WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a lot of fanfare about the movement being an "ETA killer", else an alternative to ETA movements for smaller watch companies and independents. I haven't heard of any new watches being equipped with this caliber. It has been well over a year since there's been some news about it ... updates anyone?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link ... I was just wondering why there was no news about it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Many of the micro/boutique brands are using it. Benarus Moray 3, Mil-diver, and Ramora use them, the Lum-Tec Combat series, Red Sea Holystone and Six Pounder, some Junkers models, and I am sure many more. Hexa was going to but switched to the Sii NE15. Why no market splash probably has to do with the delay in production that has occurred and with them initially being used in brands that make their runs in the hundreds or less. To be an ETA killer, they would need to penetrate into the large run/mass produced arena, which is much tougher to do.

Personally I think it could compete against the common grade ETA 2824-2. It has a slightly tighter spread (-10 to +30) compared to the ETA (-30 to +30). While the ETA is adjusted in two positions, the 9015 is measured for its accuracy in 4 and adjusted in one. All the other specs seem to be about the same. So if it proves to be reliable, it could cut into base ETA market. The other two grades of ETA outperform it though, so if you are a manufacturer and use the higher grade ETAs in some models, you might stick with ETA even in the first grade.

I think it is an excellent choice for micro brands (once the delay passes).

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that Smiths looks real nice, and for a really good price as well! Thanks for the info.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Well congrats on that, I look forward to your impressions and pics! It certainly looks like a fantastic watch for the money. Love that domed crystal. I would have snapped one up myself but felt it was just a bit big for me at 40mm with almost 50mm lug to lug. But I'm sure for most people it's probably ideal for a watch in that style.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My maximums would be 38mm for a dress watch, 40-41mm for a general-purpose watch, and I might be able to stretch that to 43-44mm for a chronograph or diver.

The lug-to-lug seems close to my limit, but I think I'll be able to wear it.

I'd written to Eddie and he'd replied that there might be mail delays (due to Christmas) so he wouldn't be able to give me a delivery date, but that he'd send it out by Monday. I look forward to getting it!

Well congrats on that, I look forward to your impressions and pics! It certainly looks like a fantastic watch for the money. Love that domed crystal. I would have snapped one up myself but felt it was just a bit big for me at 40mm with almost 50mm lug to lug. But I'm sure for most people it's probably ideal for a watch in that style.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice watch, and that's good news about the timekeeping!

My Deep Blue Depthmaster 3000M uses the 9015. It runs very smoothly... it has lost about 4-5 seconds in the week I've had it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My RedSea Holystone has this movement and I'm very pleased with it. The timekeeping on my watch (serial number: lucky #13) has been dead-on, to the second, for this past week. It got there via a slightly curvy road: after a couple days, it was about +2 or 3, then it lost a couple seconds, now in the past couple days it’s been right on at +/-0. The variance seems to correlate to the way I’m storing it when not wearing it (i.e. dial up, crown up, etc) so I should be able to keep this one right in the zone just by managing that. Maybe there is something to this new and highly acclaimed Miyota 9015 movement after all.

Here's my watch: which I'm also very happy with. If you're interested, see a review I posted earlier this week.

I, too, like the looks of that Smiths Everest, and as a former owner of their PRS-29B model, I can vouch for the excellent design, craftsmanship, and value their watches deliver.

Cheers ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts