WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don't know if many Middle-Earthers knew this, but Gollum was a budding watch enthusiast before his demise...

gollum2.jpg

·
Registered
475 Posts
I sometimes read people being really upset over a watch not having drilled lugs. Why? Why are drilled lugs such a big deal?

Here's a gratuitous pic of a watch I think is a m a z i ng, but has no drilled lugs ;) My one-of-a-kind DC82Si by Damasko.

View attachment 15861447
The only time I find drilled lugs useful is when removing a bracelet. Sometimes they can be a pain to remove. With a regular strap I prefer to remove it from the back. With just a little bit of practice you can become pretty skilled at removing straps. I still put a little tape on the lugs just in case. Not having drilled lugs is no big deal.

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
Push spring bar out with tool through hole, remove bar and change strap, easy.

No hole........ not so easy, but often you get scratches on your lugs.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Three of my Nine watches have drilled lugs. Well, my Aquis uses a bolt so not sure if you would called them drilled but there is definitely a hole thru the lugs.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
orpheo,
I believe it is a carryover, when Divers tool watches were used and an essential piece of equipment. Changing out straps was needed as the rubber or leather straps deteriorated with the salt water. Many would take and give their watch strap a good tug and visual inspection before each dive. Remember, this is my opinion only. Vance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love swapping straps so the speed holes certainly help.

Just imagine if the OG BlackBay or BB58 had drilled lugs like the Bronze. 🤤

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It's not an issue with me either way since I don't change straps and bracelets very often. I've changed plenty of straps/bracelets on watches without drilled lugs, and everyone usually escapes injury, but it is more tedious.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,005 Posts
An unfolded paper clip is my go to tool for drilled lugs strap change, works a treat.
I preach about Swatches being good for how you don't need any special tools to maintain them. A coin and a paperclip is all you need. Hell, in a pinch, a piece of paperclip can substitute if the original retainer bar gets lost.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I originally preferred the look of cases without drilled lugs due to what I thought was a cleaner look but then after experiencing drilled lugs with how often I like to change up straps, I appreciate the functionality.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
According to Q, this is a necessary accoutrement for more precise aiming of laser-equipped watches - not sure how this got missed by the props department

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like them for their convenience, BUT it really depends on the case. Works fine in my 5KX and Mini Turtle but I would imagine it’d be awful in the Citizen (second image). The hole would just bleed into that nice curve.

·
Premium Member
7,793 Posts
Q. Why are drilled lugs such a big deal?
A. Drilled lugs are not a big deal. For it gives the watch a more utilitarian look in its design as being a strap-changing tool watch.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I've never done any "pull tests" myself but I tend to believe that a shoulder-less spring bar would offer greater shear/tear strength than a traditional spring bar based on how far the shoulder-less spring bar goes into the lug. Also I like the design aesthetic they bring to a watch, tool watch or not.
And then there's Seiko that puts shoulder-less spring bars on their SKX that doesn't have drilled lugs! It's easier to hack off the strap into pieces than remove the spring bars. What kind of sadistic monsters are making these decisions at Seiko?!?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts