WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
241 - 260 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
It has baby shark teeth like the monster. My reservation: It looks better close up than at wrist distance, where it looks rather plain. Need more photos.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ughhh!!! It comes up and no funds for a watch budget. Been waiting on this one for a long time. Damn!!!

·
Vendor
28,733 Posts
Ughhh!!! It comes up and no funds for a watch budget. Been waiting on this one for a long time. Damn!!!
Have you thought about doing some sort of fund-raiser?

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's a beautiful watch. Unique hands and overall the finishing looks excellent, and I like the attention to details. Did not realize that it will come with a bracelet so that's a bonus! Compared to another 44mm that I have, it definitely wears smaller because of the curve lugs. Of course it cannot compare to a 40mm but it does have presence and I do like the design IMHO. Locked in my order. Looking forward.

·
Vendor
28,733 Posts
Not just the curved lugs, also the downward curving bezel.
I actually think it's more than just the lugs and the bezel, although they both contribute to the perception of size.

It really is a great case shape generally, but there's also something specific Jason did in the design, which, when combined with the case shape, really make it a winner. It's hard to describe it in words, and even hard to appreciate in most pics that aren't from the perspective of the lugs. I did a Google image search, and these are the best images I could find to describe what I felt and saw in the prototype:

The Delfin has a great cross-section. Its shape is like a shallow bowl, slightly smaller at bottom than at top, with gently curving sides. I think that's somewhat uncommon. Most cases have either straight case walls, or walls that gently bow out, but their top and bottom edges are usually aligned. The Delfin's don't seem to be.

The added detail is the way the bottom edge of the bezel aligns with the top edge of the case, almost like the lid on a plastic bowl. The bezel is easy enough to grip and turn because of its texture and the amount of tension in it, but there isn't any substantial overhang between it and the case walls. Together they form a single shape. It's a burger bun, vs. two pieces of bread.

As a designer, I'm kind of jealous. It may not seem very radical, because it's subtle, but I really think it's a great design, very creative. And I suspect that the shape and the way the bezel and case join add to the effect of the Delfin wearing a little small for its dimensions. If the top and bottom surfaces were the same, and the bezel overhung the case walls, it would feel larger, I believe.

Of course, it is a diver, and I read somewhere that it was meant to be more of a tool diver than the Tropik, but I see other stuff in it. The bezel reminds me of the coin edge bezel on some pilot or field watches. Together with the rounded sides and rather flat top, it somewhat reminds me of an off-road tire, or the wheels on a lunar rover.

Anyway, my hat's off to Jason. As I said elsewhere, I got to meet him in Hong Kong, and he seems like a good dude. I'm not here to shill for him. He's my competitor, and I want your money, too. But I like to appreciate the little things that go into making for a good design, and I think this one's really great. I'm sure everyone who gets one will be quite happy with it.

Good luck with the new watch, those of you who are ordering one.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I actually think it's more than just the lugs and the bezel, although they both contribute to the perception of size.

It really is a great case shape generally, but there's also something specific Jason did in the design, which, when combined with the case shape, really make it a winner. It's hard to describe it in words, and even hard to appreciate in most pics that aren't from the perspective of the lugs. I did a Google image search, and these are the best images I could find to describe what I felt and saw in the prototype:

The Delfin has a great cross-section. Its shape is like a shallow bowl, slightly smaller at bottom than at top, with gently curving sides. I think that's somewhat uncommon. Most cases have either straight case walls, or walls that gently bow out, but their top and bottom edges are usually aligned. The Delfin's don't seem to be.

The added detail is the way the bottom edge of the bezel aligns with the top edge of the case, almost like the lid on a plastic bowl. The bezel is easy enough to grip and turn because of its texture and the amount of tension in it, but there isn't any substantial overhang between it and the case walls. Together they form a single shape. It's a burger bun, vs. two pieces of bread.

As a designer, I'm kind of jealous. It may not seem very radical, because it's subtle, but I really think it's a great design, very creative. And I suspect that the shape and the way the bezel and case join add to the effect of the Delfin wearing a little small for its dimensions. If the top and bottom surfaces were the same, and the bezel overhung the case walls, it would feel larger, I believe.

