WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at some watches for quite a while, and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at some 'diverish' watches that hopefully I can use a dress watch or maybe some simple diving (only junior PADI). Since i am don't have the financial needs or the time to get a complicated or professional watch (newbie), I have narrowed it down to 3 watches:

1.SEIKO SKX007 (If i am correct should be extremely reliable?)
2.Pseudo-Ruhla RN Combat Divers Watch from Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pseudo-Ruhla-ET...5QQihZ027QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
3.Prometheus Ocean Diver.

I'm looking for a watch that is reliable and will last a long time. Since my School's having prom too, i'm hoping to impress my friends who only own paltry quartz swatches. Any opinons would be great in helping me consolidate my choice!

Thank You!

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
From these watches I'm guessing the price range is under $500?

In the $100-200 range the Seiko Black or Orange monsters are very popular and have a rugged and durable reputation. I have had mine for 9 years now and it still gets weekly wrist time. AS you have the SKX007 but note there are many other models based on this case (SKX009, SKX171.....).

Finding a nice Seiko Sumo may be an option here. This is a Asian market watch that can not be bought at a local store in the US. You can easily pick up a nice one on the sales forum for around $400 or less.

Zeno makes a line of diver watches which are Swiss made and most fall around mid point in this price range.

Watch the Sales forum and other forums here at WUS and ask questions when you see things of interest. You will find people very helpful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could also look at Some Orient and Invicta watches. Here is a good comparison of each. I'd never owned an automatic until recently, when my wife purchased me an Orient Diver from Discount Watch Store for my birthday. I've have several old manual russian dive watches and a few quartz victorinox watches and I must say I really, really like that orient. It's well priced, looks great and keeps really good time. Throw it on a zulu and you've got an awesome daily wear watch. I liked the automatic movement so much I bought a Seiko black monster off of the forum a week later and am currenty saving for my personal, affordable grail watch . Out of both I'd have to say that the black monster is heavier, I'd probably consider it more of a workhorse than the Orient but the Orient gets more wrist time for me.

nb

·
Registered
156 Posts
Finding a nice Seiko Sumo may be an option here. This is a Asian market watch that can not be bought at a local store in the US. You can easily pick up a nice one on the sales forum for around $400 or less.

Zeno makes a line of diver watches which are Swiss made and most fall around mid point in this price range.

Watch the Sales forum and other forums here at WUS and ask questions when you see things of interest. You will find people very helpful.
If only finding a used Sumo were that easy! The last one put up on the sales forum got snapped up before the pixels were dry! A new black one did go on the 'bay last night for 4 Benjamins, though.

Also can't go wrong with a Monster or 007. They can serve as the "good watch" to start your collection, and transition very well to beater/mod candidate as your tastes refine and your collection grows.

Agreed on the Zeno. In fact, there's a 300 SEL on in the Sales forum right now that I would've pulled the trigger on if it were a little larger. I'm holding out for my Blue Sumo, but you should check it out:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=235112

(hope it's OK to link; mods please feel free to strike)

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think the 007 is an awesome choice (I've never been a monster person, but admittedly a recent tuna convert). The 007 is timeless. Some of the monster color combos I question (ha ha). There are so many neat mods out there too, but stock is perfectly cool too.

If you could make a bit of a jump or maybe buy used, a GSAR or TSAR would be really nice.

·
Registered
933 Posts
the seiko monster/skx are great for the fact they can be made into a one of kind with some cheap mods and you can stick a sapphire crystal in there as well.

you can get some decent used quartz for fairly cheap saw a nice tag kirium for 500bucks on the forums.

you could probably get a swiss army/hamilton dive watches for under 400 on the forums as well. halmitons are greatvalue for the price and tend to have a cheaper resale which is nice if your buying to keep.

used tsar as mentioned .,

citezen ny?????? seems like a popular diver as well.

cory

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Do you intend to dive?

I have been looking at some watches for quite a while, and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at some 'diverish' watches that hopefully I can use a dress watch or maybe some simple diving (only junior PADI). Since i am don't have the financial needs or the time to get a complicated or professional watch (newbie), I have narrowed it down to 3 watches:

1.SEIKO SKX007 (If i am correct should be extremely reliable?)
2.Pseudo-Ruhla RN Combat Divers Watch from Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pseudo-Ruhla-ETA-Automatic-Combat-Divers-Watch-Nylon_W0QQitemZ400027720905QQihZ027QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or
3.Prometheus Ocean Diver.

I'm looking for a watch that is reliable and will last a long time. Since my School's having prom too, i'm hoping to impress my friends who only own paltry quartz swatches. Any opinons would be great in helping me consolidate my choice!

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
As I understand it, you're still in school and have a limited budget. Thus, you want a watch that, while still reasonably priced, can serve as sports and dress and everyday watch.

The Seiko 007 you mentioned is an excellent choice. The build quality is reliably rugged, so you can use it to dive, play sports, etc. The styling is classic, so you can also wear it to more formal occasions (such as your prom.) And, as noted, later on you can easily mod the watch and give it a new look with aftermarket dials, hands, crystal, etc. Make sure you get it with a bracelet if you get this model; that makes it more dressy.

