WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realizing some watches are easy/inexpensive to find in some markets and non-existent in others making for surprising choices of watches that you are curious about but have never seen in person.

Yet aren't important enough for you to hunt for (not a grail).

A couple of recent ones for me being a G8000 which literally fell in my lap recently (Sedi is a big backer of these)

uploadfromtaptalk1380847531495.jpg

And I just purchased a couple G8100's though they have not arrived yet

uploadfromtaptalk1380847586898.jpg

Not saying any of these are the best watches on the planet, but good enough to raise your curiousity about them to consider one.

What's on your list of "G-Shocks to check out?"

sent with aloha

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
GD-350 for me. I am intrigued by the vibrating alarm feature and its legible display.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
1/ jason

2/ silencer

i always wanted to do a drop test (10 stories high) between a GA-110 vs. old G-lide, just to LOL at Casio's claim of toughness. I don't think those Xlarge analog are that tough

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Was pleasantly surprised these well-equipped versions of the 2310 were readily available new at reasonable prices.
Had to scoop them up even though I wasn't really looking for them.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
The G-2900 was lower on my list... to the point where I'd forgotten about it for a long while. A lucky coincidence of thinking about it then searching shortly afterward turned up a candidate, which I ended up getting. Very glad I got it. Great value watch in many respects. But visually... yeah, a bit bland. It's a workhorse, yet not an ugly one at that. And seriously accurate (now that it has settled in my abode, it's aiming for just barely +1 sec/mo), which is a major plus.

Casio_G-2900-wrist1.jpg

I had a few others on my list, including the G-8000. But I'm in a reduction mode now, so they'll probably not make it into my hands. My intention is to sell off a bunch to pay for a Rangeman once a good deal pops up, perhaps around the holidays or shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have wanted to pick up a stealthy black Jason as well as the DW-6900 for some time but I have been pulling the trigger lately on new releases (GD-X6900s, GW-A1100). Since they seem to both have stable prices and at least in the case of the DW-6900, are very common, I have put off picking them up. Right now, I am in a holding pattern. I would like to add some more G's to my collection, but I really need a new phone and laptop. Apple just needs to release Mavericks and the unlocked 5S and then I will be set.

Reactions: Chrisek

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
As Wojo pointed out, things move up and down the list depending on what else presents itself. At one point, the GW-5000B was at the top of my list. As I have the regular one, I find it hard to justify the additional cost so it's gradually moved down the list. I'm sure I'll get one one day but at the moment it sits further down the list than I ever expected.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Just realizing some watches are easy/inexpensive to find in some markets and non-existent in others making for surprising choices of watches that you are curious about but have never seen in person.

Yet aren't important enough for you to hunt for (not a grail).

A couple of recent ones for me being a G8000 which literally fell in my lap recently (Sedi is a big backer of these)

View attachment 1240462

sent with aloha
A great, underrated G-shock the G-8000 series is. I got the same model as you and despite the graphics, it has one of the most legible, high contrast Casio displays I've seen to date. It also houses one of the top five modules ever made in my opinion. What totally sucks are the button protectors which will allow button use only with fingernails. Try to find the light button in the middle of the night - good luck. I got rid of that problem by removing the entire cover plate on the left and right side and cut(!) away the parts covering the buttons. Once this is done, the buttons stick out fairly enough to make them accessable even with gloves. Small and easy mod, but it make a great G-shock even better, it's just a shame that Casio allows such a less-than-suboptimal design on a tool watch by default.

cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
Was pleasantly surprised these well-equipped versions of the 2310 were readily available new at reasonable prices.
Had to scoop them up even though I wasn't really looking for them.
Those were way down on my list, but had been getting higher on it with the lower prices. I finally found a green one and picked it up. Hasn't come in yet, but I am looking forward to it!!

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
G-7800 - my first G ever.
Sold it and now regret.
Maybe it is time to come back to this model?
I suggest getting one soon. I periodically check eBay to see how many of these are being sold. Last year, they were pretty plentiful. You could pick up a new-in-box G-7800 for about $94 easily, and used ones for about $50-$60. Now they are turning up much less often. And the all black G-7800B is more scarce as well. Luckily the bidding intensity on this model is still not all that strong, so if a used but good condition one appears you're likely to still get it for what the market prices were a year or so ago. It's a very quirky G-Shock. While it's not as "daring" as a Jason, it's different enough to have it's own unique appearance and functionality. I was tempted to let my positive display version go and just keep the all negative, but I decided against it. I'm convinced that these will be sought after someday, especially with a blemish free bezel. The exposed metal can get scratched up if this is worn in rugged situations or as a daily wearer. So if you take care of it and keep the bezel mostly scratch free, it'll hold a better resale value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts