WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it was time for a new watch and I had some amazon.com gift certificates to use up...

This year I switched into a technical Geography & environmental impact assessment program in university (w/business-econ minor) and I wanted to get a watch that would perfectly reflect that. I wanted a watch that looked very unique, and would be well suited for both special occassions but also suitable for casual clothing. I also happen to be on a tight budget.

I thought that in the spirit of geography I would end up with a watch with features such as a compass and a slide rule... or something like that. But instead I ended up going for the Citizen BR0011-02E. I love its unique look and how the different world cities are listed around the perimeter. I thought that despite the lack of compass, it still says geography.

The watch should arrive sometime next week so I don't have my own photos yet, but someone else on the forum already posted pics of theirs: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=87140

What do you think of the watch? And what other watches would you say reflect geography and my type of program?

Just curious! Thanks everyone!:-!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
How about the Earth Watch for only $594 on Amazon:

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I just suggested this for another person, a watch with a mile marker on it for maps...

Seiko SLT095, can be had for around $100, 10 year battery, High End Quartz with +/- 20 sec a year accuracy, nice bracelet and heft....

Pic property of eBay seller

Edit: I loved Geography in college, I should have taken more of it. I just went as high as "Advanced Cultural Geography" which was a 300 level class...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just suggested this for another person, a watch with a mile marker on it for maps...

Seiko SLT095, can be had for around $100, 10 year battery, High End Quartz with +/- 20 sec a year accuracy, nice bracelet and heft....

Pic property of eBay seller
Interesting watch.. wow that really does seem like it was made for a geographer! :-!

Edit: I loved Geography in college, I should have taken more of it. I just went as high as "Advanced Cultural Geography" which was a 300 level class...
Too bad! I'm finding it was the right choice for me to switch into Geography!
http://www.geography.uwaterloo.ca/

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
You should consider a Nike Oregon with Altimeter, thermometer, barometer and digital compass. Unlike most of the other analog "field" watches, the features on this thing actually work. For example the compass can be made to point to magnetic north or true north and actually used for navigation. The barometer and altimeter are dead accurate and can be calibrated. the thermometer gets a little confused by your body temperature, but can be calibrated to compensate for it. If you are going to be out on the field doing geographer type work, then this would be a good watch for you. You might want to consider a suunto as well, though those might end up a bit above your price point.

Here is the one I have:

Here is the Titanium version of the same watch:

And here is the red version of the aluminumn cased model that I have:

There are also two older versions which are all black polyurethane. The case is the same, but lacks the compass leveling bubble. One has a positive screen and the other has a negative one.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Seiko SKZ225(?)Atlas with compass ring and mile marker. Cost around $140-175, Auto, and neat looking. The Mile part lets you run the marker on a map and it gives the distance. I have one, don't wear it often as my others end up spending more time on my wrist. Will probably sell it soon but it looks cool as all get out! lol

paul

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts