WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theoretical question: Would like to hear nominations for your best pure manual wind (not auto) that's also sturdy/robust but cheap, preferably under $100USD?

In other words, what do you think is the best cheap manual wind watch that's "sturdy enough to be a daily beater"? Photos encouraged!

·
11,799 Posts
Any Russian Vostok would qualify....$30 to $50 for any one you like. I collect mostly Navy themed ones but there are hundreds of styles out there. I have a couple vintage not pictured as well.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Theoretical question: Would like to hear nominations for your best pure manual wind (not auto) that's also sturdy/robust but cheap, preferably under $100USD?
In other words, what do you think is the best cheap manual wind watch that's "sturdy enough to be a daily beater"? Photos encouraged!
I nominate any Chinese 6497 based watch, which are unbreakable assuming you don't receive a lemon. Easily attainable in many styles for under $100. Let's just say a Marina Militare:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Any Russian Vostock would qualify....
Ah, I was going to nominate the Amphibia's and Kommandirskie's at first (unbreakable little buggers for almost zilch costs) but thought they were auto's.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any Russian Vostock would qualify....$30 to $50 for any one you like. I collect mostly Navy themed ones but there are hundreds of styles out there. I have a couple vintage ont pictured as well.

Wow, some real nice iron here, I esp. like this one above with the hex case and battleship! What's this one called, does it have a model name or number? Thanks for the pics!

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,147 Posts
Another vote for Vostok...

The 6497s are terrific, often more currently stylish, and available for around the same price if you sleuth or haunt the online auctions, but the Vostoks *retail* for the prices you're seeing quoted here :-!

One of mine:

The Komandirskies are durable "manual, not automatic" mechanicals built for everyday wear.

·
11,799 Posts
Ah, I was going to nominate the Amphibia's and Kommandirskie's at first (unbreakable little buggers for almost zilch costs) but thought they were auto's.
All the ones I showed pictures of are manual wind...I love 'em!!

·
11,799 Posts
Wow, some real nice iron here, I esp. like this one above with the hex case and battleship! What's this one called, does it have a model name or number? Thanks for the pics!
Sorry, That watch is a mystery...I have never seen another one and have no model number ID. I found it on eBay and knew I had to have it! I put a Spidel premium bracelet on it and it's awesome! Wish I could tell you more.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are a huge number of manual wind Russian watches, most of which are fairly affordable and sturdy. Although I can't say I really love the way most of the modern vostoks look. Other than that a Chinese 6497 clone is probably the next best choice, and their are more styles for the price range.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a huge number of manual wind Russian watches, most of which are fairly affordable and sturdy. Although I can't say I really love the way most of the modern vostoks look. Other than that a Chinese 6497 clone is probably the next best choice, and their are more styles for the price range.
Thanks guys - are these the watches seen on various websites known as "Russian Military Vostok" styles for $30.00 to $50.00? The Russian watch thing is kind of confusing to me, many companies some with overlapping names.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The HMT Pilots and Janata from India. USD 12 each. They all can be sturdy daily beaters!

Photo by Fmattes/Pil-Mil forum.(Black Pilot)

Photos by ralbert/Pil-Mil forum(White pilot/Janata)

The following are autos, but since they are very sturdy daily beaters and qualify on the basis of cost, I am posting these too:

Photo by ralbert/Pil-Mil forum (HMT Rajat/USD 21 approx)

Photo by Reto/PMWF (HMT Kedar/USD 30 approx)

HMT ADSL 03 automatic/USD 45 approx (photo is mine)

·
11,799 Posts
Thanks guys - are these the watches seen on various websites known as "Russian Military Vostok" styles for $30.00 to $50.00? The Russian watch thing is kind of confusing to me, many companies some with overlapping names.
Zenitar is trusted on eBay...buy from him. Russia2all.com is a forum sponser but is not stocked very well with regular Vostok right now. Check out the site and sign up for email, deals are awesome!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love Vostok Komandirskies. Here's a few of mine, one new production, an early 80's 3AKA3, and a 1950's (now gone):oops:. Still missing pics of a few of mine.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
^^^^ that one is quite nice

Smirs.com has quite a few Vostok's and Vostok amphibia's, and fairly decent prices thanks to a favorable exchange rate but the downside is shipping from Russia is slow.

Also Russian watch forum sponsor vostok-watches.com, but the poor euro to usd might make it slightly pricier, but remeber prices on their website are listed with 19% vat which you as a non-eu resident don't have to pay.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,147 Posts
The Vostok with a hex case looks like one of the Vostok "Partner" style variants but I haven't ever seen another with that type of face.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
all my vintage seiko manual from 1950-1960s
from cal 66xx to high beat manual wind

all still has > 40 hours PR and accuracy within COSC
all my best manual watch is vintage manual seiko for me

I bought it all for 30-50 $
the most expensive is the high beat manual from marvel and king seiko
but it still < 200 $

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, beautiful watches all! I'm into hand winds lately, will definitely check some of these out. Wish we could source the watches from India too!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
The cheapest sturdiest manual wind would have to be an 18 jewel vostok amphibia.I have one, but do not believe they are produced any longer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts