WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Whats more important?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question but whats more important?

The movement in a watch or The name on the dial?

I think the movement is more important then the name, Why do I believe this well its simple really. You can buy some ugly looking watches with the some of the weirdest names that have some of the best movements around.

What are some of your thoughts?

·
Registered
654 Posts

I think the movement is more important then the name, Why do I believe this well its simple really. You can buy some ugly looking watches with the some of the weirdest names that have some of the best movements around.

FYI you have just brought in a third angle which isnt in your poll - you mention looks - so it should be, is it movement, looks or name which are important, or, you should reword your last sentence:-d

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Heck, I wouldn't buy an ugly watch with an excellent movement, any more than I would buy a beautiful watch with a lousy movement.

It's like asking which is more important, her looks or her brains.

I require both. :)

And I care about the name on the watch only to the extent that I want to have some sense that the watch is well built, for the price.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I care about the name on the dial so long as it isn't Seiko in a watch that costs over 1k.
:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d
I kid, I kid... somewhat. Aesthetics is the main thing which attracts me to a watch, and I'm gonna guess that's true for most buyers... hence the popularity of fashion watches and fakes/ homages.
For the WIS, movement, and extended to function, can sometimes take precedence over aesthetics, if the movement or function is particularly good. I'm thinking that the most obvious example is a G-Shock. Uglier than sin, but cheap, durable, and with a whole host of features.
I'm mostly with Spider in that brand name is a helpful indicator on how well the watch is built. For example, I would buy a Citizen which I knew nothing about and feel comfortable doing it, whereas I would be hesitant to do the same with Invicta, where I would stick to models that have been established as reliable.
Personally, I also buy brand based on the perception and memories I have of them. For example, I can never separate my idea of Seiko from the idea of the Orange Monster, a durable and inexpensive but unorthodox/ ugly (depending on whom you ask) and overhyped diver (seems that every tough guy on gun/ knife forums got an Orange Monster.) So I look at an MM, or a GS, or an SD. I know that they are all excellent watches, but whenever I see the word Seiko on the dial, I think of that $200 Orange Monster that all the "tough guys" wear, and I'd be left thinking I overpaid for something overhyped.
It's similar with other products, not just watches. I have a hard time buying the excellent knives put out by Spyderco because of some negative experience I had with Spyderco fans.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well for me its abit of both, a good movement is critical, but it needs to match my style. For me that means no more quartz, and normally no really bright colors/gold.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A weird or unfamiliar name doesn't have to equal bad design. In this case, out of these options, I picked movement. I like getting a good movement in a good quality (and good looking, to me) case without paying extra for the name. But if the watch doesn't suit me, neither name nor movement matter.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i go with the name mostly,

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
didn't vote as your answer selection was too limited.

the most important thing that i consider when think about a possible purchase (beyond the obvious first consideration that you like the watch based on its looks) is the overall quality (it's not just solely about the movement) and whether the price that you're paying to get that quality is a reasonable one.

i don't focus exclusively on the name on the dial or the movement and that's probably why i have such a diverse collection of pieces.

watches can be enjoyed on many levels and to fixate on just one or two aspects is too limiting for me. it's like saying you will only eat one or two dishes or on one particular type of cusine the rest of your life.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts

I say you are leaving many variables and alone I don't think any is the single most important determining factor. As I see it what is most important is the sum of the parts as they exist in the final product.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Looks can be somewhat deceiving~I'd go with the brand first and then the movement inside if I happen to like a particular movement, cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love to see and appreciate the movement inside. So I would say that movement comes first for me, then dial, then overall looks, the name comes dead last for me!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the movement is more important to me, but there are other factors as well. I am more attracted to the watch itself, it has to look good. If it has a good reliable movement, but bad design I won't like it. As far as the name goes, its not really that big of a deal the quality is more important.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
There are a couple of exceptions in my collection but on the whole the movement is the most important thing to me. I love the diversity of movements in my collection, from HEQ, accutron, hybrid mechanical eco drive, minute repeater eco drive.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,720 Posts

Neither of the above are individually most important. A watch bought mostly for the name or the movement would get boring very quickly.

The movement along with the case, bracelet, dial,, finishing, attention to detail, name one the dial and price all come together to form a package. My decision to buy is based on how the many components work together as a package. I can't imagine buying a watch simply for the movement.... :-s

1 - 20 of 31 Posts