WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes read people being really upset over a watch not having drilled lugs. Why? Why are drilled lugs such a big deal?

Here's a gratuitous pic of a watch I think is a m a z i ng, but has no drilled lugs ;) My one-of-a-kind DC82Si by Damasko.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well, as I am sure you are aware, they are handy for strap changes :)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
You could use shoulder-less spring bars which tend to be more stronger.
Easier to change, probably less damage to your watch (I have seen some hack jobs on the drilled lugs as well, so it isn't "panacea" some people thinks)

Reactions: joeax61 and emgee79

·
Registered
877 Posts
Drilled lugs are great for strap changes and I appreciate them on a watch. However they are not essential - just good to have.
I do think that true tool watches need drilled lugs though - they are a very practical feature and any watch claiming to be a tool that can be used in the field needs to have them, in my opinion.

gratuitous pic of a tool watch with drilled lugs:

·
Registered
812 Posts
But what about putting it back? You still need a spring bar tool to compress the ends. Or you could use a fingernail and slide the spring bar end against the inside of the lug, to make your own "brushed finish" ;)
Inserting a spring bar is generally easier/less prone to scratching than removing one. I always appreciated the drilled lugs on my Sinn when I had it. It also looks more "tool watch", if that's the aesthetic you like.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've never done any "pull tests" myself but I tend to believe that a shoulder-less spring bar would offer greater shear/tear strength than a traditional spring bar based on how far the shoulder-less spring bar goes into the lug. Also I like the design aesthetic they bring to a watch, tool watch or not.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Drilled lugs are great for strap changes and I appreciate them on a watch. However they are not essential - just good to have.
I do think that true tool watches need drilled lugs though - they are a very practical feature and any watch claiming to be a tool that can be used in the field needs to have them, in my opinion.

gratuitous pic of a tool watch with drilled lugs:

View attachment 15861479

That band is a good example of the need. Try putting a thick leather strap on a watch without them and it is very difficult to take the band back off. Especially if the band is tight in the lugs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, as I am sure you are aware, they are handy for strap changes :)
nop, not aware :D I practically never change straps and the only times I have done so is on watches where there weren't push pins but when the strap was held in place by screws.

·
Registered
Tudor BB Heritage, Certina DS Podium Automatic, Vintage Tudor Oyster Royal, Vintage Garrard 9ct.
87 Posts
Always worth having a pair of spring bar tweezers. Amount of stunning watches I've seen that have gone from bracelet to strap using a butter knife and a shoe as tools. Lugs completely ruined.....
If your going to spend good of money on a watch, spend £10 on tools. Tweezers are still a bugger to use on some models but much, much safer.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just installed my 1st strap with quick release spring bars on my son's watch that does not have drilled lugs, se razor blade to get the shouldered bars out, it was on a nato, the new spring bars work well and seem very secure, eliminating the need for drilled lugs or any tool, but the strap and or bracelet must be accommodating.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I sometimes read people being really upset over a watch not having drilled lugs. Why? Why are drilled lugs such a big deal?

Here's a gratuitous pic of a watch I think is a m a z i ng, but has no drilled lugs ;) My one-of-a-kind DC82Si by Damasko.

View attachment 15861447
Well it's never been a deal breaker for me, but is certainly an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think this is one of those things where brands side with the market as a whole rather than watch enthusiasts.

• Watch enthusiasts: "Nice, drilled lugs. Not only does it have that utilitarian retro feel but it is also handy for the many strap changes I plan to do."
  • Other people: "There are holes on the side of this watch. I wonder why. Whatever the reason it is not really all that elegant."
Personally I prefer the many "toolless" designs for strap changes that are now becoming more popular. That is one trend that I hope really continues.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
405 Posts
If given the option, drilled lugs for me.

Reduces the likelihood of scratching the lugs with strap bracelet changes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts