WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a speedmaster pro (sapphire or hesalite, still weighing options).

I plan on wearing on bracelet primarily, I have read the modern bracelets are vastly superior. What year would be a good "no older than" to set my sights on?

Also, at what age should I assume a service will be needed? 5 years? So anything pre 2012 assume in need to service?

Thanks for all the advice.

Been debating sub no date vs speedy, but strong lean to speedy due to price at the moment. I'm very indecisive!

Pic from my trip to AD today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in a similar position two weeks ago. Could not decide between a sapphire FOIS and a new Speedy Pro. Finally decided to go for a good looking 25 yr old Speedy pro with tritium dial that just had a service. After seeing one 'live' I found it has more character than a new one. Maybe try to see one of those before making a decision?
The official omega service center here told me service intervals for Speedmasters are between 5 to 8 years.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If you are after a modern one, I think anything with the reference 3570.50 from the late 1990 onwards will be largely the same, although they are always tweaking the design. You might want to start by reading this little article, concentrating on what it says about later models, and then see where the Internet takes you.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-buyers-guide-part-1/

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you are after a modern one, I think anything with the reference 3570.50 from the late 1990 onwards will be largely the same, although they are always tweaking the design. You might want to start by reading this little article, concentrating on what it says about later models, and then see where the Internet takes you.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-buyers-guide-part-1/
The 3570.50 does not have the new bracelet. The new bracelet has screw in pins as opposed to the push through ones. The clasp is also slightly different. It's superior to the old bracelet, IMHO.

The new one 311.somenumbers.00x comes with the presentation box and a couple other nylon straps. The presentation box itself is pretty awesome. Again, IMHO, the new model is worth the price increase especially if you buy a lightly used one. There's about a 300-400 difference, if that, between the two model revisions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Didn't realize the 3570.50 all had old bracelet.

I've only handled the new models and the bracelet is really nice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
While the newer bracelets are better, the older ones are still quite comfortable. If you care about the bracelet, I wouldn't go any earlier than a 1499/842 (1996-1998), though.

If you're looking for a solid caseback speedy, it generally makes sense to buy new from a trusted broker, as the cost of a used one plus a servicing is often at or near a new one.

If you're looking for a hesalite front/sapphire display back speedy (only available as used), try to find an early 3572.50 with the yellow-gilded 863 movement. That's easily one of the best-looking display movements that Omega has ever produced. See this (not my watch): https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/speedmaster-1861-vs-1863-a-2174530-2.html#post18476834

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 3570.50 does not have the new bracelet. The new bracelet has screw in pins as opposed to the push through ones. The clasp is also slightly different. It's superior to the old bracelet, IMHO.

The new one 311.somenumbers.00x comes with the presentation box and a couple other nylon straps. The presentation box itself is pretty awesome. Again, IMHO, the new model is worth the price increase especially if you buy a lightly used one. There's about a 300-400 difference, if that, between the two model revisions.
Omega could have easily increased the price on the Speedmaster alone then left it at that and it would still be selling. I respect the length they went to significantly updating the box and accessories like that plus the bracelet. You're paying more but getting more in return now.

I was going to get a secondhand 3570 from about 2005-2010 but once you factor in the cost of a service it only ends up being like £100-£200 less than it costs to just buy a slightly discounted new one.

These are complex watches with the chronograph, they cost more to service than box standard 2/3 hand watches with maybe a date complication. My 3 hand Seamaster with a date was £350 to service with Omega, I dread the day I find out how much my Speedmaster is, I'm guessing close to £500 - most likely close to what a Submariner service from Rolex is since they charge more than Omega anyway.

The new bracelet is thicker/more robust with a bit more weight than the last one.

It uses a fake screw system too. On a Rolex like the Submariner it uses a single screw all the way through. This is secure but can stretch the bracelet out over time and it loses shape. The 3570 Speedmaster uses pins alone which hold shape but can in rare instances fall right out of the bracelet and the watch would fall off your wrist. The new current .005 model still uses pins so it doesn't stretch out but has screws on the end acting like end caps to make sure the pins don't fall out.

I'd honestly rate it as;

Screws + pins > screws > pins

The new bracelet can't use half links though so bare that in mind. The 3570 can. The notches on the bracelet for micro adjustment only allow for just about half a links worth of adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts