WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with my old Gulfman several years ago. Then I decided to try something different so, after much research, I bough a GW 9300 Mudman. It was too large and thick for me so I sold it. For something completely different I just got a new GW 5610 and love it.
After much reading on the squares, I started to become drawn to the GW 5000 but I don't know why. Is this some sort of disease???

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
No disease and since first g-shock the square g-shock are more popular and a lot people like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: karhu

·
Registered
189 Posts
What's the deal with the "Squares"

Squares are by far my favorite G-Shock design, and probably favorite digital watch design in general. They're the original, classic form factor, discreet, practical, comfortable, and in my opinion are able to "dress up" the best...I don't hesitate to wear mine with a dress shirt for instance. I say go for the GW-5000 if you like it...it's really not all that expensive, and once you feel that soft resin and dense weight on your wrist, you'll be hooked too...

·
Registered
493 Posts
The design was very popular in the 80's, so the people who grew up back then (I was a kid back then too) still like them. I guess. Plus the watch looks simple. It's a classic.
I have a DW-5000SL, and I really love it, but honest: I like my Gulfman and Mudmaster even a bit more. I guess I am just attracted to oversized watches in general. That's also why I liked G-Shocks in the nineties, when I was a teenager. :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the "Squares"

To me it has to do with the elegance of simplicity in design, especially as it pertains to function. Similar to the way that minimalist architecture is considerably more appealing than gaudy ornate structures that cost much more to build.

If you find yourself drawn to the GW5000, I say go for it. It is the epitome of this utilitarian concept, insofar as it's heft gives it a feel of luxury and quality that is purely for the wearer's pleasure, rather than a ostentatious symbol of one's status. If you do end up picking one up, I suggest giving the combi bracelet some consideration. The pairing of the two make for a perfect combination, IMO

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
81a4c03d72925921f57cf038466268dc.jpg

To be rational or real. To go square or not to go square that is the question... :-d

Square G's addiction is definitely a disease it is called SquareG-itis. So now you know!b-)

I am not so badly effected by it since I mostly go round but I am contemplating getting the lime green 5610...:rodekaart:-d

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's the deal with the "Squares"

The call for a GW 5000 is getting louder.
I suppose I could use it as my "dress" watch.
Well how about even louder! I just ordered one that should be here Next Tuesday. After getting a frogman and experiencing just how nice the screw-back and solid metal case are I had to have one. It will be nice to fit under the sleeve of my work dress shirts and will be more discreet and professional. It's quite a step up from normal G's, I wish they made more in that way, even with the nicer resin. Truly needs to be felt to be appreciated. There's truth in saying it's the "Rolex of G Shocks." 🏼️

Edit: Also, love your avatar, one of my all time favorite bands! Got a couple newer vinyl releases from them for Christmas.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Square sickness? Want another square? Wait 'til you hear this. Casio is releasing a brand new square with hi-tech features! Long and behold the GGWM5610-1DT.

gwm5610doubletapgps.jpg

:-d

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I like the looks of the combi-bracelet. Not familiar with it. Where to get it? Also are bands interchangeable between the 5000 and 5610?

·
Registered
550 Posts
ooooo....transcendental

View attachment 7113802

To be rational or real. To go square or not to go square that is the question... :-d

Square G's addiction is definitely a disease it is called SquareG-itis. So now you know!b-)

I am not so badly effected by it since I mostly go round but I am contemplating getting the lime green 5610...:rodekaart:-d

·
Registered
618 Posts
I love them.
They fit well under my work shirt cuffs and are unobtrusive on my wrist when I play golf ( my other serious passion)

·
Premium Member
13,975 Posts
View attachment 7113802

Did someone say Green? ;)

P2120005.JPG

1 - 20 of 52 Posts