The ebay Pseudo Ruhla isn't a bad deal, but I don't think it's reliable enough to take diving. Lume is reportedly pretty weak, and the crown and bezel are sometimes sloppy. It's more of a watch a collector who happens to have a bunch of pricy watches might buy just to bang around and play with (and not care if it breaks down next month).

The Prometheus looks very cool, to be sure, and it seems like the owner of the company is committed to quality control, using (in this case) a very reliable watch movement. However, because it's a young company, it's unproven. I'm not saying that something bad will go wrong with it if you purchase it, but compared to an old, established company with a stellar reputation (like Seiko), it seems like a bit of a gamble. I'd hate to see you disappointed; again, some of the guys on this forum have dozens of nice watches, so if they buy something that happens not to work, they have another nice watch waiting in the wings that they can access with no problem.

So of the three you mention, I'd go with the Seiko. I might also mention that they have many similar models that vary only in dial and hand design, so I urge you do some research to see what appeals to you most.

I'd suggest browsing the Ollech and Wajs models and the WCT models at WestCoastime.net (West Coast Time). They are decent quality dive watches, Swiss made, at about $300-$400. They also have a cool military history (the brand was popular with many who served in Vietnam).

I'd also suggest that in addition to browsing the sales forum on this site that you spend a little time on the "Poor Man's Watch Forum" (pmwf.com). As the name suggests, they focus on watches for those of us with a more limited budget, and the sales forum on there often has great deals in that department.

And as a final note, you mentioned that you're hoping to have a watch that will impress your friends at prom in a few months. I have to admit, high school is pretty far back in my past, but I'm guessing the kinds of watches that will impress your friends are unlikely to be the ones you can afford right now (in high school, I was impressed by "Rolex" and "Omega" and maybe "Tag Heuer" and that's it.) It might be easier to consider getting two watches: an inexpensive, but still cool-looking vintage watch for dressier occasions, and then a Casio G-shock model for diving, sports, etc. The vintage look and feel should make it a good conversation piece at prom and can be had for $50-$75 on the various watch sales boards, and a G-shock can be had for under $100 at your local Target or department store ...

Just my $0.02 ...

- Kent

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
I think the 007 is an awesome choice (I've never been a monster person, but admittedly a recent tuna convert). The 007 is timeless. Some of the monster color combos I question (ha ha). There are so many neat mods out there too, but stock is perfectly cool too.

If you could make a bit of a jump or maybe buy used, a GSAR or TSAR would be really nice.
Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I can't live without having one monster but the one SKX007 I had lasted about a week. Did nothing for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for all of the members who have replied to my post. I have a better idea of what i want to get.

Kent108, i like your comment, although i already have a G SHOCK, and was hoping thus i would most likely stick with a good, reliable Seiko (it will also be my first automatic)

Since i do not live in America, but in Hong Kong, i'll probably try and find a good sumo or an skx007K. However, i have also seen from websites that sell some seiko 5ers. Would this be in anyway similar or better than a sumo or skx007K? If i remember correctly, the skx007 series has only 21 jewels, which the 5ers series contain 23.

Here are some of the Seiko 5ers that i have found:
http://www.seiko5ers.com/SKZ255K SKZ255K1.htm

http://www.seiko5ers.com/SKZ231K1 SKZ231K Seiko5 Sports WR200m.htm

Thank You!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Generally speaking, Seiko 5 watches are entry level in quality and price. But the SKX255 is an ISO rated diver and is of similar quality to the SKX series. The SKZ231 is not an ISO dive watch, but it's still rated to 200m and is at the high end of the Seiko 5 range. Either one would be a great choice if you like the look. As for the movement, the 7s26 and 7s36 are practically identical & have the same performance. Here's an explanation of the extra jewels if you're interested: http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1108790043

None of these watches is on par with the Sumo, which is a cut above in overall fit & finish as well as having the superior 6r15 movement.

Since i do not live in America, but in Hong Kong, i'll probably try and find a good sumo or an skx007K. However, i have also seen from websites that sell some seiko 5ers. Would this be in anyway similar or better than a sumo or skx007K? If i remember correctly, the skx007 series has only 21 jewels, which the 5ers series contain 23.

Here are some of the Seiko 5ers that i have found:
http://www.seiko5ers.com/SKZ255K SKZ255K1.htm

http://www.seiko5ers.com/SKZ231K1 SKZ231K Seiko5 Sports WR200m.htm

Thank You!

·
Registered
156 Posts
...Since i do not live in America, but in Hong Kong....
If you're in HK, you should try getting in touch with Harold Ng, who goes by the handle "yobokies" on this and most other watch fora. His specialty is modified Seiko watches and parts, and quick forum or google search will turn up hordes of photos and near-universal praise. Not sure if he has a storefront or is stricly internet-only, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
If you're in HK, you should try getting in touch with Harold Ng, who goes by the handle "yobokies" on this and most other watch fora. His specialty is modified Seiko watches and parts, and quick forum or google search will turn up hordes of photos and near-universal praise. Not sure if he has a storefront or is stricly internet-only, but worth a shot.
Ya can't go wrong with Harold....tell him Steve in Miami sent you!|>

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
A starter car is one that goes.
A starter home is one that holds a roof over your head.

A starter watch is one that tells time.
Exactly.
Leaves out shake and hope Seikos..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts