WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which combination below corresponds to the most and least expensive watches?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1,3 and 3,7

• 1,4 and 4,5

• 1,7 and 2,7

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 2,5 and 1,5

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 2,6 and 1,6

• 4,7 and 2,7

• 3,7 and 1,3

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 5,7 and 3,5

• 6,7 and 2,3

Votes: 4 13.8%

• 2,3 and 2,7

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • All are roughly the same price

• With no brand name, there's no way to tel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the watches watches below is the least and most expensive?

In the poll above, you will see combinations of numbers. Those combinations refer to the sequence in which the watches are presented. For example 1, 4 corresponds to watches one and four. If you choose that combo, you are indicating that you believe the least and most expensive watches are watch one and watch four. Your answer will be correct provided there is no other watch that is more expensive than the most expensive one in your combo and there is also no watch less expensive than the least expensive watch in your combo.

Here are some hints.

• 3 of them are quartz
  • 1 of them would be very difficult to purchase today
  • at least 2 have in-house movements
  • at least half of them are stainless steel or stainless steel with gold plating
  • all are pictures of authentic watches; none is a pic of a fake
  • I removed the brand name indicators using a photo editor
  • two of the watches are from the same brand
  • The overall price range is between $5 and $25,000 (USD)
  • The average price of all the watches is $5,500
I'll provide answers after there are enough guesses for it to be interesting. Good luck, have fun and happy horology.

All the best.

Attachments

Reactions: watchma

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
1 and 7 look to be the same watch. Looks to be pretty high quality. Higher price, but less than 6 doh! edits 5.
2 doesn't really have enough detail to tell, might be real, but might be a economical quartz designer watch. Low price is my guess.
3, hmm hard to tell, but although nothing looks really off, the date window looks out of place, but then again, I hate intrusive date windows. Mid price range is my guess.
4 looks like a well made watch, the asymmetrical pushers are unusual. Probably not an in house movement though. Mid-high price.
5 looks like the real deal to me, the case and crown detailing look expensive to make and maintain. High price.
6 looks like a POS copy to me. Either this or 2 is the $5 watch

Or I could be completely wrong about all the watches. Wouldn't be the first time. Heck some AP ROO which are well into 5 figures look like 3 figure department store watches to me :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't see the word "swiss" on number 2, 4 or 5. I would say 2 is the $5 watch and maybe 4 or 5 are knock offs. 6 looks a bit cheap but could be an older collectors watch.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
1 and 7 are the same watch, the dial actually changes on the Revelation R03 Chronographe RS MSRP 12,900 CHF
2 is a Titan , around 50 CHF
3 is a Guess Collection SlimClass Black Dial around $227 USD
4 is a CT Scuderia around $1200 I suppose
5 is a Peter Speake Martin Spirit 2 around $9980
6 is a badly taken photo of a Patek Calatrava around $23,000 I would suppose.

Therefore the answer should be 2,6 :-!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Tony, you spend too much time on thinking watches and things that you can find a way relating to watches.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
If you don't know the watch, and the brand name is removed then it's very hard to tell how much it's worth.
I think that's the point of this exercise.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think that's the point of this exercise.
At the same time though, I don't find that it really means anything. Of course if we could see these watches in person (with sterile dials), we would be able to tell which ones were high quality and which ones weren't. The ability to tell whether or not a watch is expensive by its stock photo is a pretty futile exercise IMO.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
#5 it's a Speak-Marin Spirit Mark 2 @ around 10000$
1 and 7 are the same watch, the Revelation R03 Chronograph RS @ around 13.000 swiss francs
I won't just yet say whether you are right or wrong, but I will say that inasmuch as you are I don't think you get the spirit of the challenge. Do/did you cheat at games of chance or perhaps on school assignments/tests?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If you don't know the watch, and the brand name is removed then it's very hard to tell how much it's worth.

At the same time though, I don't find that it really means anything. Of course if we could see these watches in person (with sterile dials), we would be able to tell which ones were high quality and which ones weren't. The ability to tell whether or not a watch is expensive by its stock photo is a pretty futile exercise IMO.
I agree that not being able to handle the watch is a significant shortcoming of trying this exercise on the WWW.

That said at least some folks have made a good faith effort to deduce based on the available visual cues and that is part of it too. And I did leave in enough visual cues that folks who know what to look for -- regardless of whether they know the watch brand or not -- would/could use to make a reasoned guess at the answer. FWIW, the few folks who embraced the spirit of the exercise took the right approach. I'm not yet saying if they are right or wrong, but I can tell by their deductive process -- and their willingness to enjoin it -- that they have passion for their hobby.

I think one or two folks posited that one or another watch is a fake. I don't know why they said that because I already indicated in the hints that there are no fake watches pictured. I know from the get go the difficulty of figuring it out without being able to touch, feel, taste and listen to the watches, and I wouldn't lie in my hints, or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hmm, I couldn't see the polling options on the app I was using before. I don't understand the polling options now that I do see them.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
All I'm saying is that unless it's an obviously inexpensive piece with a day night indicator masquerading as a moonphase or 2 24 hour subdials on a chrono etc if I don't know the model then all things being equal I just cannot deduce its MSRP. Especially 2 handers with non-applied indeces like the calatrava vs say a Visodate with applied indeces and beveled hands.

I'm not even sure that handling them would shed much light.

Maybe that's your point.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Trying not to look down the thread list for answers...
1&7 look to be the same brand, with the same markings, and the same case. The Skeleton movement on no. 7 looks interesting-- I would call it not particularly finely finished, but it is a "Swiss made" skeleton, which gets a premium price. Seems like some nice details with the extending hour markers, etc. Hard to tell finish from these flat pics. But, since they're both pretty much the same, I'm going to say neither is the most expensive. Even though I don't like notched bracelets and straps, I'm diggin those lugs.

2 doesn't impress me at all. It's either a $20,00 gold cased piece of jewelry or a $50 gold plated piece of jewelry. I'm headed for the latter.

3 looks nice, and is "swiss made." Weird date indicator. My guess is, with the lack of a second hand, quartz. But nicer than No. 2. It is sold at Jomashop, though. So maybe it is something nicer than I think.

4 has a 40 hour power reserve. I'm guessing this is something exotic and quite expensive.

5 I cheated, and discovered it's a $10K watch. Of course, looking at the picture now, I can see it.

6, I bet, is the one that's "hard to buy now." But since I've only found two other watches that are quartz, this one is probably no. 3. The gold on the case looks rubbed off at 1:30, but that could just be this bad pic. This could be the $25K watch.

So my answer would be 4 & 2, but that's not up on the board.
I don't understand the "pairs" of answers (4,7 and 2,7). So I guess we have to look again at the possible answers.

It's not 1,2

1,3 and 3,7 could be the right answer -- 1 and 7 are made by the same people, and are both swiss mechanical chronographs. 3 could be a cheap quartz watch.

1,4 and 4,5 doesn't work, because 1 and 7 have to be within the same range.

1,7 and 2,7 doesn't make any sense, because that implies that two watches from the same manufacturer are $5 and $25,000.

2,6 A possibility

2,5 and 1,5 not likely since I know 5 is $10K and you can't have a pair without 1 and 7 in it.

2,6 and 1,6 Nope.

4,7 and 2,7 again, the 7 without 1 problem. Here it's a little different because the skeleton watch could be more expensive than the non. But that would be me believeing that 4 is a cheapie, and I don't believe that.

3,4 A very good possibility, though I find it hard to believe that 3 is $5. $50? Yes. But $5? Probably not.

3,7 and 1,3 -- 1 and 7 are the same (about) and 3 is cheap. Still have the problem with 3 being $5, since it says "swiss made" though.

4,6 another possibility.

5,7 and 3,5, nope... can't have 7 here without 1.

2,7 a possibilty, as 2 looks the most like a $5 watch to me, and 7 could just inch out 1.

4,5 Nope, since I know 5 costs about $10k. Even if I didn't, I would guess than 4 is expensive, and 5 is worth more than $5.

6,7 and 2,3 don't get these combos. 2-3 i think are both on the cheap end.

3,7 meh. 3 just doesn't look like a $5 watch.

2,3 and 2,7. I like 2,7, but then 2,3 doesnt' work.

3,6 Nope.

So I think 2 is the $5, so I'm gonna have to vote 2,7.

I'm happy that I did as well as I did, after reading the rest of the threads. I think showing a beat up Calatrava isn't super fair--how were we to know that those imperfections were due to age and not to low quality? Nothing else here was a used watch, was it?
I think my logic that the skeletonized version of the Revelation being a bit more than the nonskeletonized was pretty sound.

Now, I guess the OP hasn't given us the "final answer" yet, but I still feel good about my decisions.

Reactions: tony20009
1 - 20 of 33 Posts