Of course, it is a diver, and I read somewhere that it was meant to be more of a tool diver than the Tropik, but I see other stuff in it. The bezel reminds me of the coin edge bezel on some pilot or field watches. Together with the rounded sides and rather flat top, it somewhat reminds me of an off-road tire, or the wheels on a lunar rover.

Anyway, my hat's off to Jason. As I said elsewhere, I got to meet him in Hong Kong, and he seems like a good dude. I'm not here to shill for him. He's my competitor, and I want your money, too. But I like to appreciate the little things that go into making for a good design, and I think this one's really great. I'm sure everyone who gets one will be quite happy with it.

Congratulations on walking that thin line between promotion and objectivity.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
I think the larger brands refer to this aspect as "understated elegance". And, I think in this case the Delfin plays this card quite well. Sort of has a slight Omega Aqua Terra-ish vibe (minus the braod arrow minute hand) on the hands without really being an homage to it. It has its own personality.

And, in the line of observation concerning the dial and dial markers.... the AT does have larger index markers.

And, I agree that these small considerations are purely a matter of choice for each person considering this piece or critiquing this new piece. And, to some, considerations which may or may not provide fuel for a purchase or no purchase decision. So, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for sure.

This piece is definitely not an "in your face" kind of watch. But, I do like the lines and curves. Sort of sexy looking to me.

But, i agree, we need to see more pices and imagine that will definitely happen when this piece starts to ship. I do not know how many Jason has produced but imagine it will follow other Halios pieces and sell out in a modest amount of time.

I reserved mine so I guess that shows what I think of this one. Love it!

It has baby shark teeth like the monster. My reservation: It looks better close up than at wrist distance, where it looks rather plain. Need more photos.

·
Registered
816 Posts

I cant decide if Ernie or Jason should be paying you but your input in this instance and on WUS in general is top notch. Kudos.

On another note, I kinda dug all the pictures with the nice leather straps. Since the watch is shipping on a bracelet does anyone have any brown leather strap suggestions for the Delfin? I have no 22 in leather straps hanging around.

·
Registered
15,434 Posts
Ordered.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have been waiting for this watch to come up for about 6 months. When I first saw it, I wasn't a big fan of the design, especially the hands. But I went back and looked at it again after a month and I realized that it had grown substantially on me. Now, 6 months later, I cannot wait to get my hands on it (or it on my hands!). That is why this watch was not a hard decision to pull the trigger on-because there was a point where I didn't give it a second look, but it came around and snuck up on me, and now I'm smitten. I am certain the Delfin will be a permanent presence in my collection for a long time. Can't wait for October!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, the day has finally come to order it...and I just can't pull the trigger. I think it's a combination of several factors for me. I LOVE the case design. So, so slick. The dial design is fine with me as well, though not as mesmerizing as the case. That...and I just have so many black dial divers. I need a different flavor. Also, the size is a slight concern. I'm wearing a 42.5mm right now, and it feel like it's my upper limit. But then the shorter lug-to-lug of 49mm tells that it would work out fine on my wrist. And then there's the Japanese vs. Swiss movement debate.

It's a really difficult decision. If it were priced $100 less, I might just go for it. But as it is now, it's at the upper limit of my comfort zone without having first tried it on/seen it in the wild. I'll probably hold off until reviews/photos start popping up on the forum after Jason starts shipping in October.

I will say, though, that if there were a white-dial version, with black hands/index borders and keep the black bezel, I would jump in no questions asked. So I may also hold off and hope for a white version (I realize that it may never come), rather than buy a watch that I'm not 100% sold on.

As for Halios: Carry on, Jason. You're doing a great job and your designs are super-slick! If it's not this one, I'm sure that one of your future designs will hit all the right notes for me and I'll be a happy Halios owner before it's all said and done. I've owned the Laguna and since flipped it because it was too much watch for my wrist, but I came away with a fantastic impression of the quality of Halios (much better than any other micro I've owned thus far, which I think is a testament to Jason's QC).

·
Vendor
28,733 Posts
I cant decide if Ernie or Jason should be paying you...
Why not both?

Using my mobile; please pardon the brevity of my reply, and any typos.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Been following this watch for a while and I think I am going to jump on one. I love the look of that dark brown leather, but given a choice I would pick the bracelet because it's so easy to get a good aftermarket strap. I wish it came with both, though...

241 - 260 of 487 Posts