trend, definitely agree with your comments here.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am trying to help a friend who has eschewed wearing wristwatches for most of his life until recently when he started wearing an Apple watch and now he's getting a watch for celebration of his matrimony.
Last time I was looking, one couldn't quite score a 15300 or a Daytona new (those cost above $11000) so the best deals for $10000 were mostly JLC's.

What would you guys buy if you were buying your first nice watch for $10000?
Really depends on his taste and lifestyle. What is his job/dress code/hobbies?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could you explain where those "night"/"day" inscriptions belong to??

1 - 20 of 91 Posts