WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a Bell & Ross BR 01 watch, and was curious as to what level most people would put the brand into?

The only watch in my "collection" is a U-Boat A925 and despite costing me £1995, I doubt many people would class a U-Boat watch as a highend or even luxury brand, more a fashion watch.

I've always get people commenting and admiring the watch, mainly due to the size of it and the matt silver finish, but they are always shocked when I tell them I paid near £2k for it since they've never even heard of the U-Boat.

I wouldn't put a B&R in the same league as a Rollie or even a Ling, but would you put it into the same league as say an Omega, Tag, Rado?
Or is a B&R like a U-Boat, more fashion orientated.

One of the reasons why I'd like to know is to determine whether the watch would still be worth its money if I decide to sell it on say a couple of years later.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
£1995?!...you really overpaid for a u-boat.

i'd rate B & R roughly in the same league as the higher-end Tags. definitely not in the same league as Omega though.

there are only a handful of brands that hold their value well and not B&R, nor Tag, nor Omega would fall in that category.

I'm looking to buy a Bell & Ross BR 01 watch, and was curious as to what level most people would put the brand into?

The only watch in my "collection" is a U-Boat A925 and despite costing me £1995, I doubt many people would class a U-Boat watch as a highend or even luxury brand, more a fashion watch.

I've always get people commenting and admiring the watch, mainly due to the size of it and the matt silver finish, but they are always shocked when I tell them I paid near £2k for it since they've never even heard of the U-Boat.

I wouldn't put a B&R in the same league as a Rollie or even a Ling, but would you put it into the same league as say an Omega, Tag, Rado?

One of the reasons why I'd like to know is to determine whether the watch would still be worth its money if I decide to sell it on say a couple of years later.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I recently read that they outsource some of their movement development to BNB Concept along with others.

This doesn't detract from them as a company. I just found it interesting. I assumed they were developing in-house.

Their fit and finish might be equal to some of the companies you mentioned but I wouldn't put them in the same league as those because their don't have the history.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, U-Boat's are very wellover-priced for what they are, base movements and no history imo.

Mine features 925 graded silver casing, I guess that's why it was so much more than the average Boat.
http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/U-Boat/Classico-53mm/Classico-53-A-925-Black-New-1912-Watch-(UB-305)

£1995?!...you really overpaid for a u-boat.

i'd rate B & R roughly in the same league as the higher-end Tags. definitely not in the same league as Omega though.

there are only a handful of brands that hold their value well and not B&R, nor Tag, nor Omega would fall in that category.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well, all I can say is that the fit and finish from B&R are excellent. They might not have the history or decorated movements (pedestrian really) but the case design alone is worth the admission.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
They make some fantastic watches although I would sway towards the more classic designs. They are ,however, way too expensive for what you are getting.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Very expensive (aren't they all), slightly fashion-y, over-sized, design-led and featuring well set up but fairly basic ETA movements. Not all of what they make is large and square (check out the Vintage and Space watches).

A lot of people don't like that they sell well because it upsets their view of what people really should buy if only they'd listen to people with superior knowledge :roll:.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

No, not worth the money. Yes, a fashion-"orientated" brand. Buy it if you like it, but don't expect much return on oversized wrist jewelry.

Also, please never use the term "Ling" again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A waste of money. At US$300 ETA mechanism & no history, does not equal a watch worth thousands - it is all marketing, like TAG. Read the article from this dud below...

The Watch Snob writes for AskMen.com

Watch Snob: The True Value Of Bell & Ross - AskMen.com http://bit.ly/96638d

"They are good-looking watches and I know many people like them. However, they do something that is almost inexcusable in the eyes of the Watch Snob. Bell & Ross is a prime example of a company that is selling nothing more than a cool-looking case and a dynamite marketing plan. Every single one of its watches use nothing more than a stock, off-the-shelf ETA automatic movement, the same movement you can buy yourself for around $300. Yet, the price of the average Bell & Ross hovers around $4,500.
A watch is about the entire package, not just its appearance. Any large watch company not making its own movement is not making a watch at all; they’re just playing dress-up."

