WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Given that your Damasko is hardened steel, prob not much of an issue to not have drilled lugs. Other watches, it's a life (or case) saver.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Also you get that Richard Dean Anderson[ Macgyver] feeling, using a paperclip to do a job😁
Bit difficult to put them back in with a paperclip though! I guess a fingernail or something similarly Bear Grylls would do it for most spring bars, if you're just fitting a strap. With endlinks, especially hollow ones, you still need the spring-bar compression tool anyway :unsure:

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I drink and smoke so much that my hands are so shakey that I can't change watch straps without hurting the watch lugs.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,003 Posts
Bit difficult to put them back in with a paperclip though! I guess a fingernail or something similarly Bear Grylls would do it for most spring bars, if you're just fitting a strap. With endlinks, especially hollow ones, you still need the spring-bar compression tool anyway :unsure:
I'd say the tool is more of a "great-to-have" than "need" as I was able to work the springbars back into my SKX and its hollow endlinks with my fingernail. (removing the bracelet without a proper tool, and without lug holes, is a PITA, of course)

SPEAKING OF WHICH....

If I take my hole-less watch to a local watchmaker, how quickly will he try to punch me if I ask him to drill some holes into the lugs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
But what about putting it back? You still need a spring bar tool to compress the ends. Or you could use a fingernail and slide the spring bar end against the inside of the lug, to make your own "brushed finish" ;)
Yeah, drilled lugs are the false prophet of strap changes. Makes it about 20% faster to remove, zero percent faster to install.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Push spring bar out with tool through hole, remove bar and change strap, easy.

No hole........ not so easy, but often you get scratches on your lugs.
You're forgetting the part where you scratch the hell out of the lugs installing a new strap that you will probably replace in a week anyway. It's a viscous cycle that Barton is counting on as part of their business model.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Given that your Damasko is hardened steel, prob not much of an issue to not have drilled lugs. Other watches, it's a life (or case) saver.
I'm curious about this, how does the hardened steel case add benefit to drilled vs non drilled lugs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it a retro thing? When I look at older watches they seem to have non-drilled lugs o4 soldered/fixed lugs
The drilled lug thing seems to be a more modern element, for when people started changing straps for every outfit. I'm pretty in olden days most people just had one watch and one strap.
Is there a specific model/s that inspired the drilled lug trend?
I think so. A lot of vintage watches have drilled lugs. Rolex had 'em till the 1990s. Here's a picture of an older Patek with drilled lugs. That said, I have a 1960s omega dress watch that does not have drilled lugs.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I'm curious about this, how does the hardened steel case add benefit to drilled vs non drilled lugs?
Probably because a hardened case is less prone to scratches from changing straps?

Personally I've never scratched the tops of my lugs from removing springbars, which I usually approach from the top and push downwards while gently squeezing the strap a between thumb and forefinger to expose the springbar shoulder. Most little scratches on my watches are on the underside of the lugs from pushing the springbars in from below. In which case drilled lugs make no difference whatsoever.

I think drilled lugs can and do help to make bracelet removal a lot easier. As for straps made from leather, rubber etc., they hardly make any difference to me. A few seconds saved at most.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts