WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to see what Mr Marei has in plan for us... I, for one, would love to see a Benthos.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Love the Benthos, not only for the overall design but also the unique chronograph implementation. AS has a rich history to cull and the market's appetite is clearly there so will be a fun ride regardless of what's on the horizon. The Deepstar Chrono continues to blow my mind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would love a ‘63 re-issue in the same exact size. Realistically though, I’m sure any reissue will bloat up the size and the proportions will not be quite right.

Either way, would like to see Aquastar offer another item.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't know if this is a bit off-topic but here it goes: i am in the market for a skindiver and am currently considering both the Seiko 62MAS re-issue (SLA017) and the Aquastar Deepstar - the steel grey is the one i prefer!
Some considerations i made: the SLA017 is awesome, but it still houses the 8L35 caliber which is commonly found on other Prospex models - one would have to "upgrade" to the latest 55th anniversary model to have the hi-beat variant of that movement, but that ref. comes at a steep price! ; the Aquastar, on the other hand, houses what's supposedly an exclusive caliber made by La Joux-Perret - which seems nice, albeit no one knows exactly how well it'll perform over the years, at least i sure don't!
The watch cases are virtually the same, from the shape of the lugs down to the 39mm diameter, which i find particularly congenial for my small wrists.
I am losing it a bit here, so let me just recap very quickly: which one would you go for? The Seiko is a good buy, and its movement is a tried and tested workhorse, but the Deepstar gives off strong nostalgia vibes...it's a tough call, really.
Thoughts? Thanks ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know if this is a bit off-topic but here it goes: i am in the market for a skindiver and am currently considering both the Seiko 62MAS re-issue (SLA017) and the Aquastar Deepstar - the steel grey is the one i prefer!
Some considerations i made: the SLA017 is awesome, but it still houses the 8L35 caliber which is commonly found on other Prospex models - one would have to "upgrade" to the latest 55th anniversary model to have the hi-beat variant of that movement, but that ref. comes at a steep price! ; the Aquastar, on the other hand, houses what's supposedly an exclusive caliber made by La Joux-Perret - which seems nice, albeit no one knows exactly how well it'll perform over the years, at least i sure don't!
The watch cases are virtually the same, from the shape of the lugs down to the 39mm diameter, which i find particularly congenial for my small wrists.
I am losing it a bit here, so let me just recap very quickly: which one would you go for? The Seiko is a good buy, and its movement is a tried and tested workhorse, but the Deepstar gives off strong nostalgia vibes...it's a tough call, really.
Thoughts? Thanks ;-)
The Seiko movement is to be desired. A total rip off for the price. They don’t even bother to regulate it. The advertised accuracy is nettly inferior to the the Deepstar. The LJP MOVEMENT runs in the 300’ amplitude and is almost within cosc. Mine blue runs -3 a day, with very little positional variance,
My black one is +1sec a day. The 8l movement is good, but not good enough for the price point.
Wrist size says sla if you have small wrists. Resale is a big ?????

·
Registered
635 Posts
Be interesting to see if they stick with the Benthos' relatively short L2L or make it similar to the Aquadive's longer lug length.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Seiko movement is to be desired. A total rip off for the price. They don’t even bother to regulate it. The advertised accuracy is nettly inferior to the the Deepstar. The LJP MOVEMENT runs in the 300’ amplitude and is almost within cosc. Mine blue runs -3 a day, with very little positional variance,
My black one is +1sec a day. The 8l movement is good, but not good enough for the price point.
Wrist size says sla if you have small wrists. Resale is a big ?????
Thanks for sharing your valuable opinion, i really appreciate it! Well then, let me put more cards on the table: what if i told you that i am also considering the Ollech & Wajs Navichron S? It has virtually the same size as the Deepstar, though it's 2mm thicker measuring a whopping 16.8mm, it features a tried-and-tested Valjoux 7753 which they adjust in 5 positions (it even features a comparable power reserve to the Aquastar at +/- 54 hrs whereas the Deepstar claims 55 hrs) no word about its accuracy though.
Apples to apples, if i had to choose based on aesthetics alone, i'd go for the Seiko, but i am a little worried about a) the 8L35 movt and b) its potential resale value; between the Deepstar and the Navichron it's a tough call, but i'd say Aquastar! Sadly, they are permanently sold out and i missed my chance, my only bet would be to find one in good pre-owned condition. The O&W is a nice piece, but somehow it feels almost like a "consolation prize". Thoughts?
Thanks ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for sharing your valuable opinion, i really appreciate it! Well then, let me put more cards on the table: what if i told you that i am also considering the Ollech & Wajs Navichron S? It has virtually the same size as the Deepstar, though it's 2mm thicker measuring a whopping 16.8mm, it features a tried-and-tested Valjoux 7753 which they adjust in 5 positions (it even features a comparable power reserve to the Aquastar at +/- 54 hrs whereas the Deepstar claims 55 hrs) no word about its accuracy though.
Apples to apples, if i had to choose based on aesthetics alone, i'd go for the Seiko, but i am a little worried about a) the 8L35 movt and b) its potential resale value; between the Deepstar and the Navichron it's a tough call, but i'd say Aquastar! Sadly, they are permanently sold out and i missed my chance, my only bet would be to find one in good pre-owned condition. The O&W is a nice piece, but somehow it feels almost like a "consolation prize". Thoughts?
Thanks ;-)
Don’t know about ollech. Aquastar has a richer heritage probably....
8l35 is an excellent movement, but Seiko specs are -10/+15, which for a watch of 4K is ridiculous. It often runs much much more precise. Seiko tends to underpromise.
Seiko resale will be great, and superb proportions......
Pm if you’re looking for an Aquastar. I have one in black, Bnib. I bot both blue and black and chose blue, I’m a sucker for blue dials

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks ;-)
The green Aquastar Deepstar is not sold out yet.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I, too, am in the same boat with the Deepstar - love the looks but afraid it is simply too much watch for my small wrist.

My hope is maybe they re-issue the Regate model some time down the line. I think that would be cool to see a modern take on their vintage regatta timer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I, too, am in the same boat with the Deepstar - love the looks but afraid it is simply too much watch for my small wrist.

My hope is maybe they re-issue the Regate model some time down the line. I think that would be cool to see a modern take on their vintage regatta timer.
I’m with you, would love a regate yacht timer in this case

Actually, just rerelease this exact Aquastar 🤩

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Something in a yellow dial or yellow accents please, that is not massive and preferably not a cushion case, please?

Reactions: braidn
1 - 20 of 24 Posts