WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What up G's had a couple questions. First... does the value of G depreciate if you customize it in any way? Second... I stealthed my GX-56 and i love it but my question is do i know have whats conciderd a rare G? What you guys thimk about this look? I know its not true stealth, but still how is tha all black look?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I would say, as with most things, when you customize a watch (by altering factory specifications) you have lowered the value. By stealthing your G56, it is rare in the sense that there are probably not many exactly like it. However, anyone can re-create the modifications you have made quite easily and since you started with a mass produced G56...it is not rare in the sense that the value would be higher.

The only reason to customize something is because you enjoy it. From the standpoint of a collector, original is best.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Yes, it kills the resale value. If you do a unique customization that is challenging to do (such as put in a custom EL image) it can potentially raise the value of the watch, but it will be difficult to find someone who sees the value in your modification (most people want official products, not tampered-with products). If you sell, you should mention that you were the one who customized it, and make it clear that it did not come this way.

Watch looks nice, by the way

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
The custom mod job looks pretty good. Doesn't really affect the value at all, unless it's a limited edition, IMHO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys this is MY watch forever now cuz i did change it for my self and for a profit. this site is tight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
nice mod there, who knows if the military inspired version will looks like this in future?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Looks good.
Love the mods, but if you're looking to resell, it'll depend on buyer.

enjoy your stealthy king. ;-)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
it looks good, but considering its a mod i think it did depreciate. few things you have to take into consideration i think. first of all how good the die job and the stealthing. is that even a word? when removing the lettering was it removed cleanly and no paint residue left over? i have seen a attempted stealth on a 6900 which was absolutely terrible and the case was all scratched up. was the die job even and clean? i did a die job on a bezel and bracelet that ended in disaster. it looked ok from a distance but on close inspection there were uneven streaks and dots. the most important thing in my opinion is did you retain the overall integrity of the watch? do all functions still work? is the fit and finish as if the watch was not taken apart? was everything put back together cleanly and do all the screws still look new? there are a lot of people who take apart their watches and dont take into consideration the integrity of the screws. if all your screw heads are ruined and jacked then in my opinion that shows a lack of attention to detail. can you please show close up pictures of your case back? im just curious how the screws look. thanks!

peace,

miguel

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Looks good.
Love the mods, but if you're looking to resell, it'll depend on buyer.

enjoy your stealthy king. ;-)
I agree, all in the eyes of the buyer with a mod. From scouring the sales forums, people usually don't recoup the $$ they put in. But in this case, you could probably get your money out of it since you didn't spend a lot to mod it.
With mod's that include custom EL's people sometimes worry about the Water resistance being compromised...

Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts