WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
G-Shock Mod
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering for the bezel on hydrocarbons, whats the lume material?

is the lume on bezel also tritium?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe they are superluminova. But definitley not tritium tubes.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Chong's right, the bezel markers are of Super Luminova and must be fully charged for maximum lume output. Some of the Hydrocarbon models, like the TMTs, the Mid-Size(aka "Mid Cow"), and the Hydrocarbon Ti(aka "Mad Cow"), have a tritium tube at the 12 marker with its own sapphire crystal window. :-!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have found the SL on Ball bezels needs a good charging to be really visible and readable. Oh, and be careful...that little light tube on the bezel "pip" can fall out and you'll never realize it until it's too late! (Personal experience) I'm told it can be replaced though.

Chong's right, the bezel markers are of Super Luminova and must be fully charged for maximum lume output. Some of the Hydrocarbon models, like the TMTs, the Mid-Size(aka "Mid Cow"), and the Hydrocarbon Ti(aka "Mad Cow"), have a tritium tube at the 12 marker with its own sapphire crystal window. :-!

·
Registered
736 Posts
This thread has come up in a timely mannor for me as I have just recently acquired an engineer hydrocarbon classic II. Everything I have read, encluding the owners manual, states that luminova is used on the bezel markers. However, after going from a very bright environment to a dark one I don't see any lume at all! I even tried to charge it with a surefire combat flashlight which is very bright, to no avail. The tritium tubes are very bright though. I do have superluminova on other watches I own, so I am aware of what the product is capable of. I will certainly bring this up the next time I'm at Old Northeast Jewelers.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
SL needs to be very thick to achieve long lasting lume. I have several SL watches and the paint is very thick indeed. My Anonimo is a good example.

I just don't think there is enough room on the bezel for a thick layer of sl.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
nimbushopper--I have noticed the same thing on the Ball bezel lume--ordinary indoor light does not charge it. I hold my Hydrocarbons underl a bright bulb for a bit and then it will glow OK. There is nothing wrong with your watch, the SL on the Ball bezels just does not behave like the SL on other watches for some reason? :-s

·
Registered
510 Posts
:-s Perhaps the BALL product is not SL. It doesn't sound like it's behaving properly.

RC Tritec and NoctiLumina are the main companies that supply Superluminova.

Maglite, LED light, Flourescent desk lamp, normal bed lamp...should all charge this SL to a steady glow just as on a watch dial.

Thickness should not matter. Surface area, now that's what we talk alot about on the Seiko Modification board.

Here is a modded Bezel on a Monster. As you can see, no problem. And 15-20 minutes later. Still the same as the dial. Glow fades away gradually.

http://www.bobthayerjr.com/watches/025.htm

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks for the feedback caldiver. I'm not seriously concerned about it but I will try and give it more lumens to see if I can get a better response.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found the SL on Ball bezels needs a good charging to be really visible and readable. Oh, and be careful...that little light tube on the bezel "pip" can fall out and you'll never realize it until it's too late! (Personal experience) I'm told it can be replaced though.
how bad is the tritium bezel "pip" falling out? how's the pip being secured to the watch? (glue? if it could fall out, then obviously not permanent enough)

·
Registered
111 Posts
The pip at 12 is a regular tritium vial marker. The rest of the bezel is some kind of glow-in-the-dark plastic inlaid into the metal bezel. It is not a paint at all. It is weak, and only will glow sort of dimly for 10 minutes of so on a full charge from an ultraviolet light source. That is the one part of the Hydrocarbon that I say could stand some major improvement.

I had to expose for 25 seconds to get this much glow in my photo below, I was charging with an Inova X-1 UV flashlight just prior to starting the exposure.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I had to expose for 25 seconds to get this much glow in my photo below, I was charging with an Inova X-1 UV flashlight just prior to starting the exposure.
Hey, I've got an Inova X-1 UV, too! It's a neat little flashlight, well made, and it adds a certain fun factor to owning Ball watches, as well as other tritium watches. :-!

;-)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey, I've got an Inova X-1 UV, too! It's a neat little flashlight, well made, and it adds a certain fun factor to owning Ball watches, as well as other tritium watches.
I also have one of the old Arc AAA-UV lights too. I was hoping the Inova would be brighter, but really is just a more focused, narrow beam. I keep the Arc in my backpack with my notebook PC and keep the Inova with my camera gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts