WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, maybe I'm a scumbag because I would have bought it in a heartbeat and turned it into a free watch that I actually wanted.
but the profit margin on selling is very modest
It costs UK 9.3; it sells grey at about 12.5 & I figured a dealer wouldnt pay more than 10???
Lot of agro for a few quid? or have I got all the maths wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Nothing wrong with passing. I have had my eye on one for quite a few years. Lovely watch, but I have too many other hobbies which are $$ too. That is what makes the Micros value to specs imo so hard to beat if you can live without the label. Cheers and stick with what you like in the end.

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
250 Posts
It costs UK 9.3; it sells grey at about 12.5 & I figured a dealer wouldnt pay more than 10???
A few grand will get you most of the way there

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
1. Not everyone can wear a Polprof and make it look like an OP36 😂

2. I agree with you. I like the SD but meh! I am starting to lose interest in most Rolex watches. I think a lot of people are buying because its Rolex and "worth" so much or "will hold value." and not because they truly "love" it. I have been told OP41s are now allocation pieces and require "purchase history like Pepsi and Daytona". I have now heard it hall. I am moving on. I like my Rolexes but damn this is insane.

·
Premium Member
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A few grand will get you most of the way there
ok - but Im not sure there was a few grand profit between the flipper and the grey
This isnt a green sub or daytona where the grey/used secondary market margins are much higher?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Good on you Simon for not jumping into the fray. Truth be told, there isn't a Rolex I pine for, but if I had to get one, it would be the previous SD, 116600. For the money, there are any number of other watches I'd rather have.

·
Premium Member
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good on you Simon for not jumping into the fray. Truth be told, there isn't a Rolex I pine for, but if I had to get one, it would be the previous SD, 116600. For the money, there are any number of other watches I'd rather have.
yes, several years ago before the gold rush, I saw a 116600 languishing in an AD window and thought - meh - hindsight's a painful thing :)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Well, today I heard that a watch I've been on waiting lists for 2-3yrs has arrived - a Rolex Seadweller.

And........I passed.

(OK if it had been a Green Sub offered I would have bought and flipped and rejoiced at the money made for doing nothing)

But why buy a watch to just make a bit of profit? Cos the truth is I have so enjoyed my new Omega Ploprof 1200 steel & Omega Seamaster diver 300 that the offer of this just didn't inspire me. I mean not at all. I want to buy watches to wear and enjoy and if they make money down the line, all the better. Most dont. This SD might.

Instead I found myself asking myself: "wouldn't you rather have another Ploprof - a vintage 600 or titanium to go with your 1200 steel?; or a new Speedy or a new white dial/orange Ploprof?" and I thought "yes" I would.

What would you have done? and more to the point, what should my next Omega be? :)
In the end I think you made the right decision. The one that suited you and your situation.

People are in the "watch collecting hobby" for different reasons. I put watch collecting hobby in quotations because a lot of the time it is neither about collecting or a hobby...it's a money-making venture. They couldn't care less about the history or watchmaking ability of any brand. It's strictly about the desirability and profit to be made.

I may be way off base here but, judging from that Plogeur Professionnel in your collection, I'd wager that you are a watch enthusiast. And, as such, made a decision based on interest and passion. In my humble opinion, it's when people buy and flip for profit that leads to artificially inflated prices.

As for what OMEGA you should be looking at for your next acquisition...I'd say either a Speedmaster (whichever of the Moonwatches blows your kilt up) or a Planet Ocean. The Speedy if you want to diversify a little, and the PO of you're more into purpose-built divers.

Best of luck with whichever brands or watches you decide to pursue.

René

Reactions: JLittle

·
Registered
223 Posts
The OP didn't wan't a Rolex Seadweller. I don't blame you for passing on it because it just isn't for you at this time whatever those reasons are. When you ask the members on line what they would do then you are asking for opinions so I will give mine. I am someone who may not want the Rolex being offered, but I am trying to maintain a purchase history with the AD because there will be something I do want. So I would have bought it, maybe wear it maybe not wear it, but ultimately I would sell it or trade it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well, today I heard that a watch I've been on waiting lists for 2-3yrs has arrived - a Rolex Seadweller.

And........I passed.

(OK if it had been a Green Sub offered I would have bought and flipped and rejoiced at the money made for doing nothing)

But why buy a watch to just make a bit of profit? Cos the truth is I have so enjoyed my new Omega Ploprof 1200 steel & Omega Seamaster diver 300 that the offer of this just didn't inspire me. I mean not at all. I want to buy watches to wear and enjoy and if they make money down the line, all the better. Most dont. This SD might.

Instead I found myself asking myself: "wouldn't you rather have another Ploprof - a vintage 600 or titanium to go with your 1200 steel?; or a new Speedy or a new white dial/orange Ploprof?" and I thought "yes" I would.

What would you have done? and more to the point, what should my next Omega be? :)
Good on you for having the personal code to turn it down.

If my number came up and I didn’t want it by the time that was, like you, I’d simply pass on it. The next person will probably have waited a while, it’s nice that they get to enjoy it.

Well done and good for you.

Reactions: Simon

·
Premium Member
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The OP didn't wan't a Rolex Seadweller. I don't blame you for passing on it because it just isn't for you at this time whatever those reasons are. When you ask the members on line what they would do then you are asking for opinions so I will give mine. I am someone who may not want the Rolex being offered, but I am trying to maintain a purchase history with the AD because there will be something I do want. So I would have bought it, maybe wear it maybe not wear it, but ultimately I would sell it or trade it.
Actually I really did want one 2 years ago - but been put off Rolex - sold my Rolexes - have discovered Omega - and decided I dont want another Rolex just to sell n make a few quid - let someone else be blessed by a beautiful watch - I'm looking at Omegas tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
9,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Good on you for having the personal code to turn it down.

If my number came up and I didn’t want it by the time that was, like you, I’d simply pass on it. The next person will probably have waited a while, it’s nice that they get to enjoy it.

Well done and good for you.
Thanks mate - if they;d offered me the new sub like yours, things may have been different ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If you were planning to sell the SD to a dealer you would have really not made much, if any, of a premium. Maybe a small kitty. So I think you did the right thing. I'd add a new Speedy to your trio!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Not sure why people think they are
no your math is right. There is no real money to be made if you pay fees and get stuck paying capital gains tax.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You IRL trolled the AD, which I applaud.
I bet they are sitting in some dive bar, micro analyzing the past 24hrs trying to piece together what went wrong.

The manual clearly states the longer you can make them wait, the larger the surface area of your buttocks they will caress and knead.

·
Premium Member
36,191 Posts
IMHO, easy.

Buy what YOU like the best and enjoy it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
your math is right-- 20% margin after paying taxes during purchase, and then paying tax on the gain (and the aggro of selling it) isnt worth it unless you are a grey market dealer who does this as their main job

·
Premium Member
13,178 Posts
Simon, your decision has put a smile on someone who has also been waiting for a long time. A watch is only new once.

LOoOser in the brotherhood

21 - 40 of 55 Posts