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
B&R started off as a contract designers which got their designed watches made by SINN. Many will argue that B&Rs made by Sinn is probably their best mechanical watches in terms of actual watch. :)

However, they do have unique looks though their so called "Limited" editions with just different colored Lume is IMHO, outrageous marketing and I have seen some examples of the watch with badly finished hands, badly applied lume paint - paint not uniform, sloppy paint works, etc. However, overall, if the watch appeals to you and you have the wrist to handle the size (46mm square is LARGE watch) then why not.

However, since they do seem to depreciate rather quickly, I would suggest previously loved one from the reputable sources as someone noted, with pedestrian $300 off the shelf ETA movement, it will be VERY VERY tough to distinguish real thing from well made fakes.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
if you have your heart set on something like Bell and Ross, go for it. If however you want a unique well engineered watch that IMO value meets the price, I would suggest UTS watches.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I'd say Bell and Ross is a fashion brand.

To answer your question as to what some WUSers think ( you know since we're the end all and be all of watch experts), you might want to take a look at this thread here on the public forum

Brand Battle! -- Rank These Brands

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
+1 if you like the tool/military watch style, go UTS or Sinn. B&R, while having some great looking pieces, is standing on the shoulders of giants IMO.

if you have your heart set on something like Bell and Ross, go for it. If however you want a unique well engineered watch that IMO value meets the price, I would suggest UTS watches.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Fashion Watch. Wait .... overpriced, overhyped fashion watch.
Exactly, completley overhyped.
That says it all.
this thread is exactly why i said in another thread that WUS doesn't influence my horological opinions - you guys are way off base in your slagging of B&R. good for a laugh though:)
No, not worth the money. Yes, a fashion-"orientated" brand. Buy it if you like it, but don't expect much return on oversized wrist jewelry.

Also, please never use the term "Ling" again.
A waste of money. At US$300 ETA mechanism & no history, does not equal a watch worth thousands - it is all marketing, like TAG. Read the article from this dud below...

The Watch Snob writes for AskMen.com

Watch Snob: The True Value Of Bell & Ross - AskMen.com http://bit.ly/96638d

"They are good-looking watches and I know many people like them. However, they do something that is almost inexcusable in the eyes of the Watch Snob. Bell & Ross is a prime example of a company that is selling nothing more than a cool-looking case and a dynamite marketing plan. Every single one of its watches use nothing more than a stock, off-the-shelf ETA automatic movement, the same movement you can buy yourself for around $300. Yet, the price of the average Bell & Ross hovers around $4,500.
A watch is about the entire package, not just its appearance. Any large watch company not making its own movement is not making a watch at all; they’re just playing dress-up."
B&R started off as a contract designers which got their designed watches made by SINN. Many will argue that B&Rs made by Sinn is probably their best mechanical watches in terms of actual watch. :)

However, they do have unique looks though their so called "Limited" editions with just different colored Lume is IMHO, outrageous marketing and I have seen some examples of the watch with badly finished hands, badly applied lume paint - paint not uniform, sloppy paint works, etc. However, overall, if the watch appeals to you and you have the wrist to handle the size (46mm square is LARGE watch) then why not.

However, since they do seem to depreciate rather quickly, I would suggest previously loved one from the reputable sources as someone noted, with pedestrian $300 off the shelf ETA movement, it will be VERY VERY tough to distinguish real thing from well made fakes.
I'd say Bell and Ross is a fashion brand.

To answer your question as to what some WUSers think ( you know since we're the end all and be all of watch experts), you might want to take a look at this thread here on the public forum

Brand Battle! -- Rank These Brands

But hey, it doesn't matter what we think.

As long as you like it! :-!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I agree with Jason, get what u like. I think all watches are overpriced. All mechanical watches are fashion brands. Some people like more expensive fashion than others.

As for Lings, not a big fan. Lings look like some sort of babylonian astrological compass.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I think they broke the mold and created something different with their instrument line. Over priced, yes (like most others brands for that matter). But they did something different and it does not suck aesthetically. Invicta tries something new everyday and they still suck, I give props to B&R for that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts