WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Omega Speedmaster and Omega Seamaster are almost certainly the top two on these forums from what I read. And for many in the Seiko community it would be a Grand Seiko or MarineMaster. And for G-Shock fans a Frogman. And in the High-End watches category the Lange 1 or possibly a Calatrava. And for the Rolex community a new or vintage Submariner or Paul Newman Daytona. And on and on..

Kindest regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
On these forums it varies quite a bit. In the "normal world" I'm guessing most people who want a nice watch would save up to buy a Rolex Submariner.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Orange/black Monster! Realistically, perhaps the Speedy, PO or the Sub.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The way people use the word "grail" is interesting to me. A lot of people seem to use it just to describe something that's readily available but out of their reach financially. I'd love to own a Lange Datograph, for example, but there's no way I could afford to buy one. If I won the lottery tomorrow, however, it would be pretty easy for me to buy one and have it on my wrist in short order. To me, a "grail" is something more than just an expensive watch that I can't afford to buy, it's something that's exceedingly rare, or may not exist at all. Even if you had all the money in the world, it would take a significant amount of time and effort to find one, if one can be found at all. Using that interpretation, a grail is not just a cal. 321 Speedmaster, but Buzz Aldrin's moon-flown Speedmaster, which we know exists, but has been lost for 30 or 40 years.

Reactions: NightOwl

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Definitely the Rolex Sub and Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster - they consistently top marketing surveys regarding brand recognition for luxury watches and by huge margins over everyone else (the sole exception is Patek).

Within watch forums, there's a lot more appreciation for lesser known brands. As other posters have mentioned Seiko gets a lot more respect and I'd say Zenith - usually with an El Primero movement - is a pretty common grail here as well.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I saw that one too.
That's why I say while it is high on my hit list, it isn't really a grail.
The reasons I like it aren't for watch reasons; it's all to do with Aliens and one of my design heroes.

More grail-like watches would be a 5513 Sub (preferably my birth year) or 1964 Carrera but they're not really unobtanium so not sure if they really count as being a grail in the way that a bespoke one-off made in the 1950s might be.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
In the outside world, I would bet money it's a Rolex -- either a Datejust or a Submariner.
In here there is no telling.

·
Registered
494 Posts
On these fora, a Sub or Speedmaster Pro
I would agree. The Speedy was my grail, but I would have guessed Sub for most people.

I, for one, would dispute the grail = super rare or expensive theory. If I would never be able to get the watch even after deliberate planning and saving, then I really wouldn't be interested. I understand that "grail" implies there is only one and good luck finding it, but many of us don't use it in that sense. To me, grail just describes what my favorite watch is.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
My grail would be a Breitling Blackbird... Out of reach for me but not really because of the pricetag. I could afford it but the wife only slightly tolerates my horologic mania and I can't risk her discontent if I brought home another expensive watch! She's hopelessly frugal and practical, always wears a throwaway $9.99 special Chinese quartz watch.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
A Lange and Sohne – Richard Lange Tourbillon "Pour leMérite"

Or

Patek Philippe – Any Master Repeater

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Speedmaster Pro...I think.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The way people use the word "grail" is interesting to me. A lot of people seem to use it just to describe something that's readily available but out of their reach financially. I'd love to own a Lange Datograph, for example, but there's no way I could afford to buy one. If I won the lottery tomorrow, however, it would be pretty easy for me to buy one and have it on my wrist in short order. To me, a "grail" is something more than just an expensive watch that I can't afford to buy, it's something that's exceedingly rare, or may not exist at all. Even if you had all the money in the world, it would take a significant amount of time and effort to find one, if one can be found at all. Using that interpretation, a grail is not just a cal. 321 Speedmaster, but Buzz Aldrin's moon-flown Speedmaster, which we know exists, but has been lost for 30 or 40 years.
I like your definition of "grail" better than the commonly accepted one. I also refer to that expensive, but accessible watch as a grail. In my case, it's the Seiko Marine Master 300. What would you consider a more precise word for the expensive, but accessible watch? The "dream" watch? I guess grail's just catchier sounding.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've seen so many people declare that the No-Date Sub is their grail in so many grail threads that I don't need to read grail threads any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts