WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll start!

The moon phase is one of my favorite complications, but it's quite a pain to manage if you don't wear the watch daily. For this reason I've been after a quartz-based moonphase. There are many watches that satisfy this requirement, except that I have zero-tolerance policy on Roman numerals, and a 1% tolerance policy on black dials. I'm also not especially smitten with pip or bar indices. If you look around, you'll see that bar and Roman indices dominate moon phase watches, because the moon phase complication most often appears on dress watches.

In the process of doing this research, I came across the lovely Ronda 706.B movement, which not only features quartz moonphase but also a pointer date. Well, I don't have a pointer date in my collection, and I'd very much like one of those too. It became an obsession to find the perfect watch based on the Ronda 706.B (well... pointer month). The Android Ambassador was quite close, but proved impossible to find and undesirable after I fell out of love with the typeface utilized on the indices.

After weeks and months of searching, I finally found the perfect watch to scratch the itch: the Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Hindenburg ref. 7036-1. Their site says it becomes available in October.

Let's hear it, guys: what design or feature is keeping you up at night on eBay?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Hard to say.
Several potentialities:
- Faceted sapphire crystal.
- hand-windable quartz (afaik only seiko's directdrive does that)
- Orthos (just gotta wait for it...)
- well-made 70's style watch (not used, not actually from 70s, not <$200)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Blowfish89: I saw the hand movement on the Seiko spring drive for the first time. Buttery. I was overtaken with great desire for its technical beauty and great disappointment that the movement isn't used in any watch I find attractive. Quite the piece of engineering. Are you leaning toward the Sinn or the Steinhart?

@X2-Elijah: Pics!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I really want a good solar GMT, but it seems I'm asking for too much. I might have to pick up a 007 and mod it to something like this:

That's the main itch. I also want a moonphase and a single hander, but those are far in the future, I haven't even looked into what's out there.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Primarily, I'm still searching for a watch with blue hands and a white, cream or silver dial. I'm definitely on a blue hands kick, but I don't like vintage styling (e.g. Sea-Gull.) Ideal would be a B&M Clifton, reality dictates it will more likely be a Parnis or similar.

I've got all my "needs" (emphasis on quote marks) covered now so I can be more patient. Still looking for:

- Tool/everyday chrono (have one that's "OK" but more "fashion-y", and one that's a little too dressy.)
- Big Date
- Automatic diver
- Sapphire crystal
- 3-6-9-12 watches, pilot/military style or diver (although I have 2 divers that fit the requirements.)
- Smoothly sweeping hands (probably Precisionist/Accutron II but I wouldn't mind if I won the lottery and got a Spring Drive ;-)
- "Made in Germany"
- I should probably get a "proper" formal watch eventually, but I feel no pressure anymore. I know I probably won't wear it much unless it also "dresses down."

I can probably cover multiple bases with a single watch, again, no rush.

And then more of the type of stuff I have now and like.

Reactions: chicolabronse

·
Vendor
27,170 Posts
I really want a good solar GMT, but it seems I'm asking for too much.
Nighthawk?

Using my mobile; please pardon the brevity of my reply, and any typos.

·
Vendor
27,170 Posts
Most of my itches would be too expensive to scratch.

I think I'd like a higher-end Seiko diver, like the MM 300.

I also wouldn't mind owning an Omega SMP with the vintage-style markers and sword hands.

About the only one I see happening is a Seiko mod. I'm somewhat procrastinating because I have no idea how to do the work myself (and don't have all the right tools), and I'm afraid I'd ruin the watch with my clumsiness. I'm also waiting to see if there's a next gen SKX coming with the upgraded 4r36 movement.

Using my mobile; please pardon the brevity of my reply, and any typos.

Reactions: Perdendosi

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Primarily, I'm still searching for a watch with blue hands and a white, cream or silver dial. I'm definitely on a blue hands kick, but I don't like vintage styling (e.g. Sea-Gull.) Ideal would be a B&M Clifton, reality dictates it will more likely be a Parnis or similar.

I've got all my "needs" (emphasis on quote marks) covered now so I can be more patient. Still looking for:

- Tool/everyday chrono (have one that's "OK" but more "fashion-y", and one that's a little too dressy.)
- Big Date
- Automatic diver
- Sapphire crystal
- 3-6-9-12 watches, pilot/military style or diver (although I have 2 divers that fit the requirements.)
- Smoothly sweeping hands (probably Precisionist/Accutron II but I wouldn't mind if I won the lottery and got a Spring Drive ;-)
- "Made in Germany"
- I should probably get a "proper" formal watch eventually, but I feel no pressure anymore. I know I probably won't wear it much unless it also "dresses down."

I can probably cover multiple bases with a single watch, again, no rush.

And then more of the type of stuff I have now and like.
I really like the Eterna KonTiki blue on white/cream, though it is out of my price range. The brown strap version is a grail for me. Gorgeous!

Also like my Orient Millennium for scratching that particular itch. Good choice if you can find one.

David

·
Registered
411 Posts
I really want a digital watch. One that I can bang around and not worry about.

I just can't dig the look of any G-Shock or Timex offerings.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
A solar, atomic sport watch on an excellent bracelet, appx 42mm, classy not macho, and without a busy dial, under $1k (or even over, can't find one at any price).

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I really like the Eterna KonTiki blue on white/cream, thiugh it is out of my price range. The brown strap version is a grail for me. Gorgeous!

Also like my Orient Millennium for scratching that particular itch. Good choice if you can find one.

David

I don't like to use the word "grail" lightly but if I made a list, that Kon-Tiki would be on it :-(

I go back and forth on the Millenium, which is probably best considering it's getting hard to find.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I really want a digital watch. One that I can bang around and not worry about.

I just can't dig the look of any G-Shock or Timex offerings.
I'd really like to see a legible negative LCD (or e-Paper?) where the numbers are bright white. I have that type of display in my car, but other than *maybe* the Pebble, I don't see anybody doing those. It's kind of pointless to wish over something you can't possibly make and the manufacturers won't supply. It's probably done through backlighting, but you can do that with an accelerometer nowadays...

·
Registered
347 Posts
GW-5000B.
Orient Milenium.

I'd really like to see a legible negative LCD (or e-Paper?) where the numbers are bright white. I have that type of display in my car, but other than *maybe* the Pebble, I don't see anybody doing those. It's kind of pointless to wish over something you can't possibly make and the manufacturers won't supply. It's probably done through backlighting, but you can do that with an accelerometer nowadays...
It is done with backlighting. In a car it has a constant power source. Watches would burn through batteries too fast to maintain a constant backlight. Maybe if it had an onboard diesel generator....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Bullhead chronograph with orange hands and preferably panda dial

But I don't want to have to service a vintage one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MEzz

·
Vendor
27,170 Posts
A bit too cluttered. I would really like to be able to see both time zones at a glance and the Nighthawk has too much going for it. I also like 12 hour bezels but not too many options for that either...Other suggestions?
No.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts