WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to you... but if you were recommending a watch to the average Joe what do you think is a reasonable number for a non-WIS buyer.

In my hypothetical scenaro, a friend comes to you and wants a suggestion for a good quality affordable. Without scaring them with a high number or pointing them at a stinker what do you think a reasonable watch is valued at in the eyes of the general public?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
To me, the cost for an affordable watch for Joe Q Public would be anything <$500. I could perhaps be convinced to go a little higher, but $500 is a lot of money for most people, particularly for something most people don't need or really care about.

A more accurate assessment would probably to go over to the Fossil site and determine the average price---that would be the answer.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I've been asked variations of this question many times. I've stopped answering it without getting more guidance first, specifically saying, "depends on what you think is affordable."
Then I also say something like, "I can recommend an decent affordable quartz for $75, an affordable decent quality mechanical for $400, something with a bit more cache for $1000, or something with a lot more cache for $5000."
Then you get a pretty good idea what pool they want to play in.

Until recently I think the ave non-WIS was surprised at watches over $300 (that aren't Rolexes). Surprisingly I think the Apple Watch has increased the "reasonable price" for a watch in many peeps' minds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a single friend, he does ok with very few expenses. He owns a duplex, which he lives in and rents out the other side. He drives a nicely equipped, late model Japanese car and plays golf about 2x a month. He has no problem dropping $180 on a pair of shoes, $1400 on a set of golf clubs and going out on $175 dinner dates a couple times a month. He recently asked for a recommendation for a "nicer" watch besides his work gshock to wear out...he thought my suggestion of a $500 budget was ridiculous. After a little education, and watch shopping, he realized that this was what he should spend for a "good quality affordable watch", 6 months and he still can't bring himself to do it though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good question, I've had friends with absolutely no interest in watches and who don't wear one. To them even something in the neighborhood of 50 bux seems wasteful. Because they see no added value.

But, I also know people who think wristgear is something to complete one's "look". To them it's something of an accessory. They are willing to shell out a couple hundred bux for something that "looks good" on them. This is where Daniel Wellington, mvmt and other brands make their buck.

So category 1 can never be convinced to shell out even 100 bux for a watch unless one is gifted to them.

But category 2 can be persuaded to stretch upto 300 USD I find. You can also talk them into buying a "legit" watch provided they are convinced it looks good on them.

I am discounting tech nerds who are happy to foot 500 USD for an apple watch or 300 for a Galaxy gear. They are also a hard if not impossible candidate to persuade to buy an actual watch(in the traditional sense).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
I have a single friend, he does ok with very few expenses. He owns a duplex, which he lives in and rents out the other side. He drives a nicely equipped, late model Japanese car and plays golf about 2x a month. He has no problem dropping $180 on a pair of shoes, $1400 on a set of golf clubs and going out on $175 dinner dates a couple times a month. He recently asked for a recommendation for a "nicer" watch besides his work gshock to wear out...he thought my suggestion of a $500 budget was ridiculous. After a little education, and watch shopping, he realized that this was what he should spend for a "good quality affordable watch", 6 months and he still can't bring himself to do it though.
I've had a similar experience. A friend came to me wanting to buy a Christmas present for his partner. She's a therapist and uses a watch to time sessions - anything with an alarm would be rude so she relies on glancing down at the minute hand. She's gone through a handful of cheap fashion watches that invariably break after a few months/years. This is a dual income, professional couple with a very nice home in LA worth low seven figures. They're comfortable...

When I mentioned he could get something solid for roughly $500, he looked at me like I was nuts. I tried explaining that a decent bracelet costs upwards of $200 on its own and he couldn't wrap his head around it. I gave up after a few conversations.

When speaking to a non-WIS who's looking for a watch, I consider anything under $500 affordable. For people who collect or know a little about watches, I stretch that to $1250 or so.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Every time these threads come up and it is often, I say, "What are you willing to spend?". What I can "afford" and what "I'm willing to spend" on many items could be worlds apart.
To me that is the real question.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Not to you... but if you were recommending a watch to the average Joe what do you think is a reasonable number for a non-WIS buyer.

In my hypothetical scenaro, a friend comes to you and wants a suggestion for a good quality affordable. Without scaring them with a high number or pointing them at a stinker what do you think a reasonable watch is valued at in the eyes of the general public?
Without any further information, and assuming we are is a country with high living standards, I would say USD/EUR 200-300 are generally accepted as a reasonable price for a good but affordable watch. That's about 10% of an average monthly income and won't break the bank for most people.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
As others have said, it ultimately depends on their disposable income and their willingness to spend their hard earned money on things they don't really understand (by the definition here), and which most people don't really need.

In my experience, most ordinary folk would think more than about £200 on a watch is a lot. They would think we were all bonkers if they knew how much time we spend on here talking about them, and how much money many of us spend on them.

But whadda they know, eh ;-)

Here's a watch, because every thread needs pictures:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Something I could buy more or less on a whim, without having to establish a special fund for its acquisition

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I would think the Avg. Joe would say something like $50 up to $200. Most people could care less about watches. If they buy one at all it's more about the look than anything else.

Reactions: Rosarito

·
Registered
Bremont supermarine s300 white
1,345 Posts
200 is pretty affordable and gets a decent citizen or seiko or even orient. Most of the time non watch people care more about the look of a watch.

Watch people like those on this forum know that once we cross the 1000 plus mark of watches it is hard to turn back as we know more such as materials used, movement, brand history, etc.

To end the argument, I tell friends and family to save up for Rolex and be done with watches forever. "I can't afford Rolex!" Well a seiko diver is close enough in looks but a 10th the price.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
You're asking it backwards. The first things I'd ask my friend would be 'What do you want to spend?', 'How often would you be wearing it?' and 'How hard are you on your watches?'. Maybe then: 'Are you married?' :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Before I got into watches, I thought $50.00 was a splurge. Most of the watch-wearers I know will spend more for a watch that does more than tell time (smart watch) or that is particularly colorful. The wealthy ones wear Timex, and some of the others think Bulova is right up there with Rolex. This is kind of like going to a Porsche forum to ask about a good value car for a new driver: you get a lot of recommendations for a Boxster or used 911, and probably none for a Ford Fiesta.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts