WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple has been making additional health-related hires in recent months, possibly to accelerate work on a next-generation device.
In 2017 or later, Apple may be planning to switch to micro-LED displays for the Apple Watch. Micro-LED displays can be thinner and lighter with improved color gamut, increased brightness, and higher resolutions.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
If this is true about health professionals, it will be about what's on the case back, not the display...

·
Registered
5,050 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Yah, I think the 2 efforts are distinct. The health stuff looks to be about biosensors that can be worn (and run) for extended periods. If they can get the micro LED tech to work, they'll use that EVERYWHERE it's practical to do so...but that said, the small screen size of a wrist device might be the best place to start commercial-level production, and of course, it's where low power consumption is most critical.

Browsing the net, I saw the 2017 rumor, but I also saw another post questioning it...because apparently the iPhone is going to shift to OLED at around that time. I suppose it could be as I mentioned...perfect the manufacturing staying with the small form factor, which is the easiest. Still...if they're gonna roll out OLED, they need major fabrication facilities to support the full-out iPhone production.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love the promise of mLEDs—thinner and lighter and brighter and more energy efficient. But, as much as I want a thinner watch—I dream of an 8mm AW—I’m gonna be realistic that any gains in energy efficiency and thinness made by the screen will be gobbled up by any new sensors if Apple decides to add any more.

That said, instead of 38mm and 42mm, if the watches were 40mm and 45mm would that offer more wiggle room for Apple to add stuff to the AW? (IIRC, most women are buying the 42mm anyways; only people with the thinnest wrists are buying the 38mm.)

Hopefully a press conference announcing their blunder and ceasing production.
Apple is a one trick pony almost all there money comes from iphones.
Apple doesn’t release sales figures for the Apple Watch but, IDC estimates for fiscal Q3 are at 1.6M units sold, and from that Macworld estimates a USD $478M revenue. I wish my least popular product sold so poorly. I wish my least popular product sold more in one quarter than my most popular product in its first year. *shrugs*

(Maybe not the least popular product, but the AW is in the “Other” category—the category with the least revenue. Part of it may be to hide low sales figures. Part of it might be to hide higher than expected sales figures. Who knows.)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
...and before that, the iTunes store;
...and before that, iPods
...and before that, iMac and iBooks
...and before that, the Macintosh
...and before that, the Apple II

4505468978_5bc43b17f1_o.png

Who says the Apple Watch is not their next revenue leader?

·
Registered
38,549 Posts
That "watch" is gonna fill up a lot of junk drawers.
I love the promise of mLEDs—thinner and lighter and brighter and more energy efficient. But, as much as I want a thinner watch—I dream of an 8mm AW—I’m gonna be realistic that any gains in energy efficiency and thinness made by the screen will be gobbled up by any new sensors if Apple decides to add any more.

That said, instead of 38mm and 42mm, if the watches were 40mm and 45mm would that offer more wiggle room for Apple to add stuff to the AW? (IIRC, most women are buying the 42mm anyways; only people with the thinnest wrists are buying the 38mm.)

Apple doesn’t release sales figures for the Apple Watch but, IDC estimates for fiscal Q3 are at 1.6M units sold, and from that Macworld estimates a USD $478M revenue. I wish my least popular product sold so poorly. I wish my least popular product sold more in one quarter than my most popular product in its first year. *shrugs*

(Maybe not the least popular product, but the AW is in the “Other” category—the category with the least revenue. Part of it may be to hide low sales figures. Part of it might be to hide higher than expected sales figures. Who knows.)

·
Registered
733 Posts
...and before that, the iTunes store;
...and before that, iPods
...and before that, iMac and iBooks
...and before that, the Macintosh
...and before that, the Apple II

View attachment 8911666

(iBooks? That’s been around since only 2010. Do you mean MacBooks?)

As for the iPod, once it got cell phone capabilities and got rebranded as the iPhone, it should’ve been game over for the iPod. I’m surprised it’s stayed on this long after the iPhone launch.

But if you look at that list of products, it basically reads like a list of the evolution of computing for the past half century. Conventional wisdom is that Apple’s recent successes have come from its willingness to let new products cannibalize sales of old products—something that many companies are reluctant to do. Apparently, it’s better for a new Apple product to cannibalize the sales of an old Apple product—better Apple than another company.

That "watch" is gonna fill up a lot of junk drawers.
Six months after launch, Wristly found that the AW had a 97% satisfaction rate. Last month, JD Power found that smartwatches have good satisfaction rates, AW included.

AW: 852/1,000
Samsung: 842/1,000
Sony: 839/1,000

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
(iBooks? That’s been around since only 2010. Do you mean MacBooks?)
Ahh young one, allow me to educate you. An iBook was an Apple laptop a long time before it was a virtual library.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook

And I bet you thought "Behind Blue Eyes" was was an original song by Limp Bizkit .

As for the iPod, once it got cell phone capabilities and got rebranded as the iPhone, it should’ve been game over for the iPod. I’m surprised it’s stayed on this long after the iPhone
Two words my friend: capacity and modifiable - of course I'm talking about the iPod Classic, and not the iPod Touch. I just sold one of my iPod Classics last week - a Gen 7.5 with 160GB on board - for 15% more than I paid for it five years ago. The iPhone (in fact nearly all smartphones) still haven't reached that capacity, so it still allows more music to be carried around. Moreover, due to some great hacking work by the Chinese and one particular guy in the UK, you can upgrade those to 1TB. I think the iPhone 7 will max out at 256GB, and Samsug have only just produced a 256GB microSD Card, so that sets the upper limit for most other phones at no more than 512GB.

Conventional wisdom is that Apple’s recent successes have come from its willingness to let new products cannibalize sales of old products—something that many companies are reluctant to do. Apparently, it’s better for a new Apple product to cannibalize the sales of an old Apple product—better Apple than another company.
In the same way that that digital music cannibalised CDs, and CDs did vinyl records before that (yes, acknowledging a minor resurgence in that product category). Or online sources are doing to newspapers, on demand video to broadcast TV, air travel has largely done to trains for the majority of mass long-distance transport, and driverless cars and trucks will eventually do to the current paradigm of road transport - it's a never ending cycle of (mostly) improvement.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
I don't think it'll be a revenue leader, but only because of two things -- average selling price and outright volume.

It's not going to sell for as high a price as iPhones, iPads, and any of the Macs. It's also never going to sell at iPhone-like numbers simply because not all iPhone owners want a gadget on their wrist (indeed, many of them don't wear regular watches because they already get the time and date from their phones).

However, I think most people don't understand the scale we're talking about here. If the AW sells to just five or ten percent of iPhone owners, it's still tens of millions of watches. That's a LOT.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just read that the second version would be the same size and shape. I'm sure it will be lighter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
They are in this for the long game. More health sensors, when reliable and when passing regulation will become a key attraction for these devices. They hired people with phds on non invasive blood sugar and blood oxygen sensors, and other functions. When they crack that nut, that will be BIG.
For the upcoming v2, not sure if this is ready yet, but i expect the v2 to be more independent of the phone, be a bit thinner, and perhaps having a facetime camera.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts