WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option between a Breitling Colt 44 with stainless band and black face or a Tag Carrera CV2014.BA0794. It is an award for a contest, so either choice would be on the house.

Could you experts chime in with some pros and cons to both watches? They both look good to me. The one drawback that I see is that the Breitling is not an automatic.

Actually, the Breitling Superocean 42mm was also a choice, but the rubber band and yellow bezel wasn't to my taste...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the option between a Breitling Colt 44 with stainless band and black face or a Tag Carrera CV2014.BA0794. It is an award for a contest, so either choice would be on the house.

Could you experts chime in with some pros and cons to both watches? They both look good to me. The one drawback that I see is that the Breitling is not an automatic.

Actually, the Breitling Superocean 42mm was also a choice, but the rubber band and yellow bezel wasn't to my taste...

Breitling colt for sure, the carrera is a sick time piece, but for me, between the two, it's not even close, Breitling Colt with the stainless band, I have a question though, is it the new colt, or the older one? since you said 44mm I'm assuming it's the new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the new colt 44. I'm hesitant to choose this watch because of it being the quartz, and I keep hearing that it's an entry level Breitling.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
While the Colt could be considered an entry level Breitling, I'd still go with it. Also, while TAG is a great company...I just see them as kind of played out. However, that doesn't stop me from trying to buy them on the B/S/T forum.. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Colt 44. SuperQuartz, thermocompensated quartz electronic, lithium battery with 8-year life, EOL indicator.
With this level of accuracy and precision you will not need to adjust the time again until the battery runs out in 8 years time ;-) AND (and that is a huge AND) it is a Breitling. IMO of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know the question is subjective. Both watches seem to be priced similarly as well. I originally was leaning towards the Breitling, but the fact that it's not an auto really is bothering me.

Maybe this question should have been asked in the general forum, but my hope was that one watch would have been overwhelmingly thought better versus the other.

I am not looking to flame one brand or the other. I am not that into watches. I've inherited my late father's Rolex which is priceless to me. I also have a black stainless Submariner which was another award. I am becoming a collector by default.

I must admit that I like nice things, so this timepiece hobby may catch on as I grow older.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are just trying to offer our opinions on the two choices, tags are quartz too, granted the one you are looking at is not, if there is a specific look you are after or if you are after a dressier watch, then the tag is the one to get. You do have a dive watch already, so if variety it is you are after, then go tag.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Breitling gets my vote. I've had a Colt SuperQuartz. Outstanding tough watches, very accurate and best bracelets on the market IMO.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yeah, I'm basing my opinion on having a Colt Auto (last gen) and seeing the new Colts in person. Nothing to do with Breitling vs. TAG...just strictly aesthetics at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While the Colt could be considered an entry level Breitling, I'd still go with it. Also, while TAG is a great company...I just see them as kind of played out. However, that doesn't stop me from trying to buy them on the B/S/T forum.. :)
I guess I don't get out much because I don't see many people with either tag or breitling watches. I'm still surprised that not one person recommends the tag. Are the two brands like Canon and Nikon? That is, as far as camera gear, you rarely ever have people using both Canon and Nikon. It's definitely one or the other.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I guess I don't get out much because I don't see many people with either tag or breitling watches. I'm still surprised that not one person recommends the tag. Are the two brands like Canon and Nikon? That is, as far as camera gear, you rarely ever have people using both Canon and Nikon. It's definitely one or the other.
You gotta realize where this is posted. The Breitling forum. As I said, if this was posted in the TAG forum, I'd be very curious to see the results.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's definitely one or the other.
I'm not sure that's completely the case. I would definitely consider myself a Breitling guy, in that I prefer Breitlings and they were my gateway drug into expensive timepieces, but I have many other watches that I wear often, and there are many, MANY more watches from Rolex, Bell & Ross, U-Boat, and Panerai that I lust after. I just agree with most other people that have responded in that I prefer the Colt over the Carrera.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,044 Posts
Without being vague in my reply, I suggest a quick browse through this link might give you an idea of just how difficult your quest has just become. This is the Breitling forum and for all the obvious reasons the readers and contributors are just a bit bias. How bias, that depends on how widely one has sampled from the wide world of horology! And, to say the least, it is a fascinating field of study and collecting.

Watchuseek.com l List of Watch manufacturers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone! I went with the Tag because the 41mm looked right for me. The Breitling was nice but looked huge on my wrist, plus the black faced Colt 44 would have taken another 8 weeks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE=quattroatl;4863988]Thanks for the input everyone! I went with the Tag because the 41mm looked right for me. The Breitling was nice but looked huge on my wrist, plus the black faced Colt 44 would have taken another 8 week

When you are at the point of separating with your hard earned bucks, watches tend to sing to you. What looks great in the display cabinet does not necessarily feel or look good on the wrist. However not wanting to wait for the B????

"Good things come to those who wait"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
QUOTE=quattroatl;4863988]Thanks for the input everyone! I went with the Tag because the 41mm looked right for me. The Breitling was nice but looked huge on my wrist, plus the black faced Colt 44 would have taken another 8 week

When you are at the point of separating with your hard earned bucks, watches tend to sing to you. What looks great in the display cabinet does not necessarily feel or look good on the wrist. However not wanting to wait for the B????

"Good things come to those who wait"
To each his own. I ultimately chose what I liked better. The watch was indeed hard earned but free. Breitling seems to be the more popular brand, but bottom line was I didn't like the way the Colt 44 looked at the end of the day.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You really think Breitling is more "popular" than TAG? In my opinion, it's the other way around. Regardless, glad you got what you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You really think Breitling is more "popular" than TAG? In my opinion, it's the other way around. Regardless, glad you got what you like.
By popular, I meant by the watch expert community. Breitling seems to have a higher brand image over tag. I could care less either way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts