WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today I heard that a watch I've been on waiting lists for 2-3yrs has arrived - a Rolex Seadweller.

And........I passed.

(OK if it had been a Green Sub offered I would have bought and flipped and rejoiced at the money made for doing nothing)

But why buy a watch to just make a bit of profit? Cos the truth is I have so enjoyed my new Omega Ploprof 1200 steel & Omega Seamaster diver 300 that the offer of this just didn't inspire me. I mean not at all. I want to buy watches to wear and enjoy and if they make money down the line, all the better. Most dont. This SD might.

Instead I found myself asking myself: "wouldn't you rather have another Ploprof - a vintage 600 or titanium to go with your 1200 steel?; or a new Speedy or a new white dial/orange Ploprof?" and I thought "yes" I would.

What would you have done? and more to the point, what should my next Omega be? :)

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Well, today I heard that a watch I've been on waiting lists for 2-3yrs has arrived - a Rolex Seadweller.

And........I passed.

(OK if it had been a Green Sub offered I would have bought and flipped and rejoiced at the money made for doing nothing)

But why buy a watch to just make a bit of profit? Cos the truth is I have so enjoyed my new Omega Ploprof 1200 steel & Omega Seamaster diver 300 that the offer of this just didn't inspire me. I mean not at all. I want to buy watches to wear and enjoy and if they make money down the line, all the better. Most dont. This SD might.

Instead I found myself asking myself: "wouldn't you rather have another Ploprof - a vintage 600 or titanium to go with your 1200 steel?; or a new Speedy or a new white dial/orange Ploprof?" and I thought "yes" I would.

What would you have done? and more to the point, what should my next Omega be? :)
New Speedy for sure.

As far as the other situation, the only thing I would have done differently is if I knew I had lost interest in the SeaDweller, I would have let the sales associate/manager (whomever you were dealing with at the AD) know beforehand.

I certainly agree with not buying it if you no longer wanted it and, clearly, I'm all for adding more Omega to a collection.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
New Speedy for sure.

As far as the other situation, the only thing I would have done differently is if I knew I had lost interest in the SeaDweller, I would have let the sales associate/manager (whomever you were dealing with at the AD) know beforehand.
I certainly agree with not buying it if you no longer wanted it and, clearly, I'm all for adding more Omega to a collection.
I think the thing is, in theory I wanted it, very much so 2 years ago - but have kinda fallen out of love with Rolex - so when it came to it, I was not excited at all - just pragmatically thought "can I make money?" rather than "wow, I've had the call and I get the watch I've wanted for ages". In the intervening time since ordering and waiting, I have got rid of my Sub that I probably wore no more than 20x in 18months (having already got rid of my DSSD that I wore as a daily for years) - and I now have the ploprof which I think superior to the SD.

tomorrow gonna look at all the Speedies

which is your choice?

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I think the thing is, in theory I wanted it, very much so 2 years ago - but have kinda fallen out of love with Rolex - so when it came to it, I was not excited at all - just pragmatically thought "can I make money?" rather than "wow, I've had the call and I get the watch I've wanted for ages". In the intervening time form ordering of waiting, I have got rid of my new Sub that I probably wore no more than 20x in 18months (having already got rid of my DSSD that I wore as a daily for years) - and I now have the ploprof which I think superior to the SD.

which is your choice?
Since the latest Snoopy is completely unavailable, I'd go with the new Sapphire one myself.

Nice duo! Make it a trio. We love 3s...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yes a Speedy would complement your collection. Maybe simply the classic with hesalite.

I think I would have at least tried the Rolex, maybe you would have bonded with it, even though you sold your other ones. I am on the list for the 36mm Ex but am absolutely not sure whether I really want it. But I will at least try it on at the AD.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I think the thing is, in theory I wanted it, very much so 2 years ago - but have kinda fallen out of love with Rolex - so when it came to it, I was not excited at all - just pragmatically thought "can I make money?" rather than "wow, I've had the call and I get the watch I've wanted for ages". In the intervening time form ordering of waiting, I have got rid of my new Sub that I probably wore no more than 20x in 18months (having already got rid of my DSSD that I wore as a daily for years) - and I now have the ploprof which I think superior to the SD.

which is your choice?
I'd have still taken it. Sometimes wearing it can be the key to liking it. People who've seen my posts over the years know that I'm a Seamaster fan, never been the biggest Speedmaster fan. But seeing all the price increases, I wanted one before they become more expensive. Now that I own it, I appreciate it more.

I respect you didn't put your name down to make money. However you couldn't loose on the deal if you truly didn't like it after owning it for a few months.

·
Premium Member
14,590 Posts
I respect you for passing it along to someone that wanted it more

If I'm being honest, I would have bought it, worn it to see how I felt about it, then made a decision. Sad truth? I would have probably listed it to get a watch I desire more at net no-cost to me. Hate me, it is understandable

But....that is why I am not on a wait list.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Since the latest Snoopy is completely unavailable, I'd go with the new Sapphire one myself.

Nice duo! Make it a trio. We love 3s...
:) - I did ask about the Snoopy a while ago and was informed politely about my chances - more likely I will walk on the moon

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I’m not sure what I would have done in your shoes but I also applaud your principled decision. I’m also sort of falling out of love with Rolex. The lack of availability, the snobbishness associated increasingly with the brand and the lack of imagination are starting to turn me off. I only have one Rolex, a white dial OP 39 but I’m seriously considering letting it go. I took a walk down 47th Street in Manhattan’s diamond district yesterday and the sight of all those hundreds of the most hyped up Rolexes being hawked at outrageous prices only increased my distaste for the brand.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I respect you for passing it along to someone that wanted it more

If I'm being honest, I would have bought it, worn it to see how I felt about it, then made a decision. Sad truth? I would have probably listed it to get a watch I desire more at net no-cost to me. Hate me, it is understandable

But....that is why I am not on a wait list.
Like I said brother - if there had been a bigger profit to be made (say offered a green sub) I wouldn't have hesitated - who turns down a quick £5k, so no principled virtue here - I just figured If I bought it, I'd wear it, and then maybe sell it and make a grand or so and why - let someone else enjoy it

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m not sure what I would have done in your shoes but I also applaud your principled decision. I’m also sort of falling out of love with Rolex. The lack of availability, the snobbishness associated increasingly with the brand and the lack of imagination are starting to turn me off. I only have one Rolex, a white dial OP 39 but I’m seriously considering letting it go. I took a walk down 47th Street in Manhattan’s diamond district yesterday and the sight of all those hundreds of the most hyped up Rolexes being hawked at outrageous prices only increased my distaste for the brand.
yes, great watches, but to me something distasteful about all the shenanigans n IG culture -
If you love watches you respect Rolex - but a while ago they left my head n heart space

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes a Speedy would complement your collection. Maybe simply the classic with hesalite.
I think I would have at least tried the Rolex, maybe you would have bonded with it, even though you sold your other ones. I am on the list for the 36mm Ex but am absolutely not sure whether I really want it. But I will at least try it on at the AD.
Hah, my first decent watch was a hesalite Speedy in the summer of '91 - long gone - maybe its time to return now that they are ceasing production
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

TS Eliot

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hah, my first decent watch was a hesalite Speedy in the summer of '91 - long gone - maybe its time to return now that they are ceasing production
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

TS Eliot
Ceasing production? You mean of the previous 1861 generation?
I stopped by an Omega boutique yesterday and tried on the new sapphire sandwich. I was really impressed. The upgrade in quality compared to the previous generation is remarkable. I own an 1988 Speedy and I must admit that trying on the new generation has me thinking about swapping it one day.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Rolex? I think I heard about that brand once. I've never seen one. I went to a store that had this giant green and gold sign out front and noticed that their entire display case was empty.

I thought.....damn, COVID hit Rolex.....people bought out all the toilet paper and paper towels at Costco, so they must have gone to the Rolex AD'S and bought out all the Rolex watches as well!!!!!

So then I went to (name any brand here) and saw watches for sale. So I figured it wasn't COVID. So what is it?

I'm joking here of course. But that's a good honest decision not to feed the current idiocy going on with the Rolex market.

I like Omegas way more myself. I actually prefer Tudor as well. GRAND Seiko is on that list too. I put myself on the wait list for an Explorer II. I'm mostly curious as to when it will ever arrive. I'll try it in and see how I like it.

If it's in the time frame I think it will be, I'll be too old to Explore anything.....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd have taken it, flipped, it, and bought a Glashutte Original something or other. Or, perhaps more likely, a few very nice Swiss and German pieces with ETA and Sellita movements I really, really like and intend to keep.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not a best practice but yes,I would have bought and sold as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts

And........I passed.

Good on you, man! Here's hoping that the next person on the list was thrilled to be called for a watch that they're truly excited about.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts